Thread: Union joins race to sign Campese

vCash

Arrow Union joins race to sign Campese

Chris Dutton, Canberra Times | April 29, 2009 - 10:31AM

Terry Campese's management confirmed yesterday the Canberra Raiders' star playmaker was being courted by rugby union clubs, as well as opposition NRL teams. Campese has attracted international interest from league and union teams.

The 24-year-old was undecided on his playing future and his agent Jim Banaghan said offers from rival clubs and codes were flooding in.

The NSW State Of Origin hopeful has been linked to contract talks with the ACT Brumbies in the past and was a member of the Super 14 club's academy squad.

Banaghan said that while the process was slow, every offer was being considered.

"We're hardly any further down the track than we were 10 days ago," Banaghan said yesterday.

"I've had a lot of interest from a lot of clubs and they're just coming from everywhere, knocking my door down for the lad. It's not like I'm going out and chasing people, they're all coming to us."

Because of Terry's form, the rugby people came knocking and we showed them due respect and we'll talk to anyone who's interested while he's still a free agent."

Campese is contracted to Canberra until the end of the 2010 NRL season. The Raiders had hoped to sign him on a deal to keep him in the capital beyond 2012 by the end of last week.

Canberra boss Don Furner said he did not know rugby union clubs were interested in poaching his five-eighth until yesterday.

The local junior penned a two-year contract extension with the Raiders last year and has indicated he would like to remain in Canberra.

Campese, Raiders skipper Alan Tongue and centre Joel Monaghan all made the NSW State Of Origin 40-man preliminary squad last week and are in Sydney for an orientation today.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...684496319.html

Is there room is this world for another Campese?....:D

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper
    Is there room is this world for another Campese?....
    Can he manage the conversion to Union and is he as good as his uncles was?

Last edited by laura; 29-04-09 at 11:05. Reason: oops

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Has he got more than a goose step and a big mouth??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Can he manage the conversion to Union and is he as good as his dad was?
    David Campese is his Uncle... If he was good enough to previously be in the Brumbies academy he can definatley play Rugby Union...

He is a quick stepping league 5/8. He reads play well and often opens defensive lines with his running plays... Worth while looking at for many rugby province...

Does he have a big mouth like Campo senior... I don't think so, I've never heard anything negative about him and he also doesn't goose step like Uncle Dave... Last season with the Raiders he was outstanding (for a leaguey) the season before he had injuries issues. But its looks like he is contracted for 2010 with the Raiders...

vCash
    certain starter for the NSW side for origin 1 next month.

It says that there is foreign Union interest but doesnt say whether or not there is interest from the Aussie Sides apart from stating previous contract talks with the Brumbies

Was brilliant for Canberra last year after Todd Carney got the sack when he stepped up to be the main playmaker, I haven't read anything negative about the lad either, would be a dead set superstar if he diodn't play for a shit team like the Raiders

vCash
    Not a fan of league players coming over but terry gets the thumbs up for me. Saw him on the footy show(league version) the other week and seemed like a pretty down to earth bloke. Definitely has more skills then his uncle.
    He should come play for the force!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Has he got more than a goose step and a big mouth??
    You took the words right out of my fingers..

Last edited by hertryk; 29-04-09 at 16:56. Reason: typo

vCash
    He's been absolutely top draw this season for the Raiders. I doubt he's too interested in any offers at this stage as he's still got a lot to do in RL. I hope he stays there for a few years yet at least. He's been a bit of a late developer, but it's been worth the wait. It will be interesting to see how far he can go.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Well if he is now 25 and still signed for 2010 to the Raiders. He would be turning 27 by the time he had a go at Super 14. He wouldn't want to leave it to long. I guess it would come down to why did he leave the Brumbies academy and sign with the Raiders? And if he holds a few unfulfilled rugby goals… I think he’s wasted in league…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I think he’s wasted in league…
    Why?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Terry Campese's famous uncle seals new deal

By Andrew Webster | May 27, 2009 12:00am

TERRY Campese spent his first day as NSW's five-eighth confirming he would remain in league the rest of his life - on the advice of his uncle, Wallaby great David.
    Campese high-fived his wife on Monday night when he learned he had edged his way ahead of Newcastle's Jarrod Mullen and Penrith's Luke Lewis for the No. 6 jumper.

It was impossible to wipe the smile off the Canberra star's face at Etihad Stadium yesterday but he managed to compose himself long enough to reveal he was poised to sign a long-term deal that will keep him at the Raiders.

If NRL suits are breathing a sigh of a relief they should thank uncle David, the Wallaby icon who has been advising his nephew since returning recently from a coaching job with Super 14 franchise the Sharks in South Africa.

"I love where I am," said Campese. "I couldn't be happier - rugby league is what I want to play the rest of my life. David was one of the first to congratulate me and told me to enjoy it. Soak up the experience.

"If I need advice, he's the first one I call. Since he moved back I speak to him once or twice a week. Not just about my form, but things with my contract. He's good like that.

"He tells me to play whatever I love. He deserves his say."

Canberra chief executive Don Furner met with Campese's manager Jim Banaghan on Monday but said no deal had been struck.

The negotiation process has been a protracted one. There were times last season when Campese seemed on the outer as the club chased Trent Barrett.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Why?
    Muddy didn't answer your question, what a surprise

vCash
    "I just said the most important thing to remember is why you are there. I told him to enjoy what he was doing and forget about the cash. When you retire, there's a whole other life." - David Campese
    Now that's a change from what we usually read. Wonder if Terry's manager agrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Jargs
    Muddy didn't answer your question
    Well he's from Canberra, maybe they are taught that in voc ed at school.