Thread: O'hAilpin v Cloke

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

O'hAilpin v Cloke

Although some obvious differences to Henjak v Sare, it will be interesting to see how a different code handles a somewhat similar incident between two players.

Blues wait for AFL's verdict on O'hAilpin

Jake Niall | February 9, 2009

CARLTON will not decide whether to take further action against Setanta O'hAilpin until the AFL's judiciary has dealt with his attack on teammate Cameron Cloke.

It is understood that the Blues will wait to see what punishment is meted out by either the AFL's match review panel or the tribunal before deciding on how to deal with O'hAilpin.

He punched Cloke in the head and then gave him a slight kick while he was lying face down in an intraclub game on Friday.

The Blues will consult their leadership group after O'hAilpin's fate is known, and will balance how his teammates feel about him and the Irishman's welfare.

Carlton, which has already suspended O'hAilpin pending the investigation, feels it has some duty of a care to a player who has had off-field issues in recent months.

Carlton, in any case, would find it difficult to sack O'hAilpin outright, given the limits imposed by the standard player contract. If the club did terminate him, it would have to pay out his modest contract, which has a small base and then match payments.

While O'hAilpin has been remorseful since his attack on Cloke — an incident filmed and widely shown on television and the internet — he also has contended that his actions were retaliatory.

Clubs have few avenues for terminating a player's contract. They can argue that a player such as O'hAilpin has brought the club or the game into disrepute (as in the Ben Cousins example).

They can argue that there has been a breach of contract, or point to a criminal act. In O'hAilpin's case, there has been no breach of contract, nor any criminal act, and it seems unlikely that a case could be mounted that he has brought the club into disrepute.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    In O'hAilpin's case, there has been no breach of contract, nor any criminal act, and it seems unlikely that a case could be mounted that he has brought the club into disrepute.
    I'm thinking it's not the best ad for the club at any rate. Wonder where the line is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    I'm thinking it's not the best ad for the club at any rate. Wonder where the line is?
    I saw the footage on Sports tonight on Saturday night and no it did not look very good. it would not have looked good against an opposition team, let alone a team mate in an intra club scatchie

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I saw the footage on Sports tonight on Saturday night and no it did not look very good. it would not have looked good against an opposition team, let alone a team mate in an intra club scatchie
    Would have been okay against the Weagles though. imho

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was there any lead up footage to support "retaliation"?
    I haven't seen anything as TV is on the blink.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Yes- In that case it's known as the "Barry Hall Love Tap"

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Haven't been following it closely, but I've only seen the kicking and punching, not the alleged provocation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I haven't seen anything as TV is on the blink.
    Not that I saw, a few of the reports I have read have said that it was pretty much unprovoked, physically at least

Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Like when Ben Cousins broke Daniel Kerr's arm when Kerr started dating Cousins Sister

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Punching and kicking someone are not criminal acts?

Apart from statutory or common law defences (which would not appear to be available from the footage I saw), since when?

vCash
    the code difference is the AFL player putting to boot in...Carlton Club under belly style...

Give Henjak credit it was a nice clean hit, jaw breaker....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, thought that was a bit of a strange statement Fulv

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    The big difference that I see is the approach to achieving justice.
    The team is also consulted and is a part of the process. Without wanting to rehash the past I wonder if Matt Henjak vs Haig Sare would have resulted in different penalties if the other players had of been able to voice their opinion.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    the code difference is the AFL player putting to boot in...Carlton Club under belly style...
    Nah, that's just the pug Irish coming out in Setanta

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    The big difference that I see is the approach to achieving justice.
    The team is also consulted and is a part of the process. Without wanting to rehash the past I wonder if Matt Henjak vs Haig Sare would have resulted in different penalties if the other players had of been able to voice their opinion.
    Don't know... Henjak was a bit of a punchy chap...JON just saw it as an opportunity to make a big public statement since he just returned to the ARU CEO job...

However I wonder what Sare said to firer Henjak up? I'm sure he wont be saying that to anyone in the future...

Your got two very different guys here: a roughhouse kid from Queanbeyan and a Northern Beaches kid with a big mouth from Sydney...add plenty of achohol = the outcome is a punch up...

Its a shame, Henjak would have had a great year with Gits on teh field...

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Wasn't at the Left Bank, or even on this site much at the time. But some of the opinion I read was that neither party were entirely innocent (that Sare also copped a suspension supports this).
    My point is that most AFL teams would not have an independant judge make the decisions about guilt and punishment. The assessment of guilt may be independant but the punishment is usally decided by the club and the players have some input into what the punishment should be.
    This has it's good points and bad points a good player group will get it right - North Melbourne and Wayne Carey, a questionable player group will get it wrong - West Coast and Ben Cousins, Daniel Kerr, Michael Gardner etc etc

vCash
    Carlton's Setanta O'hAilpin has accepted a four-match ban after being charged by the AFL match review panel with striking and kicking team-mate Cameron Cloke.

The Irishman was sighted after clashing with Cloke during the Blues' intra-club match on Friday.

O'hAilpin's ban does not come into effect until the premiership season.

But the utility player is currently suspended by the club, which will make a decision on his future on Friday.
    http://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/news/...s-fourweek-ban