Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SBW Too Inferior To Play Wallabies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

SBW Too Inferior To Play Wallabies

Sonny Bill Williams misses out on bench spot for All Blacks against Wallabies

Richard Knowler
    October 28, 2010 - 2:27PM

New Zealand coach Graham Henry left Sonny Bill Williams out of his All Blacks team because he was reluctant to toss him into the "deep end" of Test rugby.

Former rugby league star Williams has been left out of the 22-man team named to face the Wallabies at Hong Kong Stadium, with Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith named in the centres and Isaia Toeava listed in the reserves as cover.

Although Toeava has only had several outings since coming back from a hip injury that has prevented him from playing since May, Henry said his experience and ability to cover a number of backline positions earned him a call-up ahead of Williams.

"We didn't want to fire Sonny Bill into the deep end," Henry said. "We think he needs a bit of time to get accustomed to what we are trying to do out there and I think he needs clarity of what this All Blacks team are trying to do.

"It would have been a big ask to throw him out there in a big Test match like this without having time to get his feet under the table."

Williams, 25, is guaranteed to make his All Blacks debut at some point of the northern tour, although that opportunity may not come until the Test against Scotland in a fortnight.

It is likely the All Blacks coaches will not want to overwhelm their star signing by putting him into a position where his confidence is dented and they will also be aware Williams will take time to absorb a mountain of information.

"It takes a wee bit of a while to get clarity on what the team is trying to do," Henry added.

"You need to understand the game plan, the team culture and what we are trying to do out there. And that is natural. It is just going to take time."

Injuries and form fluctuations have ensured Henry has named the same All Blacks starting XV as the one that walloped the Aussies 49-28 in Melbourne on July 31.

Henry has made four changes to the side that squeaked home 23-22 against the Wallabies in Sydney on September 11, with Joe Rokocoko returning to the left wing, Dan Carter back in the playmaker's role, Jimmy Cowan at halfback and Jerome Kaino at blindside flanker.

Rokocoko replaces the injured Israel Dagg, Carter is back in place of the dumped Aaron Cruden, Cowan fills in for the wounded Piri Weepu and Kaino returns to his regular gig with Victor Vito not required to tour.

On Tri-Nations form, this side could arguably be voted as the most powerful head coach Henry can name from his fit troops as he seeks to compound the Wallabies' misery and inflict an 11th consecutive defeat on his trans-Tasman opponents.

If hooker Keven Mealamu is substituted it will result in Hika Elliot making his Test debut.

Elliot's sole appearance for the All Blacks was against Munster in 2008 - the same year reserve hooker Daniel Braid last played international rugby.

Braid, who made one appearance that season, looked to have ended his All Blacks chances when he signed to play in Wales. However, an injury resulted in that contract being torn up and he instead linked with the Queensland Reds.

Impressive displays with the Reds this year have resulted in him earning a recall to the test arena.

Both captain Richie McCaw and Mils Muliaina will mark this match with their 90th caps - two short of Sean Fitzpatrick's milestone. It will also be their 70th Test together.

Carter will play his 75th and Tony Woodcock his 70th.

New Zealand:

1 Tony Woodcock
    2 Keven Mealamu
    3 Owen Franks
    4 Brad Thorn
    5 Tom Donnelly
    6 Jerome Kaino
    7 Richie McCaw (C)
    8 Kieran Read

9 Jimmy Cowan
    10 Daniel Carter
    11 Josevata Rokocoko
    12 Ma'a Nonu
    13 Conrad Smith
    14 Cory Jane
    15 Mils Muliaina

16 Hikawera Elliot
    17 John Afoa
    18 Samuel Whitelock
    19 Daniel Braid
    20 Alby Mathewson
    21 Stephen Donald
    22 Isaia Toeava

stuff.co.nz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 28-10-10 at 12:07.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Thought there were rules about cut and paste jobs. Y'know........... about links to the original article and stuff.

When you get sick o' them cows you could make some rag a great sub editor Burgs.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Chuck SBW in against the nuffies like Scotland and Wales

vCash
    Hardly unexpected, at least it shows the kiwis are directing some respect the wallabies way, like jargs said, he will play against some like Scotland or Wales
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Yeah but how would you feel if you were Nonu or Smith and you got dropped to the bench for SBW in his first outing for the AB's?

It would be mildly insulting.

Toeava is no slouch either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Yeah but how would you feel if you were Nonu or Smith and you got dropped to the bench for SBW in his first outing for the AB's?
    pretty bloody pissed if it was against Australia I would think. If however it was against Scotland or Wales, it wouldn't be so bad. You expect to try some new talent against the easybeats.

C'mon the

vCash
    The ABs backline have perfected shutting down Giteau. If they throw SBW in there all hell could break loose because he is so new to the team. He will have to learn in next seasons Tri-Nations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    pretty bloody pissed if it was against Australia I would think. If however it was against Scotland or Wales, it wouldn't be so bad. You expect to try some new talent against the easybeats.
    I lasted a whole day without replying to the easybeat tag gigs. For a nation of 5 million people & only 2 professional teams Scotland always play above their weight. The Wallabies could learn something from the passion and heart Scotland play with, a mindset that is needed to close out close games. If the Wallabies had that then I doubt the ABs would have 10 in a row against them. Scotland beat Australia then the Pumas twice in Argentina recently & I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens in this autumn tour coming up. I didn't take offence- just enjoying the opportunity to defend my wee nation of birth that I'm very proud of. I'll leave some else to defend Wales. However I've been an Aussie for longer than Bon Scott ( my other hero after David Sole & Bill McLaren) so go the Wallabies tonight!!!
    PS- having said all that Scotland have never beaten the ABs. Bummer

[Beer & crisps......the pre-season diet of choice

vCash
    Scotland also crumble like crap at times
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Scotland also crumble like crap at times
    Posted via Mobile Device
    And with some of the leads the Wallabies have blown of late..........

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    ...Although Toeava has only had several outings since coming back from a hip injury...
    What?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    And with some of the leads the Wallabies have blown of late..........
    Professional teams playing with parochial passion is a nostalgic thought, they might be able build themselves up every now and then, but no team can do it week in/week out
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Secret Guide to winning:

- Play with more passion
    - Tackle the legs
    - Run straight
    - (Forwards) Get out of the backline
    - (Backs) Get out of the forwards
    - Get better refs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by doobie69 View Post
    I lasted a whole day without replying to the easybeat tag gigs. For a nation of 5 million people & only 2 professional teams Scotland always play above their weight. The Wallabies could learn something from the passion and heart Scotland play with, a mindset that is needed to close out close games. If the Wallabies had that then I doubt the ABs would have 10 in a row against them. Scotland beat Australia then the Pumas twice in Argentina recently & I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens in this autumn tour coming up. I didn't take offence- just enjoying the opportunity to defend my wee nation of birth that I'm very proud of. I'll leave some else to defend Wales. However I've been an Aussie for longer than Bon Scott ( my other hero after David Sole & Bill McLaren) so go the Wallabies tonight!!!
    PS- having said all that Scotland have never beaten the ABs. Bummer
    Man you Scots'll bite on the oldest bait in the tin won't you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    Secret Guide to winning:

- Play with more passion
    - Tackle the legs
    - Run straight
    - (Forwards) Get out of the backline
    - (Backs) Get out of the forwards
    - Get better refs

Appendix 1;