Bret Harris | June 26, 2009

Article from: The Australian

WALLABIES playmaker Matt Giteau is surprised by the selection of French five-eighth Lionel Beauxis ahead of the in-form Francois Trinh-Duc for the Test in Sydney tomorrow night, but there may be method in the madness.

With the injury-hit and fatigued French approaching the last game of a long season, coach Marc Lievremont is believed to be keeping some of his powder dry on the reserves bench, which he will name today.

The French may use Beauxis to parry the Wallabies with his kicking game and bring on the more dangerous Trinh-Duc to deliver the coup de grace.

Trinh-Duc played well in the drawn series with the All Blacks, but he was one of seven changes to the team that lost 14-10 to New Zealand in Wellington last Saturday.

"They have obviously changed a few things," Giteau said. "I thought Trinh-Duc would have been playing flyhalf.

"But I think they have the same sort of policy that we have. They have a rotation system. They are trying to blood new players, create that depth. And the players they are bringing in have got experience.

"It's going to be a tricky side to prepare for, but we are under no illusions. We always knew this game was going to be tough."

Giteau admitted he didn't know much about Beauxis, who plays for the Ewen McKenzie-coached French club Stade Francaise.

"I only just found out that he was picked. I've looked at a little bit of club football and I'm going to do a lot more research tonight. Come tomorrow I'll have a clearer picture."

One of the things Giteau is sure to glean about Beauxis is that he is not a strong defender. The other thing the Wallabies will need to be aware of is Beauxis' love of kicking field goals.

It would be surprising if the Wallabies do not target the number 10 defensive channel.

But the French will have a capable defender at inside centre in rising Perpignan star Maxime Mermoz, who has been switched from outside centre.

"He is a very dangerous runner and very good defensively," Giteau said. "Obviously, they have a bit of a focus on our outside backs when they come in and run those tight angles, being strong runners.

"I think they need to stiffen up their defence there and they've done that."
Meanwhile, Wallabies number eight Richard Brown has predicted a "vicious" battle at the breakdown between the rival backrows.

"It's going to be a tough game," said Brown, who will be lining up against the French for the first time.

"Their forward pack play really well together. They are not one-out individuals. They are a tight unit. It's always a harder job, playing against a team that works together.

"(They are) pretty vicious at the breakdown. They work well together. They don't leave it up to one bloke to do all the hard yards. They are an outstanding backrow, I reckon."

The French exposed the All Blacks at the breakdown in their Two-Test series, but at least the Wallabies know what to expect.

"Maybe the All Blacks didn't know what they were in for. They didn't expect their intensity, which I don't think anyone did really," Brown said. "We can see that coming and we need to match it.

"It's an advantage if you can see your opponent before they come out against you.
"It doesn't mean you can predict what they are going to do, but you can be slightly more prepared."

France openside flanker Fulgence Ouedraogo described Wallabies number seven George Smith as a "pain" at the breakdown.

"I have been watching him since I was a kid," Ouedraogo said. "He's very good in recycling ball. He's a real pain for the other team."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html