Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to recruit development players

Legend Contributor
    vCash

How to recruit development players

Found this article....http://www.rugby365.com/article/4882...led-generation....really interesting. Going straight to the gist of it, the article basically states that:
    "Just 30 of South Africa's vast number of professional players will be able to sustain some sort of a living after they stop playing the game".
    That being the case, how much potential might there be for "scholarship" type recruitment? We have a couple of development player spots open for potential future Wallabies and that is fine. But so long as financial independence was maintained, would there be anything to prevent RugbyWA/sponsors perhaps recruiting players to WA? They obviously wouldn't be Force players, but could train with them and the academy on a semi-pro basis while getting a qualification. By the time they have completed that, residency would be basically up and they would be eligible for selection. The ES basically do in the Islands it via the schools, why not us via the mines?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    love it

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    The ES basically do in the Islands it via the schools, why not us via the mines?
    Great idea. Why not scout out WA indigenous kids for scholarships too? That's how Beale got to captain Joeys first XV. There's certain to be some deadly outside backs out there.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Great idea. Why not scout out WA indigenous kids for scholarships too? That's how Beale got to captain Joeys first XV. There's certain to be some deadly outside backs out there.
    As far as the bruddas up north go, it Should be but theres no rugby union presence at all in the north west apart from the bloody slow cup in newman. They love AFL, Touch or Basketball. League has a much bigger presence up here and would snap up any guys who would show any interest.

vCash
    Great idea! We should definately look at a scheme like this. We could offer it to kids from anywhere. Theres loads of un-tapped talent out there in the big, wide world.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think the Kimberley would do really, really well with some kind of rugby 7s competition. A lot of talented kids up here end up on scholarships to Perth private schools anyway.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolly Doolly View Post
    As far as the bruddas up north go, it Should be but theres no rugby union presence at all in the north west apart from the bloody slow cup in newman.
    I was with Dampier Mungos in the 70's / 80,s. Some fantastic indigenous Footy players back then. Played one of them at FB ina game of Rugby against the Navy one time and he scored 3 meat pies from full back despite never having played the game before. They ARE out there.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Well what better representative and role model for young aboriginal kids then the new captain hodgo who identifies himself as aboriginal i believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think the Kimberley would do really, really well with some kind of rugby 7s competition. A lot of talented kids up here end up on scholarships to Perth private schools anyway.
    Great idea about the 7's. I think thats how most of the blacks in South Africa developed their interest and pathway to the 15 man code. Theres already some talented aboriginal touch players up here.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That is absolutely the sort of community project that mining companies could be doing now. Sponsor sevens, spot kids, send them to school down south and then roll them into the same vocational/educational "scholarship" program that overseas lads get recruited into.

vCash
    I wouldn't put the " around the scholarships though, Andy. The fact that Beale ended up being such a talent was simply a bonus for the program. The intent should be to give opportunity to develop the person. Kurtley's subsequent "excursions" are more likely a product of hi sporting celebrity than any other factors.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolly Doolly View Post
    Great idea about the 7's. I think thats how most of the blacks in South Africa developed their interest and pathway to the 15 man code. Theres already some talented aboriginal touch players up here.
    The beauty of 7s is that it would be easier to set up. No scrum hassles. No getting 40 willing players hassles. Yet you can build some great skills.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The quotation marks were more because I wouldn't restrict the scope of the program to formal education. In essence they'd be getting paid to ease the requirement to support themselves and allow them more freedom to train and play, but with the money contingent on them actively aquiring a post-rugby skill. Might be uni, but might equally be an apprenticeship.

vCash
    Yet it all comes back to money... Think of how expensive a UNI degree is currently, then accommodations and living exspenses... You are looking at $50'000 a year per player easy...

Such programs aren't run cheap
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Commonwealth supported aces aren't that expensive TOCC if we're not getting them from overseas, the uni component of the scholarship would pretty much match TAFE for the cheaper courses. Maybe 5k per year. Throw in some share housing, dietary support (I assume we're talking about young blokes who might never have lived on their own) and some ancillary costs you could probably get it done cheaper than 50 per head. Seems like chicken feed in comparison to a SupeRugby salary!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast