Thread: Beale the believer in generation why not

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Beale the believer in generation why not

Beale the believer in generation why not

Josh Rakic

October 17, 2010
    The Waratahs fullback is buoyed by the Wallabies' unity and purpose, writes Josh Rakic.

Kurtley Beale believes the Wallabies are better placed than ever to return to international dominance, revealing that what was once disharmony among the players has turned to satisfaction and excitement.
    Beale, who first joined the squad as a teenager in 2007, has seen a complete transformation of the Wallabies - the transition from John Connolly to Robbie Deans and the ushering in of new blood.

Only two players of the current squad are over 30 - Queensland second-rower Van Humphries and Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe - and Beale says the coaching staff have adapted to get the best out of the Generation Y component.
    ''It's different to past years but I guess now we've got to try and create our own culture to take this next generation on over the next few years,'' Beale said.
    ''There are a few of old heads in the team with Sharpie, Rocky [Elsom] and Gits [Matt Giteau], and it's awesome to have that balance, but I think it's very important for the young guys to step out of their shells now and really show what we are about - but still within the team protocol and what we are about as Wallabies.
    ''I think it's time for our generation to step up and really take it to the world of rugby. We're still not really experienced but that's why Robbie is there, for game management and telling us when to run, when not to run, kicking for field position. He lets us know what to do in certain situations, and once we get that right we are going up. There's no doubt.
    ''The squad has definitely changed since I first came in in 2007. Obviously a lot of young guys have come through and there's a new generation now creating a whole different dynamic. I've never seen it so good.''
    Beale said the players were working for each other rather than themselves and the results of that mentality were there for all to see.
    ''The backs are working on speed and agility and the forwards are just trying to get bigger and more powerful, so the backs can have good ball to play off and play a running style of football,'' Beale said. ''And then Robbie's there basically just giving us a licence to have a crack. Everyone just gets excited to play now.
    ''And when you have good players like Quade Cooper, Matt Giteau and Berrick Barnes inside of you, the outside backs are just loving it and all we have to do is put ourselves in the right position to feed off that.
    ''It helps when you are really good mates with the boys because you know them inside and out and get a really good feel for how they like playing. It's a tight-knit bunch of boys.''
    And while he kicked Australia to their first win at altitude against the Springboks in 66 years, the Wallabies fullback still fears his position isn't secure. ''I still don't feel safe,'' Beale revealed. ''My name was read last in the squad announcement and I had my fingers crossed and was very nervous just waiting for that. I was very relieved my name was read out, and now I'm just that excited about hopefully getting another crack at the All Blacks.
    ''There are a lot of speedsters who have just been picked - Luke Morahan, Rod Davies. I can't slacken off from where I was. I need to improve on what I had at the beginning of the season and try and hold my spot.''
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...016-16o99.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A fascinating insite into the camp. Great signs.
    For a few years we have been saying we're heading in the right direction, more out of optimism than results. I felt that over the back half of the year, the wallabies started playing some really good rugby. This "hunger" in the camp is very good indeed. Australian rugby has never had so much depth. Exciting times ahead.

A world class tighthead please

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies Horatio

vCash
    looking at the AB's lineup i am impressed, i dont think ive ever seen their squad as strong as it is right now.. and they still have 20 other players that could quite easily slot in there .. The wallabies and AB's are certainly on the up at the right time.. SA, France and England have a lot to worry about!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Weepu is out though.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!