Thread: Underdog Wallabies sliding down rankings

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Underdog Wallabies sliding down rankings

Jim Morton,

AAP

October 4, 2012, 1:32 am

Argentina are in unchartered waters - favourites to win a first Rugby Championship match - and the sliding Wallabies can't disagree with the bookies.

The Pumas are $1.70 favourites to score their first victory in the expanded and rebranded southern hemisphere tournament when they meet the depleted Australians ($2.10) in Rosario on Saturday night (Sunday morning AEST).

Not since the days of the legendary Hugo Porta, when he made Argentina a rugby power in the early-mid 1980s, have the Wallabies been expected to lose to the Pumas.

Australia have just dropped from second to third in the IRB world rankings following their 31-8 loss to South Africa and could keep falling with another loss on the road.

Although the Pumas are winless in the competition, they have defied their No.8 ranking to be highly competitive against Australia, world champions New Zealand and South Africa.

The Wallabies' crippling injury list, which means they have a stronger Test 15 on the sidelines than in Rosario, has seen skipper Nathan Sharpe implore his side to show true character with a backs-to-the-wall win.

However centre Pat McCabe can't take issue with Australia's underdog status following their heavy loss in Pretoria.

"By the way we played on the weekend, I think the Argentinians would be deserved favourites for this game," McCabe said.

"Obviously they're a different proposition at home than what they are away and take immense pride in how well they play at home.

"We're under no illusions at how hard the game is going to be."

Wallabies forwards coach Andrew Blades said it was important the visitors took the 40,000-capacity crowd at Estadio Gigante de Arroyito out of the equation with a controlled start.

Blades played in the 1-1 series draw in 1997 when the Pumas scored their last victory over Australia in Buenos Aires, an 18-16 upset in the second Test as they rode the feverish home support.

"I saw a big difference in the two Tests. In one, we got off to a good start and were very disciplined and the crowd was quiet," the former prop recalled.

"I think there was also a Boca Juniors (soccer game) on the same day and some of the crowd left to watch that towards the end.

"In the second Test we were ill-disciplined and sloppy and let them in, and the Pumas really lifted.
    "As a team, we need to make sure we play good rugby to keep the crowd quiet."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...down-rankings/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Looks like the boys have got their "price right"

Put a few large on Australia 20+

The Blicks showed the Argies are a myth

Time to blow these half trackers off the park. Shift the ball and have an old fashioned go

Controversy corner

vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Looks like the boys have got their "price right"

Put a few large on Australia 20+

The Blicks showed the Argies are a myth

Time to blow these half trackers off the park. Shift the ball and have an old fashioned go
    with your mate HB scoring a hattrick