Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Force to sign Elsom, Valentine

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I can forsee a future where these teams would arrange things such as exhibition matches in Asia or whatever or even set up a provincial competition during international season which would bring about a conflict...I mean, the owners would be rich as they identify new areas to grow into well. I doubt they will set back and let the ARU have it's way....the problems with the clubs and RFU could be repeated...
    And O'Neill's grand vision (aka having his cake and eating it) involves a 26 week S14 and midweek Tests against touring sides in June.

Personally, I am against private ownership of the sides unless they are somehow also going to be made responsible for the grass roots. The professional teams are the only source of income to support the amateur game - why would you give that away?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Personally, I am against private ownership of the sides unless they are somehow also going to be made responsible for the grass roots. The professional teams are the only source of income to support the amateur game - why would you give that away?
    Well I think I mentioned it elsewhere but if private ownership was done with a certain percentage of yearly revenue going to ARU then the ARU will not have the burden of bailing out loss making provinces plus they will essentially get a license fee plus revenue from the clubs successes, which will free them up for investment in other areas of the game, without having to spend much of thier money enticing leagies or giving huge contracts to Super 14 players who probably don't warrant it...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I take it that the $400,000 is per year? If not over 2 years perhaps? Plus potentially another $100,000 in match fees. I hate to say it but he would lose a huge amount of respect from me if he knocked that back for Europe unless he put in a water tight argument that he was doing it for the experience. $400,000 a year is like 8 years salary for a teacher and the boy is only 20. By the age of 30 he'd be a multi-millionare and I'm sure the club (whether thats the Force or the Reds) would assist him in securing a good job after his playing days. Just seems greedy to me to want more than that. I don't think he'll go to Europe though.

Be good to get Valentine on board another experienced scrum-half would set us up great for next year. I'm not that bothered about Elsom. He's an asset but not one we really really need.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wish someone wanted me for $400k at 20!

Wouldnt mind Elsom here either.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    As a fellow zimbabwean Australian i would like to think that Dave is family orientated and they he wont stray too far from the folks, even having him here in Perth and his family in QLD is tough enough for an 18 year old. i cant see him moving halfway across the planet for 6-8 months of the year.
    Believe me its not the money.. well not completely, he still wants the best deal and he would have rejected the ARU offer on a substantial ammount of advice from family & his management.

c'mon Cousie!! make the right choice - stay here in Perth !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2