6 31.58%
  • Brumbies +15

4 21.05%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 2024 Round 13 Force v Brumbies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    I hope we sign Beale for another season. He looked dangerous every time he touched the ball, even set up Poolman for his try.
    I hope the Japanese flag bandana he was wearing at the end of the match wasn't an omen...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Defence stats:

Less tackles than usual was pleasing, as it meant we attacked more than usual.

125 Tackles made, 16 missed.

3 Turnovers won 15 conceded reflecting the Brumbies breakdown dominance.

The usual suspects feature in this weeks stats:

Princep, Tizzano, Stewart and Horton.

Leahy and Pearce pleasing from the younger cohort.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-06-02 131029.png
Views: 252
Size:  13.5 KB

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I hope the Japanese flag bandana he was wearing at the end of the match wasn't an omen...

yeah, lets hope that was to hide the claret.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    yeah, lets hope that was to hide the claret.
    Not sure I've seen a Back bleed that much before
    Seemed to fire him up too, the last 15 minutes he seemed to have a real "f&ck you!" edge to how he was hitting it up and taking on the line.
    Might need to slap him around a bit in the sheds...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Five things we learn from Western Force - ACT Brumbies

Sat, Jun 1, 2024, 7:42 PM
    Nathan Williamson

The ACT Brumbies tuned up for next week's finals clash with the tough 24-19 win over the Western Force in Perth.

The Brumbies absorbed significant pressure throughout the match but took their opportunities to get the victory.

Catch every game of Super Rugby Pacific LIVE, ad-free and on demand on Stan Sport.

So what did we learn?

1. Finals locked in

Both teams headed into the weekend hoping Saturday’s game still had finals ramifications but their fate was sealed as they took the field to warm up.

Stephen Larkham’s side will face a difficult clash against the Highlanders, one of the few teams used to the freezing conditions that will likely meet them in Canberra.

They will take confidence out of their tough win in Dunedin back in March with Allan Alaalatoa back in the squad.

As for the Reds and Rebels, tough travels to NZ await against the Chiefs and Hurricanes respectively, looking to become the first Australian side to win a finals game across the Tasman

2. Turning chances into points

The Force will be disappointed in their return from their significant territory advantage in the first half.

It shows the difference between the elite teams and those pushing for finals contention, with the Brumbies striking twice from their three visits in the opening 20 minutes.

Flyhalf Max Burey was strong on his return to the starting side but they were missing that finishing quality like a Toole or Tom Wright, which proved the difference.

Simon Cron’s side should try and target a player such as Darby Lancaster or Lachlan Anderson after the Rebels’ unfortunate exit from Super Rugby

3. Dangers of a 6-2 bench

The Force couldn’t catch a break pre-match with results and the luck continued into the game.

Izack Rodda called it the ‘curse of the 6-2 bench’ after the game and it felt that way as their backline succumbed to several sudden injuries. Hamish Stewart’s 100th game was soured by injury early in the second half and Nic White came off second best after colliding with Tom Horton.

With Sam Spink injured minutes after his inclusion, it left Carlo Tizzano to mark Corey Toole on the wing as their forward-heavy approach backfired.

Tizzano would’ve relished the challenge but ultimately there are not too many out-and-out wingers that can contain Toole, let alone flankers, as he sealed the win with a long-range effort to set up Tom Wright.

4. Young talent time

Round 15 has been a showcase for the emerging stars in Super Rugby, with Ronan Leahy the latest star to step up for the Force.

Leahy caused the Brumbies troubles when he got into space and has shown over the past fortnight he deserves a great role in 2025.

The Australia U20s vice-captain will have a big role to play in July at the World Championships alongside Reds half Harry McLaughlin-Philips and hopefully Waratahs star Max Jorgensen pending his fitness.

2023 team-mates Jack Bowen, Tim Ryan, Tom Lynagh and Darby Lancaster all had strong games throughout the weekend to show the talent coming through the system.

5. Loosehead problems deepen for Brumbies

The Brumbies front-row depth will be tested after Blake Schoupp’s return lasted less than five minutes before the luckless prop succumbed to a shoulder injury.

Schoupp was making his return from a similar injury, thrown straight into the deep end after James Slipper’s calf strain.

With Slipper racing the clock to be fit for Saturday’s quarter-final against the Highlanders, it places heavy pressure on Harry Vella to deliver after going 75 minutes.

Along with this, coach Stephen Larkham will be hoping Corey Toole pulls through strong after limping in the final minutes following an unsuccessful chase for a kick.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Not sure I've seen a Back bleed that much before
    Seemed to fire him up too, the last 15 minutes he seemed to have a real "f&ck you!" edge to how he was hitting it up and taking on the line.
    Might need to slap him around a bit in the sheds...
    it is indeed a rare sight, and you are spot on - he had a good game but that last spell he was on fire.

vCash
    Five things we learn from Western Force - ACT Brumbies

Simon Cron’s side should try and target a player such as Darby Lancaster or Lachlan Anderson after the Rebels’ unfortunate exit from Super Rugby

Hearing rumour that the number of international players that each side can have next season is two, if this is correct the Force are going to lose some brilliant lads. Irrespective of that a speed demon or two on the wing would be very handy, Zac and Jordan of previous years were very handy.

It might also put pay to the Guy Porter rumour...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Hearing rumour that the number of international players that each side can have next season is two, if this is correct the Force are going to lose some brilliant lads. Irrespective of that a speed demon or two on the wing would be very handy, Zac and Jordan of previous years were very handy.

It might also put pay to the Guy Porter rumour...
    That would certainly hurt us, but if we are genuine about Wallaby pathways AND (!!!) the Force get a fair shake at the elite Rebels, then fair enough.
    While, according to Goog, RA can't tell players where to go, there should be enough vagueness in the contracts to the 17 that RA should be able to say "this contract is valid for continuing at X Franchise, if not its void but you're welcome to negotiate a new contract with one of the others."

Last edited by Burgs; 02-06-24 at 23:04.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Super Rugby Pacific 2024 TOTW:

11. Ronan Leahy (Western Force)
    Leahy finished his season with a great outing as he looms as a player to watch at next month’s U20 World Championships.

He bumped off Andy Muirhead with a couple of carries and looked like the Force’s most damaging runner in open space thanks to a trio of line breaks.

This saw him narrowly edge out his opposition Corey Toole, who made a successful return from injury

1. Harry Vella (ACT Brumbies)
    2. Matt Faessler (Queensland Reds)
    3. Taniela Tupou (Melbourne Rebels)
    4. Nick Frost (ACT Brumbies)
    5. Jed Holloway (NSW Waratahs)
    6. Liam Wright (Queensland Reds)
    7. Fraser McReight (Queensland Reds)
    8. Rob Valetini (ACT Brumbies)
    9. Tate McDermott (Queensland Reds)
    10. Jack Bowen (NSW Waratahs)
    12. David Feliuai (Melbourne Rebels)
    13. Josh Flook (Queensland Reds)
    14. Andrew Kellaway (Melbourne Rebels)
    15. Tom Wright (ACT Brumbies)

Last edited by Burgs; 03-06-24 at 19:50.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Super Rugby Pacific 2024 TOTW:

Leahy finished his season with a great outing as he looms as a player to watch at next month’s U20 World Championships.

He bumped off Andy Muirhead with a couple of carries and looked like the Force’s most damaging runner in open space thanks to a trio of line breaks.

This saw him narrowly edge out his opposition Corey Toole, who made a successful return from injury
    I think they've done a good job of introducing him at the SR level, some good game time in the Cheetas series, and then let him spend time in the Academy and U20 environment. He and Poolman were chatting with KB several times in the game, getting them exposure to this kind of experience is also invaluable. So far, this, to me, is what "good talent management" looks like. The trick will be keeping the forwards occupied for another couple of years to allow them to bulk up. Marley and Horto were definitely bigger units this season.

Veteran
    vCash
    I was pretty crook when i watched the game, but i really didnt see Valentino do much, the other 8's must have been pretty sub-par?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4