Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you give up gracefully?

vCash

How do you give up gracefully?

After two knee re constructions and a shoulder re construction last year and now struggling to get fit for this season I wanted to pose the question how do you give this game up as a player?

Now it seems my lower back (Sciatic nerve) decides its time to show its head to hold me back from playing without pain already this season. Surely I’m not too old already at 36 to have to give it up?

So I ask any of you who know what I mean here to help me out as I can’t think straight lately questioning the prospect of giving it away. I can make it through touch season relatively uninjured but the body doesn’t seem to be able to take the contact anymore.

I was thinking about vet’s rugby this year as an option.

This is quite serious to me so any advice would be taken on board legitimately.

Thanks,
    WRF.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Do you want to teach your grandkids how to pass a Rugby Ball???

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Do you want to teach your grandkids how to pass a Rugby Ball???
    I'm still teaching my son but yeah that's the plan I suppose.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Once your back starts to act up I feel it's time to re-evaluate your activities.

Might be time to talk to Ecky

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    It is a tough question though, I'd guess that for more than twenty years you have taken pride in not giving up in rugby and now you are thinking that you have to.

Perhaps giving your body a season off from contact will give some injuries a chance to heal and also the time will give you a chance to get your own perspective on what you want to do next.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Once your back starts to act up I feel it's time to re-evaluate your activities.

Might be time to talk to Ecky
    That's what I was gonna suggest

vCash
    I just love this game so much. I've looked at one other sport (cycling because my neighbour is right into it) but when I see an image of rugby on tv or in a magazine it sparks an emotion in me that nothing else does.

I'm still trying to find a winter touch side but that is proving quite difficult.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    just because u cant participate as a player doesnt mean u cant participate. or that you cant contribute to the club, or game that you love.

run the water, be part of the coaching staff, mentor some young kids, or get in touch with Ecky and grab a flag or a whistle.

You may have to quit playing, you are not going to quit living.

Talk to Fulvio about the fun and enjoyment he has at the big office of the club.

sure its time to hang up the boots - but mate, you arent dead yet.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I reckon you should do a coaching course and coach juniors. You can still be involved and maybe teach a Wallaby of the future.

Putting your body on the line is all good and well but at the end of the day its up to you to decide if its worth it and if in 10 years time you're going to regret it. Knees and shoulders..you can always have them replaced if playing means that much to you. You only get one spine though. Anything involving nerves/nerve damage IMHO is not worth the risk no matter what, I'd rather be walking around coaching a game then paralysed (obviously thats an extreme outcome but very possible).

If you find that coaching is not enough then take up touch again but after giving your body a rest and a chance to heal a bit.

Last edited by laura; 12-03-09 at 21:22.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I managed to struggle into the mid forties before the back finally gave out

the alternative could be staying home on a saturday doing the gardening
    you are a long time retired,so play as long as you can until the body tells you to give up,or your enthusiasm wanes
    mind you its not all bad standing on the sidelines with a beer in the hand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    mind you its not all bad standing on the sidelines with a beer in the hand!

Here-Here!....

vCash
    Of course if your niggling injuries improve while standing on the sidelines you can always pack down again in an emergency (got to keep your fitness up- weight lifting 375 ml at a time helps) or have a crack at a veterans comp.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have found our Captain!

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=17032

Seriously though, although I was serious just before..., I think if you are starting to ask questions you are going into the danger zone for injuries.
    If there is a niggling doubt, even in your sub consciousness and you start to go into contact that bit "easier" it's the beginning of the end.

At school we used to always play the Old Boys and while it would be a competitive match so many of the early to mid twenties blokes used to do some pretty bad injuries to themselves as they weren't playing regularly and had just lost that "edge" that had made them previously great players amongst their peers.

I know of plenty of examples where elite players have walked away just shy of major milestones because the risks become too high but what that level is? That’s for each to decide for themselves at the end of the day.

I certainly don’t envy your decision knowing how much it indeed means to you.
    In my world you pay attention to backs (as in spines, not players) though, they play for keeps.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    1 Take a complete season off from playing.

2 Take on a job as coach/assistant coach of your club's under 14/16s or

3 As a passionate seniors man, who will be at the club Tues, Thurs and Sat drinking piss anyway, take on a team managers job. You do get to drink some free piss that way, and you get to chose the carton.

4 Do some activity which keeps you fit without in any way affecting your injured parts. Sex is good.

5 Next September when you are jumping out of your jocks to get back into rugby, get into some preseason with a select few mates.

By November you will wonder what the problem was.

I played lower grade rugby in the front row (badly I'm told, but who gives a proverbial) until I was in my early fifties by listening to my body and having a year or two off along the way as necessary.

6 Keep away from referees, they are a bad lot, consisting mostly of power mad nazis who's whole aim in what's left of their miserable existence is to make life difficult for players. You are better than that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    1 Take a complete season off from playing.

2 Take on a job as coach/assistant coach of your club's under 14/16s or

3 As a passionate seniors man, who will be at the club Tues, Thurs and Sat drinking piss anyway, take on a team managers job. You do get to drink some free piss that way, and you get to chose the carton.

4 Do some activity which keeps you fit without in any way affecting your injured parts. Sex is good.

5 Next September when you are jumping out of your jocks to get back into rugby, get into some preseason with a select few mates.

By November you will wonder what the problem was.

I played lower grade rugby in the front row (badly I'm told, but who gives a proverbial) until I was in my early fifties by listening to my body and having a year or two off along the way as necessary.

6 Keep away from referees, they are a bad lot, consisting mostly of power mad nazis who's whole aim in what's left of their miserable existence is to make life difficult for players. You are better than that.

Thanks mate, sound advice.

At no point even at my lowest point did I condsider being a ref.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast