Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force in dark over signing of Kiwi rake

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Force in dark over signing of Kiwi rake

From the West Australian website.... interesting picture. The guy looks like he has a lot more mongrel in him then Luke Holmes.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ARU buggerised us around a bit on this one. Hope it works out. Hell if the Tahs can get a guy who's nickname is 'Dud' then we should be allowed this guy.

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian January 9, 2010, 10:55 am

Lee Griffith © Enlarge photo

The Western Force have been left in limbo over whether they can add New Zealand hooker James Parsons to their 2010 Super 14 squad.

The Force were hoping to have been told yesterday by the Australian Rugby Union that they had clearance to sign the North Harbour rake.

Parsons, 23, has been on a five-day trial with the Force but because the ARU have not notified them of its decision have extended the trial into next week.

The Force, eager to fill the vacant third hooking spot before heading off for two trials in South Africa in 10 days, are happy with Parsons.

Rugby manager Mitch Hardy said: "We have been impressed with the way he has been training.

"James came with an excellent recommendation from his North Harbour coach, (former All Black prop) Craig Dowd.

"We are pleased with what we've seen so far. He's ticking all the right boxes. He's done well.

"He's performed well in the scrum series and the line-out sets.

"He's done well and he'll push the other two blokes. He's shown enough for us to extend his trial period."

If the Force decide to keep him, Parsons will join Rockingham product Ryan Tyrrell and Australia A schoolboy Ben Whittaker in the challenge for the run-on side.

Parsons was a regular first choice for North Harbour in the provincial Air New Zealand Cup competition last season.

The 187cm and 106kg hooker graduated to the North Harbour ANZ Cup squad in 2007 through their academy and second XV ranks and has made 21 appearances.

Parsons, who played No. 8 and openside flanker as a youngster, said: "I'm pretty happy with the way things have gone.

"I was excited to get the opportunity to show myself and hopefully get a gig in Australia.

"I've had a couple of years in the Air New Zealand Cup and I think I've got the goods. It's a lucky break coming here and it's a good one.

"I've just got my fingers crossed now. I've done all I can. It's up to the decision makers now."

The Force have been on a desperate hunt for another hooker since foundation player Tai McIsaac retired last season to coach in Japan and second-string rake Luke Holmes was cut from the squad.

Under ARU rules, Super 14 franchises can sign two overseas players.

One can be a "marquee" player who has already qualified for another country - the Force have signed Andre Pretorius - and the second is a development player who could qualify for Australia selection under the International Rugby Board's three-year residency law.

The ARU blocked the Force bid to sign another Kiwi, Otago hooker Peter Mirrielees, 27, as their overseas development player, claiming he was too old to fit their protocols.

They tried to snare Queensland hooker Sean Hardman, and also missed Australian under-20 captain Damien Fitzpatrick, who re-signed with the NSW Waratahs, Tatafu Polota-Nau, also from the Tahs, and Springbok Bismarck du Plessis.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-of-kiwi-rake/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 09-01-10 at 12:53.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    who sets the deadlines here the Force or the ARU or the lad stuck in the middle

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    As far as everything goes he fits the criteria....Cheesh!!! what's their problem??? He does look as though he has alot of mongrel in him...Bless!!! Bring him on!!!

vCash
    the aru cant pull the "too old line".........def looks like an ideal candidate for foreign development player and being a loose forward in the past means he could be very handy in not just the set plays.

vCash
    yeah he looks the goods etc.. but wondering what the hold up is - the Force state that the want to lock him in etc.. but the ARU is not playing ball - is it realistic to expect the ARU to give an answer within a week - am assuming that they have known for more than a week - so what is their problem or are the Force running to hard or too fast - why don't they just say yes and let us and James get on with things - like pre-season training / finding a home - paying out the VBook

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The guy looks like he has a lot more mongrel in him then Luke Holmes.
    Nothing against the young man. But looks can be deceiving.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Be fair to Al
    He has just been raped by the allblacks in this shot
    This image is post traumatic shock, not "mongrel"

Controversy corner

vCash
    I think the timeline with Parsons was that he would spend last week having a trial and this coming week the Force would make a decision about signing him. The newspaper article may have been more of an attention-grabber rather than a real cause for concern. Lets see how things pan out over the next few days, I can't see any reason why the Force would be refused permission to sign him....

vCash
    If he isn't eligible for the wallabies, doesn't that provide a problem?

Controversy corner

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Nothing against the young man. But looks can be deceiving.

Ahhh, good ol' Cap'n Huff 'n' Puff...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    If he isn't eligible for the wallabies, doesn't that provide a problem?
    He can eventually qualify for the wallabies under the 3 year residency rule. That is why one of the reqirements of the ARU is that 'overseas development players' are of a young age. The Force was not allowed to sign the hooker from Otago because he was 27 yo meaning he would not qualify for the wallabies until he was 30. Parsons is 23 and would therefore be eligible for the wallabies at age 26 - still young enough for an international career (provided, of course, that he was good enough!).

vCash
    Thanks for clearing that up Todd old boy

Has anybody heard whether he has signed for the Force? Is he touring and will he get a start?

Controversy corner

vCash
    I'm sure someone will ask today at JB's. Just off there now.

vCash
    Spoke to Crispian about James Parsons last night - quietly optimistic about an announcement by friday

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Spoke to Crispian about James Parsons last night - quietly optimistic about an announcement by friday
    Interesting though that the concensus seemed to be that Ryan would be the starting hooker with Parsons actually on the bench for some final impact.

All in the hands of the beast that is the ARU.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast