Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2024 Melbourne Rebels Squad Dispersal

vCash
    Without analysing I'm hoping Cronno has crossed paths with a few of them over the years. Mayve dropped them a whatsapp or two

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Filipo Daugunu returns to the Queensland Reds for 2025

Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 7:38 AM
    Reds Media Unit

Wallabies utility back Filipo Daugunu has signed a one-year deal to return to the Queensland Reds.

The Queensland Rugby Union is delighted to announce the experienced addition to build backline depth for the 2025 season.

Daugunu, 29, played 69 Super Rugby games during his six previous seasons (2018-23) at the Reds before a strong 2024 stint of 12 games for the Melbourne Rebels.

The decision to reconnect with the Reds became an easy one.

“Queensland is home for me. It’s where it all started,” Daugunu said.

“For me to come back, I’m honoured to be here. There will be a lot of familiar faces. I’m happy.”

Last week, he packed his car and drove the 18 hours from Melbourne to Brisbane to re-establish his life.

Daugunu is returning to the Reds as a more versatile player. He played almost exclusively at outside centre for the Rebels after making his name as a winger.

“For me, it was a good change to go to Melbourne. I played a lot at outside centre and enjoyed the defensive role where you read the play by connecting with your inside centre and the winger on the outside,” Daugunu said.

"I've spent most of my career playing on the wing. I'm happy to play the position where I'm needed.

“The news has been tough for the Rebels but you have to move on.”

The popular Daugunu burst onto the scene in 2017 after arriving unheralded from his homeland of Fiji.

He carried his speed and try-scoring for the Wests club into even more prolific deeds for Queensland Country. He crossed for a hat-trick of tries in Country’s 42-28 win over Canberra Vikings in the grand final of the 2017 National Rugby Championship.

Daugunu’s dash generated 22 tries for the Reds in six seasons and his play has earned him seven Test caps to date.

His recent elevation into the Wallabies squad of new coach Joe Schmidt shows how highly his experience and form is valued.

At 98kg, Daugunu also adds a powerful frame to the Reds’ backline options.

“It’s fantastic that Filipo has returned to Queensland. He’s much respected and we’re really pleased he has chosen to come home,” Reds Head Coach Les Kiss said.

“He gives us great cover in the midfield and outside backs.” Negotiations are continuing with a number of players following the recent re-signings of Hunter Paisami, Zane Nonggorr, George Blake, Ryan Smith, Josh Flook, Josh Nasser and Tom Lynagh plus the signing of Josh Canham.

FILIPO DAUGUNU
    Position: Winger-Centre

Height: 178cm

Weight: 98kg

Born: 04/03/1995

Birthplace: Labasa, Fiji

Senior Club: TBC

School: Dogotuki District School, Fiji

Queensland Reds debut: 2018 v Rebels, Melbourne

Super Rugby caps: 81 (Reds 69, Rebels 12)

Super Rugby points: 145 (Reds 120: 22 tries, 2 cons, 2 pens), (Rebels 25: 5 tries)

Wallabies Tests: 7

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Looking pretty clear how these rebels players are going to be dispersed. We'll obviously need to be looking at other avenues, however overseas options are apparently now closed to us also. Zooming of the force looking very much like a net negative at the moment for the Force and Wallabies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3