Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force line up Staniforth for Chiefs showdown

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force line up Staniforth for Chiefs showdown

The Western Force are likely to put re-signed centre Scott Staniforth straight into the action with a place in their squad to face the Chiefs in the third round of Super 14 on Saturday.

The Force are still waiting for the final clearance from the Australian Rugby Union but sees no hurdles to stop their 2006 player of the year taking part in the ME Bank Stadium clash.

The ARU initially rejected the Force bid to re-sign Staniforth on a short-term deal but the ban was lifted when he became a free agent after the collapse of his Japanese club Yokogawa last week.

And if the paperwork from the Japanese Rugby Union arrives in time, the Force's other new signing from the Toshiba club, former All Black playmaker David Hill, could also line up in the side.

Force assistant coach Richard Graham who is hoping the ARU does not drag its heels over Staniforth's paperwork, said the club was "just waiting for a clearance".

"It's good obviously to see him back, the rest is not in our hands at the moment

"The ARU are very supportive, we don't see an issue, just have to wait and see.

"He's been involved in the club for the past four or five years. (He's) very familiar obviously with the group and with the coaching staff, he'll have no problems."

Graham said Hill, who is expected to arrive in Perth later this week, was "50-50" to play even though he may only get Friday's Captains Run to meet his new teammates.

"No concerns," Graham said.

"He's an experienced footballer. He's played in New Zealand, the UK and Japan, so he's been under a number of different systems and I think he'd slot in here very easily."

Graham said it was a great relief to have the pair coming into the squad.

"Obviously we started the season a fit squad and throughout the season you are going to experience injuries but having experienced so many in such a short time, to reinforce that with quality people is outstanding."

And he did not rule out the side from finals contention even if they lost their third game in a row.

"It's going to compromise but not stop you from progressing later in the tournament," he said.

However, he warned that despite having injury concerns of their own the Chiefs, who put 72 points on the Lions in round two, while conceding 65, would be a dangerous side.

"The Chiefs are a team that can score tries from anywhere and anything. Last week it was (from) a re-start, a line-out, a scrum, anywhere.

"They've got a number of one-on-one runners that can hurt you.

"They play a very ad-lib style of football."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...iefs-showdown/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And ill be cheering him on from my S4 seat thanks very much to JJ & his Emirates Flight crew mates!!

PUMPED!!!!! is a word that comes to mind!

vCash
    wing or center?

Now in my moleskin trousers and my Williams boots
    Aboard an outlaw as he leaves the chutes
    In my goose neck spurs I rake their fiery hide
    And the girls all shouting around the ringside
    Oh he's the Fulla from Cunnamulla
    Yeah he's the Cunnamulla Fulla

Player
    vCash
    Centre.

Keep Spaaner and Cross as the centre combo, will allow a decent defence through there - we need a tight defence to slow the Chiefs, especially with Kahui and Bruce running at them.

DHP and Tatupu to the wings, and JOC to 15, and if we have to have Harris playing, JOC to come to 10 in attack, with Spanner to wing and DHP to fullback.

vCash
    DHP and Sare on the wings as opposed to Tatupu.. Tatupu has rarely played on the wing and as has been highlighted recently his defence is dodge.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    DHP and Sare on the wings as opposed to Tatupu.. Tatupu has rarely played on the wing and as has been highlighted recently his defence is dodge.
    That true, I think he will ultimately end up being a 13.

vCash
    Wing defence as the Chiefs have big outside backs...

Player
    vCash
    I think I read somewehre that Sivi wont be playing, but Masaga will be back. So that means we still got to deal with Masaga and Mils, and Bruce and Kahui in the centres. Lauala is out, but they will still have a mobile back row.

I think Force need to keep it in the forwards, if we are to have a chance.

Champion
    vCash
    Please no Sare, he is carrying an injury and he has gone missing in 160 minutes of action in 2010..

I'd like to see Inman on the wing or centres and have two wingers on each side and two centres on the other with inman and DHP(1 side) and Cross and Spanner (other side), these two combinations are potent and all have the ability to play both positions.

Inman = Played wing in SAF in the trails, and center last week
    DHP = Played wing on the weekend, but was seen infield part of the game
    Cross = Played wing for ARL and Roosters occasionally, and known for centre with the Force
    Spanner = 100% utlity, throw him anywhere he'll do the job !!!

Welcome back Spanner, thanks for helping !!

vCash
    Inman had a great game and I wouldn't mind seeing him as a starter again this week.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Please no Sare, he is carrying an injury and he has gone missing in 160 minutes of action in 2010..
    he was actually really good against the brumbies...

Champion
    vCash
    2 trys scored on his wing against haig with 1 on 1 tackles isn't a good game in my eyes.. and how many hit ups did he complete, he was hiding for the game...

Part of it was to do with John Mitchell picking him from the stands with an injury, but last week he was poor.

Veteran
    vCash
    it would be fairly tough to blame it all on him. I dont know what tries you are talking about.

i take it your saying that haig missed two tackles directly resulting in tries...

I seem to recall at least two line beaks from the centres resulting in two tries... there were only 3 tries to the brumbies...

vCash
    Haig
    Week one Stats show 6 runs, 1 line break, 2 tackle busts, 6 tackles, 0 missed.
    24 points

last week he was less impressive with 2 runs, 1 tackle made and 2 missed
    -1 point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Inman had a great game and I wouldn't mind seeing him as a starter again this week.
    Ryan Cross has played wing before, why not

10 Harris/Hill
    11 Cross
    12 Spanner
    13 Inman
    14 DHP
    15 JOC

That would allow for some more starch in the defence out wide, with Crossy and DHP swapping as it suits between left and right. Crossy going to where the tackling is required, DHP playing for the kicking game.

The pressure would be taken off 10 by having Spanner there. Inman has proven himself to be capable at this level and (IMHO) Sare has had an atrocious season so far.

Seems to tick a lot of boxes to me!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast