Thread: Would this fella be worth going after?

Senior Player
    vCash

Would this fella be worth going after?

Up to three Australian provinces are chasing the signature of former Wallaby Luke Burgess, who is keen to return from France and play in Australia - potentially in time to meet the British and Irish Lions tour in June.

The 37-Test halfback is believed to have asked French club Toulouse for an early release and is being currently being pursued by the Melbourne Rebels and the Brumbies for 2014. Representatives of the Waratahs are also understood to have expressed interest in their former no.9.

The Australian Rugby Union has been in informal contact with Burgess about a possible return, which would be dependent on Toulouse agreeing to the release.

Sources said Burgess' motivation to return to Australia was primarily for family reasons, with the 28-year-old and wife Emilie having had their first child in November.

Growing disillusionment with sharing the starting halfback jersey at Toulouse is also said to have played a role.

A third and powerful lure for Burgess to return to Australia, however, is the chance to play for the Wallabies again, potentially as early as the British and Irish Lions series.

Having been approached by Robbie Deans to be on standby for the Wallabies' Spring Tour last year, Burgess revealed Deans had also expressed interest in the no.9 playing a role against the Lions.

"I'm tempted, I'll say that. I haven't ruled it out or in," Burgess told a newspaper in November. "The Lions are a big thing for any rugby player so I'm tempted.''

At the time Burgess was discussing a temporary release from Toulouse, but keen to be closer to family in Australia, he is now looking for a permanent exit from his contract, which expires next year. It is believed the French club will grant the release if they can recruit a suitable replacement, but have not yet done so.

While the door would be opened by his return, the likelihood of Burgess playing against the Lions is now viewed as slim, however.

The French season ends in late May, leaving Burgess only a few weeks to return to Australia and win selection for a June Test series. Complicating the matter further, it is believed the ARU would require him to have to be playing Super Rugby to be picked.

It is more likely any return to the Wallabies fold for Burgess would come in the Rugby Championship in August.

Melbourne are keen to get Burgess back to Melbourne - where he played in the ARC in 2007 - where he would link up with former Sydney Uni coach Damien Hill.

The Rebels' Test no.9 Nick Phipps has been linked with a move to NSW in 2014.

Tahs coach Michael Cheika said he had not spoken with Burgess but sources said contact had been made by NSW Rugby officials.

The Brumbies have also thrown their hat in the ring and expressed interest in talking to Burgess about returning to Canberra, where he was in the ACT Academy between 2005-2008.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    We already have two international 9's in our squad so that would be a no. If it was closer to the end of the year and we were looking for next year I would say yes. A solid super rugby performer good defender just pity about that pass

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I'm pretty sure the reason he left for France was his inability to crack a regular gig for the Wobblies behind Will Genia.

He's older than Will, so I don't see that changing much.

C'mon the

vCash
    Plus burgess is a whiny little bitch on the field
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    noooooooo

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    noooooooo
    I second this post

vCash
    i would be to unhappy to see him at the Force. Sheehan has at best a year left if that. Burgo is a good runner of the ball would be great coming off the bench in the last 20 when everyone is slowing down. Mathewson/Burgess sounds good to me.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Our roster is full. We need to blood another scrummie asap because of the marquee limit and Sheeto's age. Burgess is not the answer. It won't come into play anyhow. Deans is probably making moves to get him back as cover but the power brokers over East will warehouse him in NSW or ACT.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think we are better off with Mathewson than Burgess. He would be better off with the Rebels (Phipps sucks) or the Waratahs (McKibbin sucks). My money is on the Waratahs. I doubt it matters as he'll not be here for long.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    i would be to unhappy to see him at the Force. Sheehan has at best a year left if that. Burgo is a good runner of the ball would be great coming off the bench in the last 20 when everyone is slowing down. Mathewson/Burgess sounds good to me.
    GAFFA - are we missing two letters and a quote mark here? (actually 3!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Plus burgess is a whiny little bitch on the field
    Posted via Mobile Device
    What? A scrum half who's a whiny little bitch on the field?

Are you sure? When does that ever happen?

vCash

Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    sheeno is no whiney bitch... more like a jackrussel.. always biting off more than he can chew!....

Rookie
    vCash
    Sorry to hear about your loss Ecky.

My condolences.