Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TRI-NATIONS to FIVE NATIONS in 2009

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow TRI-NATIONS to FIVE NATIONS in 2009

The pressure is on SANZAR to finesse its rugby tournaments in the southern hemisphere and to provide the three Rugby Unions, their sponsors and broadcasters, with rugby tournaments that are relative and contemporary to modern sports fans.

Change and a makeover of rugby is inevitable and it has to happen sooner than later. And now is as good a time as any to reinvent itself for the future and good of the game.

SANZAR as the rugby triumvirate of the rugby unions of South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, tasked with charting a strategic course for rugby in the southern hemisphere, has shown it is out of step with the rugby tournaments and offering in Europe.

In the fast paced world of international stadium sports, the existing SANZAR flagship tournaments and format of the Tri-Nations and Super 14 rugby tournaments have gradually become sterile and lack the innovation and dynamism to attract new spectators and television audiences.

It is uncanny that the rugby sponsors and television broadcasters, who are supposed to be so in touch and in sync with their customers, consumers and target audiences on a daily basis, should be silent witnesses to the steady asphyxiation of rugby.

Players and fans, who are the sponsors’ target market, are clamouring for change and none is forthcoming from SANZAR.

Where is the modern day rugby branding and strategic positioning of the game for the future?

The symptoms of the demise of the outdated tournaments are the persistent exodus and loss of elite players to Europe and plummeting gate attendances.

South Africa alone, has hundreds of elite rugby players abroad plying their trade in some 20 countries around the world.

The All Blacks could field a potent charismatic side made up of their players in Europe. It almost suggests that a contest between an overseas All Black side playing the current crop of All Blacks, or an overseas Springbok side versus a local Springbok team, would pack the spectators to the stadium rafters with sellout crowds. It would, but this far out and wild idea would be an anathema to the rugby unions, in the likely event that the home based team lost to the talented players overseas.

Rugby in the southern hemisphere must not be tinkered with. It must undergo an overhaul of tournament structures to rejuvenate the game.

The way to do this is via the cross-pollination and addition of two other rugby entities in the southern hemisphere, the Argentinean Pumas and a Combined Pacific Islands side, made up from Fiji, Tonga and Samoa, both of which pack a powerful punch to threaten and challenge the ‘superiority’ of the tri-nations, in a Five Nations tournament.

Travel is equalised and when rugby players and coaches squawk at the “travel factor”, please do remind them of the travel demands made of the top professional soccer players, golfers, tennis players, Superbike &amp and F1 drivers, week in and week out, all year round. They are all modern day gladiators in the world of sports and entertainment and travel schedules are just another challenge to deal with.

Directly under the Five Nations is the Super 14, which also needs the introduction of a relegation and promotion series in each of the three SANZAR countries, with the addition of a franchise in each country, to mirror the Five Nations.

This formula offers a clinical, coherent and lucid, strategic overhaul of the SANZAR Tri-Nations and Super 14 rugby tournaments, bringing in new sponsors, more television exposure and more spectators that are the lifeblood of the game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bring on the five nations, three is not enough. Japan could end up being the sixth but they could be the Italy of the Six Nations. A combined Pacific Islands team would be competitive (I think Clyde Rathbone still fears them after the last encounter) and Argentina seem to just grow and grow in talent.

Bring on more southern hemisphere teams into the super 14 competition as well and expand it to a 22 to 24 game season. Our players may be lured away to better offers from the Northern Hemisphere if they can only play the current 13 games a year.

When the Wallabies played the first test against France the Top 14 (French comp) finals were still going, their season starts again very soon (which is what Henjak has been talking about). Very quick turnaround between seasons in all of European rugby. Would love to see a much shorter break between the end of the Super 14 season and the start of the next one.

Sorry Jargs and other cricket fans but it bores the shit out of me, the quicker the season is over and the rugby begins again the better.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post

In the fast paced world of international stadium sports, the existing SANZAR flagship tournaments and format of the Tri-Nations and Super 14 rugby tournaments have gradually become sterile and lack the innovation and dynamism to attract new spectators and television audiences.

It is uncanny that the rugby sponsors and television broadcasters, who are supposed to be so in touch and in sync with their customers, consumers and target audiences on a daily basis, should be silent witnesses to the steady asphyxiation of rugby.

Ch 7 Perth: like to comment?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Bring on the five nations, three is not enough. Japan could end up being the sixth but they could be the Italy of the Six Nations. A combined Pacific Islands team would be competitive (I think Clyde Rathbone still fears them after the last encounter) and Argentina seem to just grow and grow in talent.

Bring on more southern hemisphere teams into the super 14 competition as well and expand it to a 22 to 24 game season. Our players may be lured away to better offers from the Northern Hemisphere if they can only play the current 13 games a year.

When the Wallabies played the first test against France the Top 14 (French comp) finals were still going, their season starts again very soon (which is what Henjak has been talking about). Very quick turnaround between seasons in all of European rugby. Would love to see a much shorter break between the end of the Super 14 season and the start of the next one.

Sorry Jargs and other cricket fans but it bores the shit out of me, the quicker the season is over and the rugby begins again the better.
    Well i suggest you go and find a hobby to keep you occupied through the summer months

I can see why you would want the Southern Hemishere to expand as watching Wales and the rest of the 6 nations is boring as bat shit. I agree with the expansion of Southern Hemisphere Rugby as more Rugby is not a bad thing, but Australia vs Japan will not put bums on seats. Seeing what Australia did to Japan at the RWC on a regualr basis may appeal to us, but the general sporting public won't even bother.

Possibly expanding the Tri-Nations to a 4 nations with Argentina only IF they promise their best players will compete from Europe, otherwise the same will ensue with Argentine Rugby as whole apparently not being up to standard. Again possibly a 5 nations with the Pacific Islands combined side, but they may not want to see themselves as a permanant merged side, Fijian Rugby matched a few sides at the RWC thats for sure

Unfortunately Southern Hemsiphere Rugby may never be able to match the massive amounts of money being thrown around by the millionares that own the clubs up there, the player exodus to the north will still happen becasue of it. More games may keep some players for a bit longer which is a good thing but eventually will go up regardless to look after the retirement nest egg

Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Ch 7 Perth: like to comment?
    AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

barking up the wrong tree there. They wonder why so many people turn to Pay TV, even their coverage of cross country basketball sucks let alone Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Well i suggest you go and find a hobby to keep you occupied through the summer months

I can see why you would want the Southern Hemishere to expand as watching Wales and the rest of the 6 nations is boring as bat shit. I agree with the expansion of Southern Hemisphere Rugby as more Rugby is not a bad thing, but Australia vs Japan will not put bums on seats. Seeing what Australia did to Japan at the RWC on a regualr basis may appeal to us, but the general sporting public won't even bother.

Possibly expanding the Tri-Nations to a 4 nations with Argentina only IF they promise their best players will compete from Europe, otherwise the same will ensue with Argentine Rugby as whole apparently not being up to standard. Again possibly a 5 nations with the Pacific Islands combined side, but they may not want to see themselves as a permanant merged side, Fijian Rugby matched a few sides at the RWC thats for sure

Unfortunately Southern Hemsiphere Rugby may never be able to match the massive amounts of money being thrown around by the millionares that own the clubs up there, the player exodus to the north will still happen becasue of it. More games may keep some players for a bit longer which is a good thing but eventually will go up regardless to look after the retirement nest egg

AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

barking up the wrong tree there. They wonder why so many people turn to Pay TV, even their coverage of cross country basketball sucks let alone Rugby
    It's Ok Jargs I've got a summer hobby it's called European rugby and bless you Setanta sports for your coverage. Australia may flog Japan on a regular basis but a push into the Asian nations is something rugby seriously needs to be looking at to expand the game if it truely wants to be global. Every comp has an easy beat team that's why we have Italy in the Six nations, but every year they get better and still pull off upsets now and then.

Don't get too upset about the cricket comment it's just my personal opinion, ZZZZZZZZZZZZ, oops sorry I fell asleep even thinking about the game. Might go and watch the grass grow out the back for a while.

vCash
    well the 6nations took a gamble including Italay a few years back, and for most part they were getting flogged most games, but they have come competitive now and i doubt that would have happened without the 6nations.

vCash
    I agree with the expansion of Southern Hemisphere Rugby as more Rugby is not a bad thing, but Australia vs Japan will not put bums on seats. Seeing what Australia did to Japan at the RWC on a regualr basis may appeal to us, but the general sporting public won't even bother.
    The expansion of Southern Hemisphere rugby is a foregone conclusion, the only question is how. The Unions desperately need a cash injection and the only way I see of getting a significant cash injection from a new market (rather than making the product more appealing in an existing market) is involving either Japan or the USA.

The problem that needs to be resolved is the true internationalisation of the test season. the IRB need to grow some nuts and bring the World in to line around a common set of dates where test matches are played. The national, provincial and international competitions simply need to shut up and deal with it. Once that's completed, the integrity of inter-hemisphere tests will be guaranteed. It's simply not good enough to adjust the ranking system, World Cup entry or anything else to do with the national side. The European clubs own the players and have already proven they simply don't care about national representation, evidenced by their refusal to release players and their taste for importing players from everywhere bar the moon.
    Unfortunately Southern Hemsiphere Rugby may never be able to match the massive amounts of money being thrown around by the millionares that own the clubs up there
    That's where the inclusion of Japan and the USA comes into the picture. They get an opportunity to develop players locally, in a team under the control of their national union, we get a great big slice of two markets with unlimited growth potential. with a common test window ensuring the Cherry Blossoms and the Eagles can take place in Test matches against whoever they like during the test window the ideal entry for a Japanese and a US team is at Super 14 level.
    Australia may flog Japan on a regular basis but a push into the Asian nations is something rugby seriously needs to be looking at to expand the game if it truely wants to be global.
    That's why the Super 14 is the ideal level for Japanese and American nationals to play in. I'd suggest they'd have an even start with WA for a new franchise, we're doing OK after three years and starting to develop the code at club level in a hostile market, why not them.

Last edited by GIGS20; 03-08-08 at 18:09. Reason: can't schpell
    C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow GIGS20 - I Like your Thinking!

The USA & Japan can always be wild card teams into a sub Super 14 Tournaments of Challengers,in the short term till they develop a stable of elite players.

The money you speak of comes from broadcasters (Newscorp) and sponsors (brewers & telecoms or IT companies).

Drop in 2 teams from the USA & Japan and you have a cocktail of potential to target the corporates wanting to back a USA or Japanese Super rugby team.

However the current broadcast agreement with the Super 14 ends 31st May 2010 and that is why the SANZAR administrators are fiddling with various recipes and options to spice up the Super 14.

It has to be a top down exercise and go from Five Nations into a sequential Super 14 and then a Sub Super 14 Challengers tournament - all of which will attract corporates and new sponsors.

vCash
    The USA & Japan can always be wild card teams into a sub Super 14 Tournaments of Challengers,in the short term till they develop a stable of elite players.

The money you speak of comes from broadcasters (Newscorp) and sponsors (brewers & telecoms or IT companies).

Drop in 2 teams from the USA & Japan and you have a cocktail of potential to target the corporates wanting to back a USA or Japanese Super rugby team.

However the current broadcast agreement with the Super 14 ends 31st May 2010 and that is why the SANZAR administrators are fiddling with various recipes and options to spice up the Super 14.

It has to be a top down exercise and go from Five Nations into a sequential Super 14 and then a Sub Super 14 Challengers tournament - all of which will attract corporates and new sponsors.

Japanese club rugby is huge in Japan and they have some massive backers, if you saw the crowds the university teams get over there at a game you would be shocked at the numbers let alone the club games. The Super 14 could blow out to be the super 20 easy, there are plenty of southern hemisphere teams that could put up a team. Union is one of the fastest growing sports in the USA and Canada is always growing as well. These countries and many others need to play in better club competitions. We could at least have a Heineken Cup style 4 teams in a pool who play eachother with the top pool winners going onto the finals. It could run parallel with the Super 14 competition and breaks in the Super 14 every month for the next round of the Heineken Cup style comp games. Club rugby is very different from international rugby. We don't know how the Force would go against some of the stronger Japanese, Argentinian clubs.

vCash

You would get more money for TV rights deal if there was actually some form of bidding process, instead of Fox telling SANZAR what they will pay for it. (i am not familiar with the TV rights deals in NZ and South Africa though so fell free to correct me it i'm wrong).

Will the US TV stations pay big money for Rugby in a market in which Rugby will be a 3rd or 4th tier sport after NFL, NBA, NHL and possibly even Major League Soccer?

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    well the 6nations took a gamble including Italay a few years back, and for most part they were getting flogged most games, but they have come competitive now and i doubt that would have happened without the 6nations.
    I agree, and if they got admittance some of the Southern Hemisphere such as Argentina and Japan will improve their game like we all suspect. Improving the game at International level won't happen over night

Don't get too upset about the cricket comment it's just my personal opinion, ZZZZZZZZZZZZ, oops sorry I fell asleep even thinking about the game. Might go and watch the grass grow out the back for a while.
    not my problem, your call not mine i would have thought that being from a part of England you would like some cricket

vCash
    You would get more money for TV rights deal if there was actually some form of bidding process, instead of Fox telling SANZAR what they will pay for it. (i am not familiar with the TV rights deals in NZ and South Africa though so fell free to correct me it i'm wrong).

Will the US TV stations pay big money for Rugby in a market in which Rugby will be a 3rd or 4th tier sport after NFL, NBA, NHL and possibly even Major League Soccer?

I agree, and if they got admittance some of the Southern Hemisphere such as Argentina and Japan will improve their game like we all suspect. Improving the game at International level won't happen over night

not my problem, your call not mine i would have thought that being from a part of England you would like some cricket
    Yeah I ask Canadians what part of America their from, it gets the same reaction. Too hilly in Wales to play cricket, we used all the low lying areas to put down rugby fields.

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow JAPAN - the land of the Rising Sun

WELSHRUGBYFAN: - The Japanes have a powerful Rugby Super series tournament with some outstanding players in their teams sponsored by the likes of Coke, IBM, CANON, Toyota and other corporate powerhouses.

I was over in Tokyo last year to suss out Japan and to meet with their CEO & President, but the Japanese are sticklers on protocol and courtesy and want to have a serious run at hosting the 2015 RWC.

They are troubled at being out voted at IRB board level and that they are on a drip feed system from the IRB, keeping them weak.

The same complaints come from Canada and the USA and then you realise the Putting Rugby First document/report hits a cord that runs deep.

More friendlies, more exhibition games and more cross pollination of cultures will grow the game.

Apprentice
    vCash

Arrow Money for the Box

JARGAN83 - To put money and corporate sponsors and television in perspective you have to factor in consumers.

The greater the population the greater the interest from sponsors and TV broadcasters.

NZ, Australia & SANZAR have miniscule populations and then smaller still of those interested in rugby.

Engage the countries with the population and much sought after consumers for the sponsors and television audience and Hey Presto! you will have the money drop in to support rugby in those countries.

vCash
    WELSHRUGBYFAN: - The Japanes have a powerful Rugby Super series tournament with some outstanding players in their teams sponsored by the likes of Coke, IBM, CANON, Toyota and other corporate powerhouses.

I was over in Tokyo last year to suss out Japan and to meet with their CEO & President, but the Japanese are sticklers on protocol and courtesy and want to have a serious run at hosting the 2015 RWC.

They are troubled at being out voted at IRB board level and that they are on a drip feed system from the IRB, keeping them weak.

The same complaints come from Canada and the USA and then you realise the Putting Rugby First document/report hits a cord that runs deep.

More friendlies, more exhibition games and more cross pollination of cultures will grow the game.
    Yeah I agree, the IRB are worried that the bottom tier teams will become stronger and possibly start to make their way into the top ten countries which the traditional rugby nations have always dominated. Argentina and Fiji put a rocket up their backsides in the World Cup doing so well. If these countries including Japan can start to gain some recognition on the field the IRB can't ignore them forever.

vCash
    Lots of great comments From up here, the only way for North American rugby to grow is to keep our best players from going to Europe ( i.e. MacDonald, Emerick, Ngwenya, etc). As far as developing a market, one of the ESPN networks televised, live, nation-wide, our Super League (Actually Super Union-we're confused) finals, and all U.S. matches, as well as the semi-finals and finals of the RWC were televised on Vs., an "extreme sports" network. The Munster v. Eagles friendly in 2007 was also seen in many parts, and the upcoming 2008 friendly had to be moved to a bigger stadium due to high ticket demand. The advent of digital cable and dish networks has enabled rugby to gain some decent exposure up here. We need (and hopefully the IRB will agree) to keep rugby's momentum going - top-notch professional matches would do the trick! Will it happen before RWC 2011? Probably not. But the point made earlier of cross pollenization is an important one, as more Pacific Island teams grow, it will definitely influence rugby here -lots of friends and family of Tongans, Samoans, and Fijians live here - not to mention the potential of Japan. ( Incidentally our Eagle fly-half Mike Hercus plays there!) Expansion in the Pacific will eventually help the US and Canada, so by all means, bring it on!!!

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast