Thread: Dynamic duo to be unleashed in Wales

vCash

Dynamic duo to be unleashed in Wales

Shock and awe from Smith and Waugh
    (Rugby News Service) Monday 10 September 2007
    By Paul Reid

MONTPELLIER, 10 September - Australia head coach John Connolly could unleash both his world-class openside flankers against Wales at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday.

Connolly kept 62-Test veteran Phil Waugh caged up while George Smith ran rampant against Japan in the opening weekend of the IRB Rugby World Cup.

Vice-captain Waugh was squeezed out of the Australia's squad when Connolly opted for three backs on the bench, giving Berrick Barnes a nerve-settling taste of international rugby in his Wallabies debut.

Aussie beef

But Connolly will beef up the bench with a 5:2 split of forwards and backs for the Wales match, giving him the chance to use both Smith and Waugh as tag team tormentors.

Not one to blow his own trumpet, Smith reluctantly agrees he's in career-best form.

"In the Super 14 I've definitely had a great year - I've enjoyed it," said Smith, also a Wallaby vice-captain.

"And with the training leading into this world cup I definitely feel I'm playing some really good football."

Smith was on top of his game against Japan, scoring arguably the try of the match when he flattened Koji Taira in a tackle and then ripped the ball from him as he went down, before racing 20m to score in the corner.

Lean, mean and keen

Connolly started with Smith in this year's Tri Nations series but previously preferred Waugh in the first James Bevan Trophy Test against Wales in Sydney (won 29-23 by Australia with Waugh as captain).

The coach may again look to Waugh in Saturday's Pool B match to keep the 27-year-old lean, mean and keen.

"They're starting to provide different things, Phil and George," Connolly said on Sunday.

"Phil's developing his running game quite well and there is a point of difference now I think. And that's good for Australia."

Potentially, not so good for Wales.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    So if Phil's on the bench again (which i think is a good thing) then who do we turn to for the backs? Stanners and Mitchell? Or is Coops injured and out putting Mitchell in the starting 15, which would have to put Sheps on the bench...he's the only back versatile enough

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Versatility is a key Jehna
    The Team for Japan was portrayed as the dress rehearsal for Wales so I think they will stick with all fit players from the weekend.
    That would see:

#9 Gregan
    #10 Larkham
    #11 Tuqiri
    #12 Giteau
    #13 Mortlock
    #14 Ashley-Cooper/Mitchell
    #15 Latham
    #21 Barnes
    #22 Mitchell/Staniforth/Shepherd

"Bloody oath we did!"