Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell outshines Tuqiri amid Test push

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell outshines Tuqiri amid Test push

June 20, 2009 - 6:49PM

Drew Mitchell has outshone Wallabies wing rival Lote Tuqiri in a Sydney club rugby game, as both attempted to force their way back into the Test team.
    Mitchell scored one of the five Randwick tries in their 36-15 win over West Harbour and played a prominent part in setting up three of the other four.

While the Wallabies were preparing to play in controlled conditions under a closed roof in Saturday night's Test against Italy at Etihad Stadium, several other Test players slogged it out on a muddy Coogee Oval.

Steady rain and slippery and heavy ground conditions were hardly the best showcase for Mitchell and West Harbour's Wallabies Tuqiri and outside centre Timana Tahu.

However, Mitchell who played in Australia's first two games of the season against the Barbarians and Italy, illuminated the drab conditions with several electrifying runs.

He frequently beat two or more defenders, whether it was down the wing or up the middle as he roamed with great effectiveness.

Tuqiri, who wasn't picked in either of Australia's first two games, tried to inject himself into the match.

With his team on the back foot for much of the game, most of Tuqiri's best work was done in his own half.
    He made a few short strong runs down the wings and pulled off a potential try-saving tackle on Randwick's Brumbies winger Francis Fainfo.

Mitchell set up the opening try of the game by beating two defenders and playing the decisive pass and rounded off the proceedings by scoring the final five-pointer of the match.

"I haven't played in conditions like that for a long time," Mitchell said.
    "I enjoyed playing today and I go away pretty happy with how things went."
    He revealed there'd been a bit of friendly banter between Tuqiri, Tahu and himself heading into the game.

"We've been talking about it a little bit through the week because three of us knew we were not going to be playing against Italy," Mitchell said.

"So there was a little bit of niggle through the week at training, but it was always in good fun."
    Tuqiri didn't want to talk to the media after the game.
    Tahu admitted it had been a frustrating day for Tuqiri and himself.

"The conditions were very tough, there was mud patches everywhere," he said.
    "The ground was heavy and it basically wasn't really a game where you could get free-flowing and get the ball out wide and challenge the other side, it was a bit frustrating at times."

Tuqiri, Tahu and Mitchell all played a full game, while other Wallabies on show included Randwick forwards, No.8 Stephen Hoiles and prop Sekope Kepu.

Tuqiri, who started on the wing but spent the last nine minutes at fullback, played for the first time against his cousin, winger Ratu Nasiganiyavi, who was a second-half replacement for Randwick.

Tahu said Mitchell played very well and was very dangerous.
    © 2009 AAP
    http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0620-crun.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hehehe. I think Lote's days are well over. Excellent. Look what the Force has done for Drew! He's being selected ahead of Lote. We do wonderful things over here

Last edited by robyn <3; 20-06-09 at 20:39. Reason: it went really weird!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tuqiri didn't want to talk to the media after the game.

Strangely, that may not be enough for Mitchell anyway if Deanes decides to stick with O'Connor at Fullback next week, as I can't imagine he can not pick AAC to start somewhere. Most likely I think it will be #15 AAC and #22 JO'C but Deanes is proving to not always go for "the most likely"!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think you've divined the biggest problem for Robbie there Burgs. IMHO AAC and Rabbit will split the France match pretty evenly with the admonition that they're playing for a start in the 3N........Mitchell and Hynes are my pick for the wing that Turkey has vacated, with Mitchell slightly ahead for mine.....They'll probably be playing the Frogs for spots as well.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah Gigs, I think it will probably first come down to a decision on if he backs in Hynes for another run or not and then what to do with #15.
    Hynes had a pretty tough trot in the injury stakes and hardly touched the ball, yet the person replacing him both times he went off really created opportunities.
    I really rate Hynes but I think he may be a bit short of a gallop coming back from a knee to take on France who have some serious speed on the Wings.
    Their #11 scored one of the most impressive Wingers tries of the year and is a major threat.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Their #11 scored one of the most impressive Wingers tries of the year and is a major threat.
    Not wrong there Burgs, it was fantastic!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I doubt the coach would be happy about it, but didn't Mitchell say he was going to play for Balmain in Subbies when he was not required for Wallaby duties? Supposedly he signed for 2 years. Maybe Balmain is a "feeder club" for Randwick?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I think its great that Robbie is making the rested Wallabies have a run in grade rugby. Less pampering seems to be bringing out the best in them.

vCash
    i think its fantastic as well, players need to play rugby, albeit at a lower level then test level it still gives players a chance to improve there match fitness and get some form up

not only that, it boosts the competitions the playes are playing in, i know for a fact the boys at sunnybank love it when there wallaby players like Ioane return

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How's local coverage on the Brisbane comp TOCC, are there any Wallabies or Reds getting coverage?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I preferred this article, just for the photo.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...918232891.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    How's local coverage on the Brisbane comp TOCC, are there any Wallabies or Reds getting coverage?
    nothing drastic, it doesnt make the tv or anything, but the couriermail usually does a write up on monday or sunday with the wraps on the premier grade from the weekend.

Ben Lucas is in good form for Sunnybank, Higginbotham is playing well for Wests other players like the Faingaa twins and Mark Mclinden are littlered throughout the various other teams.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    why is why we need a free to air rugby channel !

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    OneHD should clean their act up and get out to some of those games and put it on the TV. Whats the point of having a 24 hour sports channel if its all just netball?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    or american sports ... rugby doesn't need to be live for all the games - just film them and show them ffs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast