Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wallabies squad CONFIRMED: Beale's back and 13 new boys including Cale, ex-All Black

Champion
    vCash
    And rang the players who weren’t picked! For the first time in my life I’m hoping England beat Japan by a load!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    And rang the players who weren’t picked! For the first time in my life I’m hoping England beat Japan by a load!
    It would take a lot more than that for me

In the name of balance, would recommend listening (don't need to watch it as it is just the two of them wandering around the streets of a park) to the Rugby Pass interview of Eddie just released.
    People are very aggressive in their condemnation of him, but I believe in many ways he was "damned if you do, damned if you don't" given the lack of support and funds potentially promised to him.
    In the interview he is open to admitting he didn't get it all right, particularly in reading the media in Australia v his previous experiences in England, but he also makes some pretty valid points on the state of the Code he walked into.
    He also reflects on different ways of handling players (Old School Springboks still effective v England/Australia more "modern" approaches)
    I think a better judgement of his true purported negative impact will be better made after the next RWC.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread... (If any replies I'll make a new thread of it)
    As you were!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    What a refreshing interview to watch Joe Schmidt talk about the team and the selections on Stan in "First Squad".

He talks about the selections, the process to find a captain, and that the team needs to be hard working so that they can win the fans back.

No spin, talks humbly, and just like Cron wants to work with the players to make them better. It was all about "we" and not "I".

Went up another notch in my humble opinion.
    Yeah, he was very good, I am tempering my expectations for the next couple of games but so far I think the Wallabies are in very good hands.

Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    'KB's shown class & resilience' - White hails Force's Wallabies call-ups

Fri, Jun 21, 2024, 3:53 PM
    Ben Somerford

Western Force vice-captain Nic White is ecstatic to be part of Joe Schmidt’s maiden Wallabies squad, plus that enthusiasm flowed on for his selected Club teammates.

Scrum-half White was joined by Force quartet Kurtley Beale, Ben Donaldson, Hamish Stewart and Jeremy Williams in the 38-member Australia squad for Tests against Wales and Georgia next month.

White said the five call-ups were “unreal”, while on a personal level he was delighted to get another opportunity in the green and gold.

“You never take them for granted, this one more than ever,” said White, who was named alongside scrum-halves Tate McDermott and Jake Gordon.

“New coach, certainly getting a little bit longer in the tooth, to hear your name called out it’s a great feeling. To be in a squad to represent your country is why we play the game.

“There’s a lot of hard work still to be done but got my foot in the door and excited to get into camp.”

The group will assemble in Brisbane on Sunday ahead of the first Test in Sydney on Saturday 6 July against Wales.

White is no stranger to the international scene with 63 international caps to his name, but for Stewart and Williams it’s their maiden call-ups.

“Jeremy, our fearless leader. He’s had an incredible season, and when he plays we’re a very different side,” White said.

“His physicality, his athleticism, you see him belt blokes and then you see him in space out on the wings. He’s just an exciting player. You forget how young he is. He’ll get a taste of what it’s like and certainly will go to another level as well.

“For Hamish, it’s just a reward for some seriously consistent performances this year. He’s a 100-capper now in Super Rugby. He’ll go in there pretty seamlessly. I think Hamish will take it in his stride. He’s certainly well and truly ready.

“It’s reward for someone who was so consistent this year. He plays above his weight, and he’ll continue to do that.”

White has plenty of international experience alongside 95-cap utility back Kurtley Beale, who joined the Force midway through the 2024 Super Rugby season.

“He’s shown his class and his resilience,” White said about Beale. “He’s come back and it was like he’d spent no time away. He slipped straight back in.

“Everyone here at the Force knew how valuable he was when he came in, with his voice, with his experience, with his experience. You can’t coach experience, so to have a guy of that experience around a few of these younger boys, it’s helping them a lot.

White was also excited about the prospect of potentially linking up with club-mate Ben Donaldson as the Wallabies’ half-backs.

“He came into some crazy good form this year,” White said. “Just great to see that get rewarded.

“It’ll be good to link up with my mate Dono and would love to continue that into the gold jersey. First and foremost we’ll get in there and continue to work hard.

“He was good this year and it’s good to see him rewarded. Hopefully he kicks on. It’s exciting, it feels just like the start for the boys over here.”

Williams: Force quintet's Wallabies selection shows what we're building

Fri, Jun 21, 2024, 2:56 PM
    Ben Somerford

Jeremy Williams says having five Western Force players called into Joe Schmidt’s maiden Wallabies squad is a sign of the work within the programme over the past few years.

Force captain Williams, 23, was joined by Kurtley Beale, Ben Donaldson, Hamish Stewart and Nic White in earning call-ups for the Australia camp ahead of Tests against Wales and Georgia next month.

The Force may have missed the Super Rugby finals, but Williams said the selections were recognition of the emerging programme.

“It’s awesome to see a number of Force players in there,” Williams told reporters in Sydney.

“It probably just goes to show the building that we’ve done in the last couple of years. I see that just growing ever more.”

For Williams, it was his maiden Australia call-up, which he enjoyed alongside his mum having spent the past fortnight in his native Sydney training with the wider Wallabies training squad.

“I was sitting at home with my mum this morning and got the call from Thommo (Wallabies team manager Chris Thomson),” Williams said.

“Yeah, I was super excited, super pumped. My mum was jumping around at home, so I had to tell her to calm down a little bit while I was on the phone. Super exciting.”

Williams’ maiden call-up comes less than six months after being named Force skipper, having moved to Perth from the NSW Waratahs ahead of the 2023 Super Rugby Pacific season.

Since the switch west, Williams has played 24 times for the Force, emerging as a key lineout option and a versatile on-ball threat.

“It’s been pretty cool,” Williams said about his journey so far.

“Going over to the west, I’ve loved every minute of it. We’ve got a great coaching staff over there and a great bunch of men. I’ve really enjoyed my time over there.”

Williams has mostly played at lock for the Force but was used in the back row at six late in the season.

When asked about his likely Wallabies position under Schmidt, he said: “I’m not too sure. Either or.

“I’ll be stoked just to make my debut and get out there.”

Extended interviews on the Site- https://westernforce.rugby/news/nic-...layers-2024621

Last edited by Burgs; 22-06-24 at 13:08.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    While quite possible White and Donaldson will get starts, I am a believer in pre-existing connections too.
    As such, I can see big merit in a-
    19/20. Williamson
    21. White
    22. Donaldson
    23. Stewart/Beale
    ... type Bench. Personally believe 16. Horton could and definitely 20. Tizzano should be in that unit on the Bench.
    To be able to bring a cohesive pre-existing unit on around the 60 would have a huge advantage, while they all have the capacity to be 75 minute Subs.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Humbled" Beale ready to tackle third chapter in Wallaby gold

Mon, Jun 24, 2024, 2:15 PM
    Lachlan Grey

Kurtley Beale is in line to become Australia's 14th Test centurion but the 95-cap Wallaby's under no illusions about the challenge ahead.

Beale's inclusion in Joe Schmidt's inaugural Wallaby squad last week completed a remarkable comeback both on and off the field with the utility back's last Test appearance coming against Wales during the 2021 Spring Tour

A short stint with Randwick in Sydney's Shute Shield this year preceded Beale's mid-season signing with the Western Force, where he started seven games at fullback to round out the 2024 Super Rugby Pacific season.

Speaking from the Wallabies' Brisbane camp, Beale told media he was "humbled" to receive the call-up.

"I was actually out at the park with my little fella. It's always an anxious wait to see if you're selected or not, so once the email came through, there was a lot of excitement," Beale said.

"There a lot of things I still want to achieve in the game and that's first being a good teammate and pushing the group back to the top where we deserve to be.

"I know there's a lot of hard work to be done so first things first is making sure we're putting our best foot forward at training."

Beale's third coming in Wallaby gold could be just as impactful off the field as on it with Australia's playmaking stocks of Noah Lolesio, Ben Donaldson and Tom Lynagh boasting just 25 combined Test caps.

A mentor role in running Australia's cutter looms likely but Beale says he's not just there to make up the numbers.

"If the fire wasn't in the belly, I wouldn't be sitting here. If I didn't think I could add anything, it'd be a different story, but having time away and having that experience under my belt allows me to come back and put my best foot forward for the group," Beale said.

The Wallabies played out a classic match with New Zealand tonight and wore the Indigenous jersey for the first time. It was a historic occasion and one not lost on Kurtley Beale who made the most of the opportunity to represent his people.
    "I guess being that older guy in the group now, sharing those experiences is really important in driving the team in the right direction.

"I'm really glad to be back and keen to add my influence on the group, especially with a young crew who bring a lot of enthusiasm and are eager to learn.

"Individually I'll be pushing myself to be ready for any position or whatever opportunity that comes but then just (being) that soundboard for the young playmakers in the group or anyone in the group."

Teammate James Slipper joked Beale's inclusion saw him take the mantle of Australia's oldest squad member but said he wasn't surprised by the news.

"I was more proud to be honest," Slipper said.

The Stan Sport crew discussed the potential impact of new Western Force signing Kurtley Beale, noting his Wallabies ambitions.
    "KB's a player I've played most of my career with. It's his experience, the way he's come back from a bit of adversity and the way he's gone about his business … he'll add a lot of value to the group.

"When you walk into a room, KB's voice is probably the one you're going to hear first. I wouldn't say he's the loudest but he speaks with a lot of ownership … and he's putting himself first and got himself ready."

The Wallabies hit the ground running on Tuesday with their maiden session under Schmidt, who has just 12 days to prepare Australia for their opening July series Test against Wales in Sydney.

"He's been great, the way he talks about certain aspects of the game, especially around the attacking ruck is simple but emphasises the importance of that work and allowing us to play the way we want to play," Beale said of Schmidt.

"He's honest, tells you how it is and a lot of guys were able to pick that up and move forward."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Slipper cleared to return as legendary prop eyes off Wallabies cap record

Mon, Jun 24, 2024, 4:07 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Wallabies prop James Slipper has shrugged off any concerns around his calf injury as he begins his quest to break the record as the most-capped Wallaby.

Slipper missed the end of the Super Rugby Pacific season with the strain picked up during the round 14 clash with the Rebels.

The former Wallabies captain was originally named to return for the semi-final against the Blues, only to withdraw last minute with an eye towards the next six months.

"The calf is going well, I ran pretty well at the end of last week" Slipper said to reporters.

"It was disappointing not to play for the Brumbies in that semi-final, but at the end of the day, it was probably the right call not to play.

"I'm confident it's at a point where I can push it."

The fitness of Slipper will take extra significance this year as record watch begins for the veteran prop - just five Tests behind George Gregan's 139 appearances as most capped Wallaby.

If he plays every game this year, it will see Slipper tie the record in Perth against South Africa, the place where he debuted, and break the record against Argentina.

Slipper has already indicated he has another goal circulated in the form of the British and Irish Lions tour in 2025.

However, his focus remained on cherishing each moment he gets in the gold jersey, a message amplified with returning teammate and fellow 35-year-old Kurtley Beale sitting next to him.

"(The Lions) might have been circled on the calendar but you never know when your last game is going happen," Slipper said.

"That's what special about is you don't know. I'm not guaranteed to play next week or another game so you get given the opportunity.

"To hit the milestone would be great and when I get there, I'll probably think about it more but you've still got to get there. I'll take it week-by-weel and see what happens."

Earlier in the year, James Slipper broke the Australian Super Rugby Cap record.
    Slipper is one of a small group of Wallabies left from last year's World Cup, which saw next week's opponents Wales register a thumping 40-6 defeat in Lyon.

The focus remains on the future under new staff and head coach Joe Schmidt, however, Slipper admits there's fuel to fix last year's woes.

"This group has made a point that we're going to look forward but have an understanding of what's happened in the past as well," Slipper explained.

"Last year was disappointing. Everyone knows that and the whole country knows that. The Welsh have also had a tough Six Nations so they're a team that's been pretty consistent with their selection so yes, they got the wood over us big time last year and we're expecting a pretty physical game here.

"We don't want to look too far back. There's a new coaching staff, new players in the squad...it was a disappointing result from last year and one we want to fix."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Two Cents Rugby thoughts on the Wallabies squad

Exile
    Port Macquarie

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2