Thread: Bouris & Hoiles

vCash

Bouris & Hoiles

Just watching a "Straight Talk" Youtube podcast. Mark Bouris & Hoiles talking Can Rugby be Saved. Some interesting insights into the dynamics of kids playing Rugby and League & what's changed and turned people off Rugby. Interesting show.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 28-06-24 at 14:07.

vCash
    If a mod could change the title to Hoiles would be good. Bloody spell check.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If a mod could change the title to Hoiles would be good. Bloody spell check.
    nah,you were right the first time

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorted

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Hahaha! Fixed

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Hahaha! Fixed
    For comedic effect of course

I thought it was overall a pretty good interview.
    To be fair to Hoiles, as he often does get a pretty harsh rap (particularly on TWF), I think it is unfair to say he knows f*** all etc.
    He clearly is a deep thinker on the Code, has the background to speak on both versions and is entrenched in the Shute Shield framework and culture.
    Yes, he has an obvious bias to what he is familiar with and his own community, but don't we all?
    This segment confirms to me that, while there is often things I disagree with, he doesn't just throw things out there without consideration and is what he believes will improve the Australian Rugby he knows.
    He maintains a blindspot re players numbers suitable for Super Rugby as, while he acknowledges increased Overseas competition for players here, he doesn't tell Bouris the full extent (+150).
    He also seems to genuinely believe that the best players will be retained in the four remaining Squads, which is proving to be flawed as predicted by others.
    Fundamentally, the whole scenario is "chicken and the egg" (probably a more apt industry/analysis term out there) in a downward spiral that now, regardless of the other poultry players, requires a serious injection of nest egg aka funding &/or post career opportunities to keep the developed talent in Australia to raise the standard and get onto European, Japanese and American televisions.
    If you could inject 90's/2000's Australian Super Rugby content onto those markets with todays technologies it would be going gangbusters.
    The alternatives he puts up for structure are thought out and based on his own experiences, giving credibility for consideration.
    I may or may not agree with him on certain things, but an increased respect for his "Rugby brain".

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Agreed. While I was not previously a "hater", I did find some of his work on Stan irritating. That interview shed a more positive light for me too. Why I decided to mention it.
    I've watched a few of those pods lately. Another one I found enlightening was with Peter V'Landys. It revealed what makes him tick, why he does the jobs he does, how he handles his staff and runs a tight financial ship. I always thought he was a top operator & I now have a lot respect for the bloke.
    Bouris seems to have the knack of getting people to reveal stuff they ordinarily wouldn't. The only thing confusing to me is how a bloke who attended the same Bankstown college as I did - and many Bulldog champions as well, ends up on the board of the bloody Chooks. Bastard!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!