Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force attacked by Sharks

vCash

Thumbs down Force attacked by Sharks

The Emirates Western Force has ended their two game South African tour with a disappointing 53-11 loss at the hands of an unstoppable Sharks side in Durban this evening.

Emirates Western Force Defence and Skills coach Phil Blake said there were no excuses for the performance and the team were bitterly disappointed with the efforts.

“It was a performance that no one will be proud of and one that you don’t take too many positives from,” said Blake.

“Again our discipline was a major issue and you just can’t be giving away so many penalties in a game if you want to be competitive so that’s one of the things we need to address moving forward.

“With a performance like that we won’t sugar coat it, it is what it is and tonight every aspect of our game was exposed so we need to go back, assess and come up with some solutions which is vitally important in moving forward.”

The Emirates Western Force returns to Perth on Monday and will regroup and begin preparations for their upcoming home games.

“We’ve got three home games coming up with two of them before the break in the season so we’ll need to collectively make sure we maximise those three home games and maximise our season,” Blake said.

“We need to get something out of this season; we can’t just let it dwindle so we need to come up with solutions as a group that are going to put us in a position to win games so we can finish strong.”

The teams traded penalties to kick start the scoring but the Sharks took the lead when Steven Sykes barrelled through the Emirates Western Force defence to score under the cross bar. Patrick Lambie slotted the conversion to put the home side ahead 10-3.

A strong defensive effort from the Sharks left the Emirates Western Force unable to break through despite a number of attempts at reaching the try line. The Sharks were penalised at the break down and David Harvey slotted the penalty goal to put them within four points but the scoring opportunities ended there.

With eight minutes remaining on the clock Paul Jordaan pounced on a gap in the Force defence and he crossed for the try. Lambie added the conversion and another penalty goal on the half time buzzer to extend their lead 20-6.

The Sharks piled on five tries in the second half with the first scored in the very first minute when fullback Louis Ludik crossed under the posts.

The Perth side were their own worst enemy when lapses in concentration saw winger Lwazi Mvovo intercept an Emirates Western Force pass twice within five minutes and score himself a brace. Frederic Michalak missed the first but nailed the second conversion and the Sharks were up by 33 points.

Repeated infringements at the breakdown saw the Emirates Western Force lose Lachlan McCaffrey to the sin bin and the Sharks looked to have capitalised on the additional man when they crossed for a sixth try but the referee ruled a no-try after observing foul play in the lead up.

They didn’t have to wait long for their sixth try to be counted however as Craig Burden slid over just minutes later. Jacques Botes claimed their seventh try with seven minutes remaining on the clock and Michalak added the extras.

The Emirates Western Force fought until the very end and was rewarded when Sam Wara sprinted down the sideline to claim a consolation try in the corner to put the final score at 53-11.

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...4/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Some really inspiring comments from Phil Blake in that article - NOT! My favourite "it is what it is", with his two references to that lovely cliché "moving forward" coming a very close second. If he is the players' choice for head coach next season then there is something seriously wrong!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Something about Phil Blake as head coach feels wrong and I agree with PerthChicka -the comments came right out of cliche-land or Orwell' doublespeak. I understand they needed a short term coach solution for the remainder of this season, but unless we get this right in plenty of time for next season, we risk (if we don't already) looking like the chumps that many already see us as. And I mean chumps as in the board, the team, the supporters etc. I'm not convinced the board set their sights high enough, but I can understand the more this desperate position goes on, the more unattactive a proposition we become.

vCash
    If Blake gets the job after this performance there won't be many members at nib next year!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    ouch. sounds like i made the right call going to bed

vCash
    somehow, god knows how, we have to get some talent in there (especially 9-10-12)- including coaching /management. Things are going from bad to worse. A shake up of the biggest proportions is required. Whatever recruitment/preparation/coaching we have been doing has got to be changed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    ouch. sounds like i made the right call going to bed
    You did Jono! They were truly awful. Much as it pains me to say, I can't think of anything positive to say except I'm glad it's an 80 minute game not a 90 minute one :-(

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terrycobner View Post
    somehow, god knows how, we have to get some talent in there (especially 9-10-12)- including coaching /management. Things are going from bad to worse. A shake up of the biggest proportions is required. Whatever recruitment/preparation/coaching we have been doing has got to be changed.
    I know it's easy for me to say when I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, but I really think Vern needs to fall on his sword. As CEO he must take responsibility for the mess we're still in after 7 years in the SuperRugby comp.

vCash
    The Sharks were red hot. The Sharks defence was savage and put our backline (who is really out of their depth at this level) under enormous pressure. The backline played off back foot ball as for once the Force forwards went missing.

Although the Force have not won a lot of games this year, the effort has always been noticeale and most matches were "if only" and we could have won etc.

Last night looked like a team who had accepted their fate for 2012, were carrying a few niggles from a torid competition and were mentally jaded.

It was a disappointing performance

Compare that effort with what the Rabble put together yesterday......fantatsic defence (Mungo Muggo take a bow) and ferocity at the breakdown, fast recycling, straight running from depth and at speed, backline decoy runners, width, crispness of of passing.............coached by a first year professional in an organisation in its second year with a second rate club system like Perth

We have lost our way

The players have not shirked it. Apart from a disappointing performance last night, the commitment, dedication and effort on game day has been par with their opponents. There is a lot of blokes playing well above their weight and they are doing their absolute best. There is no question they have done their best.

The tiers above the playing group have let the organisation slide and flounder. Heads have to roll in the management. The opportunity that was The Western Force is in poor health.

We were building. Now we are digging our graves.

I see a great future in Western Australia for rugby. Juniors are growing exponentially, there is mass emigration from rugby strong heartlands to share our way of life. I fear a great opportunity is on the table of self destruction. I genuinely fear for the survival of this franchise when the next broadcasting deals are tabled for discussion. A few more seasons of off field chaos, poor performances, coaching drama and a lack of local development may bring into question the need for this franchise.

It's time to change. It's time for a serious look at the vision, structures and protocols of this franchise................something smells bad at the top

Controversy corner

vCash
    It's time to change. It's time for a serious look at the vision, structures and protocols of this franchise................something smells bad at the top.

Couldn't agree more. I said this a few weeks ago here and was met with "you wanted to sack the coach
    and now the management as well".

Yes.

A fish rots from the head.

Something needs to change and change quickly. That amateur debacle which was Genia's attempted signing is ample evidence the rot has already started. A professional corporation, properly advised, would not have done what this club did.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    That was a terrible performance. The Force need to announce some positive news with a coach and player signings to bolster the franchise. It is nosediving badly into becoming an irrelevance and making Pococks decision on next year easy. The Rebels in there second year are showing us up which just pisses me off after we have endured 7 years of anticipation that RugbyWA would get their act together. Super Hero Sunday next week against the Rebels......well the super heroes are supposed to be found on the field, not in the stands. Take some action RugbyWA and fix this mess.

vCash
    Could not sleep after last nights debacle if we can call it that, woke up went for a run to clear the head, get rid of the built up angst.

Come back and realised that like a child of yours that does not perform as expected the first reaction is too emotional and raw, in the end we still love the child and will back to them to hilt.

Boys I will see you out there on Sunday again I will be part of the sea of blue and we will support you no matter what, and as a sign of faith I will wear my Force jumper out in public today

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Great post Tazz! I think you speak for all of us there. The team has nothing left to lose and everything to gain, so bring on the Rebels and let's do our bit to lift the team as best we can

vCash
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    ARU should give us a prop up to get some better overseas talent and drop the marquee number of players allowed for three years at least.

How can you get mad at the comments on the rugby club, we've got six players to keep and the rest would be lucky to shine in a first grade comp.

Until our home grown talent can measure up we need to look OS, if the ARU decide they can't sustain five teams guess who they'll drop first?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast