Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Croft drops retirement bombshell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have my fingers crossed to see/hear an announcement of re-signing Bam Bam pre Hurricanes match
    I believe there is no more important singing in the Squad at this stage.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    all indications seem to point to him staying..

I think the Reds should be more worried about retaining players rather then recruiting others. I would be happy if we didnt sign Pockok but were able to retain Cooper, Shifcofske and Turinui.

I have a bad feeling that wont be the case though.

vCash
    Burgs, why would you wish a Tah loss by the Reds? I thought you liked us

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash

Hunt on for Croft's successor

The Queensland Reds will step up their hunt for boom Western Force flanker David Pocock in the wake of David Croft's shock decision to hang up his boots after the Super 14 season.

The Reds have two homes game left this year - against the mighty Crusaders and arch-enemy the Waratahs - and will farewell a bevy of experienced Wallaby talent when the curtain comes down on May 17.

Along with Croft, Chris Latham (England) and Sam Cordingley (France), the Reds could lose Rodney Blake to a French club, while fullback Clinton Schifcofske and centre Morgan Turinui are still to commit.

Croft, still just 29, surprised everyone yesterday with his move to quit the game a year before his contract expires, citing mental fatigue and a lack of desire as the motivation for his move.

Ironically, his decision comes at a time when he admits he is enjoying his football as much as ever, reflected in some impressive form in the second half of the season.

While the bad news of Croft's departure simply adds to the exodus of experience for the Super 14 battlers, his decision will loosen the purse strings to up the ante in the chase for Western Force teenager Pocock.

The 19-year-old was a schoolmate of Reds playmaker Quade Cooper at rugby stronghold Churchie and has been earning rave reviews for his powerful efforts in the west.

Tasi Luafatu, who replaced Croft for two games mid-season, is the early favourite to step into the number seven jumper but the prized signing of Pocock will be the QRU's main aim.

Queensland has already signed Brumbies twins Saia and Anthony Faingaa, with the former as cover for departing hooker Stephen Moore.

Ben Whitaker, Queensland's high performance director, said the club hadn't made plans to replace Croft given they had factored him in until the end of 2009.

"We weren't going down the track to find a replacement for David Croft. He was signed for 2009 and very much a part of our progress going forward. We'll have to go back to our succession plan - it was one of the first things we put in place - so we'll review that and make sure we get the best replacement possible, whether it be in Australia or overseas," Whitaker said.

He said the loss of so much experience would no doubt sting but backed a squad that shapes as the youngest in the Super 14 to rise to the challenge.

"A lot has been written about Sam (Cordingley) and Chris (Latham) in particular but they haven't played a lot of football in the last two or three years for this place," Whittaker said.

"That could be seen the as reason we haven't done so well. I'd be very confident - particularly with Phil's skills - that we can promote a lot of leadership across the whole group.

"A lot of those young guys have played almost two seasons of Super 14 football. It's time for those guys to stand up and show they've got some experience as well."

Mooney paid tribute to Croft, saying whoever inherited the number seven for Queensland would have giant shoes to fill in the shadow of the 114-game warrior.

"The last couple of weeks in particular is evidence of the fact he's got a lot of great football left in him. But ultimately this decision is what Crofty considers the best one for him," Mooney said.

"As someone who's watched a lot of Queensland rugby in my time, we've spoken at length that when you do pass on the jersey, you want to pass it on in a good state.

"I think whoever next wears that Red number 7 jersey takes over from one of the all-time greats of our club.

"The fact he's never missed a game. He's not the biggest bloke. Mentally, he's unbelievably tough. It's just a great reward for him to go out on his own terms."

The Reds take on Super 14 hotshots the Crusaders on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium. Hardworking forward John Roe will miss another week with a shoulder injury but Berrick Barnes has recovered from a knock to the ribs.

"That could be seen the as reason we haven't done so well. I'd be very confident - particularly with Phil's skills - that we can promote a lot of leadership across the whole group.

"A lot of those young guys have played almost two seasons of Super 14 football. It's time for those guys to stand up and show they've got some experience as well."

Mooney paid tribute to Croft, saying whoever inherited the number seven for Queensland would have giant shoes to fill in the shadow of the 114-game warrior.

"The last couple of weeks in particular is evidence of the fact he's got a lot of great football left in him. But ultimately this decision is what Crofty considers the best one for him," Mooney said.

"As someone who's watched a lot of Queensland rugby in my time, we've spoken at length that when you do pass on the jersey, you want to pass it on in a good state.

"I think whoever next wears that Red number 7 jersey takes over from one of the all-time greats of our club.

"The fact he's never missed a game. He's not the biggest bloke. Mentally, he's unbelievably tough. It's just a great reward for him to go out on his own terms."

The Reds take on Super 14 hotshots the Crusaders on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium. Hardworking forward John Roe will miss another week with a shoulder injury but Berrick Barnes has recovered from a knock to the ribs.

Hunt on for Croft's successor - Union - Sport - BrisbaneTimes

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry Chookster, has always been Qld as number two in all matters statehood for me.
    Must be the outback alliance or some such. Either that or the number of tools in Sydney

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2