Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton is apparently boring

vCash

Hamilton is apparently boring

Springboks put boot into Hamilton's image

Duncan Johnstone, Stuff.co.nz | September 8, 2009 - 9:54AM

South African coach Peter de Villiers has explained his side's late arrival in New Zealand this week, saying "there is nothing in Hamilton" and adding that they want to stay away from negative reporting ahead of Saturday's crucial tri Nations clash with the All Blacks.

The Boks have snubbed Hamilton's first hosting of a test of this magnitude, only arriving in the city late on Thursday.

They have decided to do the bulk of their preparations on the Gold Coast, staying in Queensland after being beaten by the Wallabies in Brisbane last Saturday night – a result that has put pressure on them to get the job done against the All Blacks this weekend.

De Villiers believes the atmosphere around Surfer's Paradise will keep his players fresher than being in the centre of the Waikato.

"There is nothing in Hamilton. Hotel fatigue can kick in and the guys can lose interest very quickly and they might start thinking of going home already," de Villiers told media when asked to explain his reasoning.

"So I decided to bring them here to keep them interested so that they can be fresh when we get to New Zealand on Thursday.

"We will only know afterwards if we did the right or wrong thing. One thing I am always aware of is not to tire the guys out psychologically.

The Springboks are also keen to stay out of the New Zealand spotlight, realising the intense interest on this test.

The All Blacks have lost twice to the Boks in South Africa in this campaign and now they have been thrown a Tri Nations lifeline by the Wallabies, meaning an even bigger focus on a test that is sold out.

"It is also quite nice to be around positive reporting," said de Villiers.

"We don't need to be in situations where people want to bring our players down. By staying here at the Gold Coast it will add to the positivity that needs to be instilled in our player's preparation."

De Villiers has already sensed a lift in his team and believes they will be in the right frame of mind to take on the All Blacks.

"They will always be disappointed when they lose," he said of his players' reaction to their 21-6 defeat by the Wallabies.

"However, there is still a positive vibe in the group. There's a new energy flowing through them and I like it. I didn't see it last week and I know they will stand up for themselves this week."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...201210537.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "the guys can lose interest very quickly and they might start thinking of going home already"

What the ?

vCash
    Latham said similar things about Hamilton a few years back in the Super14, he got blasted by the local media and the Reds lost, but i guess he had a point.

vCash
    At least no one has said the same about Perth.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    You think so, Normie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    um...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I give you the tip

Hamilton makes Canberra look like Brisvegas

vCash
    Kiwi PM hits out at 'misguided' Boks
    September 09, 2009 - 3:26pm
    Story by: NZPA

The Springbok rugby team's snub of Hamilton drew a haughty reaction from New Zealand Prime Minister John Key and other officials as they set about selling this country as an attractive destination in 2011.

Key, dignitaries from the International Rugby Board and leading New Zealand rugby officials gathered in Hamilton to mark the date - two years out from the start of the 2011 Rugby World Cup hosted by New Zealand.

On hand was All Blacks captain Richie McCaw although there was no representation from the world champion Springboks, who have elected to conduct most of their preparation on Queensland's Gold Coast ahead of the Bundaberg Rum Tri-Nations Test against New Zealand on Saturday.

South African coach Peter de Villiers stirred up local sentiment by explaining his players risked going stale if they arrived earlier as "there is nothing in Hamilton".

He has them preparing in the bright lights and relative seclusion of Surfers Paradise before crossing the Tasman on Thursday.

Key took umbrage at that attitude and anticipated it would backfire.

"I actually think it's South Africa's loss," he said.

"I think it's misguided actually and I think when they come here on Saturday night, they'll come to realise that they like the place even less when they've been thumped by the All Blacks."

The head of the tournament organising group, Rugby New Zealand 2011 Ltd chief executive Martin Snedden, also took a subtle pot-shot.

Snedden was discussing the process of allocating each of the 20 participating teams to various "base" cities where they will train and live during the Rugby World Cup.

None had yet been announced although Snedden could not resist a dig at the Springboks.

"We've had to radically change our planning this morning, realising that the idea of having South Africa based here (Hamilton) for five weeks is probably not the most sensible thing to do."

Brought to you by AAP

http://rugby.com.au/news/aap/s-60265.../section/21893

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by normie
    Ya reckon? Guarantee you atleast 2 Wallabies said it within a day of being here!

vCash
    I actually think Hamilton is quite a nice place and frankly, what do the Boks want to do in the lead up? Nightclubbing, surfing, theme parks, comedy clubs, concerts?

How about some training boys? I'm sure there are a few decent pitches in Hamilton for a gallop before the main event.

vCash
    I like that they want to spend more time seeing the sights and less time training, bodes well for the Kiwis to beat them.

vCash
    come in spinner!

Player
    vCash
    So they would prefer to be painting the town red instead of winning the Tri-Nations. Interesting. New Zealand by 20. With the Wallabies with the ultimate power in deciding who wins the tournament.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "It is also quite nice to be around positive reporting," - in Australia! How low is that bar? They'd rather be reading the our take on them getting poked than either their home press or the Kiwis looking forward to the weekend. Or perhaps it is just a comment on how little Union gets covered. But that they read anything or care doesn't say much for their mental preparation...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    [I]But that they read anything or care doesn't say much for their mental preparation...
    They can read?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    If they pop in to Sin City we'll never see them again - what a great nightclub...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast