Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies give up on O'Connor

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies give up on O'Connor

Chris Dutton, Canberra Times | June 9, 2009 - 12:18PM

The ACT Brumbies will no longer pursue the signature of boom Wallabies teenager James O'Connor for the 2010 Super 14 season.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said yesterday the club was "moving on" from its attempt to lure O'Connor to the capital and follow in the footsteps of flyhalf Matt Giteau.

"I'm actually working pretty firmly on the basis that he will stay over there [in Perth] and that hasn't changed," Fagan said.

"I've got nothing to suggest he's coming to us, we're sort of moving on in that regard and making plans and we have been probably for the last three weeks."

Fagan said the Brumbies would still invest in a young outside back, but a decision was not likely in the coming weeks.

The Brumbies had been considered favourites to gain talented utility back O'Connor when Mark Gerrard announced he was leaving Canberra to start a stint in Japan.

Despite the 18-year-old being in camp with the Wallabies in Canberra this week, Fagan and O'Connor will not meet.

Fagan said he had not completely ruled out signing O'Connor, but they were exploring other options in the meantime.

O'Connor is still undecided on his future, and said there was no time frame on his decision.

"I'm still a little while off making a decision, it's a big decision for me so I just want to wait and make the right one," O'Connor told The Canberra Times.

"It is coming to a close but I've got no news just yet."

While O'Connor is unlikely to join the two-time Super champions, trio Peter Kimlin, Mark Chisholm and Salesi Ma'afu have agreed to terms with the Brumbies and are just finalising specific details.

Following the signing of Rocky Elsom, the Brumbies have offered Mitchell Chapman a new deal and expect a decision on his future by the end of the week.

Chapman's flanker partner Julian Salvi will leave to join a team in either Europe or Japan.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...313122948.html

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Now whats going on, these reporters are putting us on an emotional roller coaster!

0 Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies give up on O'Connor

Great news for us. If true. Could be a ploy to spur him into action. I must admit that I am a little disappointed that the Reds chose not to pick up either Salvi or Robinson who are both Super 14 standard and Australian instead of talk of Daniel Braid re-signing. Either one would be a great long term option.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 09-06-09 at 12:12.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Good news

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    It's called Reverse Psychology

0 Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Aww why did he have to come out and say that?

Now the Reporters from the East will have to find a new story.

0 Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Confirms the inside word on the street here in Perth.

Looks like the Eastern States journos have been spouting sh*t for the last couple of months (so what's new?!) as they scrape together the pickings of a story.

0 Not allowed!
    CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Apprentice Contributor Big Boots's Avatar
    vCash
    "Brumbies give up on O'Connor"

4 hours seems to be a long day in Canberra.

"Brumbies don't have a clue what they are doing" should be the headline out in 2 hours.

Just goes to show its all speculative wank.

0 Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    This article is just as speculative as all the ones saying he is heading to the Brumbies. But there is an additional subtext, when Fagan has chosen to make a quote - the real guts of this article is:

"I've got nothing to suggest he's coming to us, we're sort of moving on in that regard and making plans and we have been probably for the last three weeks."
    (Ooohh, we're going, going, going, going....)
    Fagan said the Brumbies would still invest in a young outside back, but a decision was not likely in the coming weeks.
    (but we're not gone yet, so call now and you can get a free set of steak knives while stock last...)

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Maybe they're after SBW.

0 Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Chris Dutton, Canberra Times | June 9, 2009 - 12:18PM

The ACT Brumbies will no longer pursue the signature of boom Wallabies teenager James O'Connor for the 2010 Super 14 season.

Despite the 18-year-old being in camp with the Wallabies in Canberra this week, Fagan and O'Connor will not meet.

Fagan said he had not completely ruled out signing O'Connor, but they were exploring other options in the meantime.

O'Connor is still undecided on his future, and said there was no time frame on his decision.

"I'm still a little while off making a decision, it's a big decision for me so I just want to wait and make the right one," O'Connor told The Canberra Times.

"It is coming to a close but I've got no news just yet."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...313122948.html
    So its looks like that fact that James O'Connor & council can't make a decision the decision will be made for them...

Indecisive management rarely makes a good decision and often only watches opportunities in life pass by… To lose the opportunity to make a decision is directionless and rather poor management no matter which team he chose… I can understand the Brumbies moving on… Best to be progressive…

If JO’C has hitched his career path to prop up the depleted Force good luck to him… I hope he makes it work… Otherwise he best get down to Brumby HQ and come to an agreement as Fagan isn’t a man who can’t make a decision… the Brumbies always have direction…

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Brumbies "We don't want you"

JOC's manager "OK but we'll take a pay cut and he'll sign for alot less"

Brumbies "Here's a pen"

We should get SBW...

0 Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    The force must have offered a shite load of money for him to be taking so long.

0 Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I'm with tdevil - Fagan by name, Fagan by nature. The manipulation of the young and innocent to meet your own sinister ends!!

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    So its looks like that fact that James O'Connor & council can't make a decision the decision will be made for them...

Indecisive management rarely makes a good decision and often only watches opportunities in life pass by… To lose the opportunity to make a decision is directionless and rather poor management no matter which team he chose… I can understand the Brumbies moving on… Best to be progressive…

If JO’C has hitched his career path to prop up the depleted Force good luck to him… I hope he makes it work… Otherwise he best get down to Brumby HQ and come to an agreement as Fagan isn’t a man who can’t make a decision… the Brumbies always have direction…
    That's the saddest most desperate post I've read.

0 Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast