Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cordingley may motor off to Grenoble

vCash

Cordingley may motor off to Grenoble

Cordingley may motor off to Grenoble
    Wayne Smith | April 28, 2008 Cordingley may motor off to Grenoble | The Australian

FOR want of a car, Queensland Reds halfback and captain Sam Cordingley might be on the road to France to play out the remainder of his career with his old second division club, Grenoble.

Cordingley this month indicated he intended to re-sign with the Reds for two more years and then hopefully move into a coaching career with the organisation. But within a day of that news breaking, the 32-year-old learned that a key component of his Queensland package, a car, had to be dropped.

"It was totally out of the Reds' control and I don't blame them for it, but I felt a vital part of the deal had fallen through," Cordingley said yesterday.

"At about the same time, Grenoble came back and said I could have a year-and-a-half contract or a two-and-a-half year contract, take my pick.

"The Reds are offering two years so, at my age, that extra six months playing in France is very attractive.

"As much as I'd like to stay with the Reds, I'd probably say I'm leaning towards heading off to France.

"Of course I'd love to continue playing Test football this year but I realise by signing with a French club it might have some impact on my chances."

Suddenly, the Reds' rebuilding program, which had been shaping up well, is looking decidedly light on for experience.

Fullback Chris Latham has, at best, only two games left with the Reds before he heads to Worcester, hooker Stephen Moore, who brought up his 50th cap in Queensland's 32-20 loss to the Chiefs in Hamilton on Saturday, has confirmed he too is leaving, though whether for Canberra or Perth remains unclear. Goalkicking winger Clinton Schifcofske will decide in the coming days whether to take the three-year deal on offer at Ulster.

Moore's decision to leave the Reds has produced a spectacular if short-term dividend.

Now that the weight of a decision has been lifted from his shoulders and he has spoken over the past week with incoming Brumbies coach Andy Friend and Force bosses John Mitchell and Greg Harris, the World Cup hooker has returned to top form.

He was at his rampaging best, smashing so regularly through the Chiefs that he was an automatic choice for the players' award.

"As much as you don't want it to distract you, when you've got to stand up and tell your team-mates you're leaving, that's something that weighs on your mind," Moore said.

Even a modest slice of luck would have seen the Reds win a pulsating match they dominated for lengthy periods and which ultimately hinged on a 14-point play, Sione Lauaki scoring from an intercept of a Quade Cooper pass just when it seemed Cooper or Morgan Turinui were try-bound at the other end.

They came away empty-handed after two controversial rulings from the television match official and a number of dubious ones from referee Craig Joubert.

The video referee was happy to give Chiefs winger Lelia Masaga the benefit of the doubt in awarding him his second try when it appeared he had gone into touch before placing the ball, yet denied the Reds the same latitude when captain James Horwill crashed over in a tumble of bodies.

The good news for the Reds is that winger Peter Hynes and halfback Ben Lucas both should recover quickly from ankle injuries. But so well did their replacements, Digby Ioane and Will Genia, play that it will be no disaster if they are forced out of Friday's match against the Blues at Suncorp Stadium. Of greater concern is a shoulder injury to blindside flanker John Roe.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    all for the love of a car

vCash
    he's not re-signing because of a car? jeeeeeez, you'd think his salary could buy him a car without it being included in a deal.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Wow. The Reds are in a little bit of trouble. I wonder what sort of impact this will have on their wallabies careers...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    i don't think the wallabies will give him a car either lol

vCash
    Get Queensland Rail to give him a train or a multirider.

vCash
    haha

yeah thats pretty dissapointing, he practically came out and said he would be staying, and then this happens, though i do suppose he in injured for the majority of the time.

Experience cant be replaced though and that will be the biggest loss.

vCash
    dude, buy your own bloody car. salary sacrifice and pay less tax!

vCash
    Let the has-been piss off to France.....we'll chip in for a taxi fare to the airport!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    dam straight.
    if hes going to go over a car, he can piss off!
    thats just a pathetic excuse.
    i'm thinking this is a cop out because theres more money in france for him.
    yes i know i just stated the obvious there as well

vCash
    mmm very strange indeed. But realistically, his injuries these past two seasons have seen him with little game time for the Reds. Perhaps it is better if he goes - Lucas and Genia have gone very well when they have been given chances.

Champion
    vCash
    sounds like another digby ioane, "I'm staying, I'm Staying"..

If QReds wanted him that much, they should buy him a car, a datsun 120y wont cost that much...

But what i've seen of the reds over the past 160mins they could throw him to the european scrap heap the youngester are coming thru well..

That puts the wallabies up the creek with now there 2nd no.9 out of contention.. Henjak (for his own reasons) and now cordingley.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting they don't say what car...

vCash
    anything less than a hummer(70grand) and someone needs to slap some sense into him!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    He wouldn't be able to see over the wheel. I was thinking something very low and very fast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast