Thread: Plucky portugese mauled by kiwis

vCash

Plucky portugese mauled by kiwis

All Blacks resist 'white-line fever'
    LYON, 15 September - New Zealand scored more than 100 points against Portugal but the match was far less of a one-way affair than some predicted.

The Lobos scored a try, conversion, drop goal and penalty in the 108-13 defeat and at times controlled possession for long periods.

However, New Zealand used the match as an opportunity to give many second-tier players a run-out, some out of position, and to focus on skills rather than scores.

To arms

Some of the more erratic All Blacks alterations included centre Isaia Toeava playing wing while Keven Mealamu, normally a hooker, substituted for flanker Jerry Collins in the second half.

Portugal walked on to the pitch with linked arms before lustily singing their national anthem, the chorus of which is "as armas" (to arms). From the kick off a combination of the vocal Portuguese supporters and a diminished All Black side boosted Portugal's performance.

New Zealand, using the match as a dry-run for moves to be used later in the tournament, started the tie lethargically, and had built only a 13-point lead when Portugal fly half Gonçalo Malheiro scored a drop goal in the 20th minute to put his side on the board.

It was the spur the All Blacks needed and they scored eight tries and six conversions to leave the score 52-3 at half time.

In the second half, a raft of substitutions gave the All Blacks fresh energy, while Portugal showed signs of flagging under the continual assault.

New Zealand settled into a rhythm, scoring another eight tries and eight conversions to close the match at 108-13, but only after Portugal had added a much-deserved try, conversion and a penalty.

White-line fever

"They played well. There was lots of support for Portugal. To their credit they never stopped trying and never gave up," said Collins, man of the match and New Zealand captain for the day.

He also confirmed that the team had focused on testing their skills and a new line-up rather than crossing the try line. He said his side had shown discipline in following their game plan.

"You can get white-line fever and ball-hungry and we managed to avoid that," he said.

The Lobos were also satisfied with their performance, and the score. "There are some good points," said full back Pedro Leal. "We scored a try and that's why we are happy. Anyway, we couldn't avoid suffering more than 100 points."

Well done Portugal on scoring a try against the All Blacks, what a thrill...I watched the first half before falling asleep and when they kicked that field goal they were wrapped, i will watch the game tonight to see the try but can only assume the celebrations must have been awesome...Someone is gonna have a great story to tell the grandchildren, thats for sure...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    The looks of absolute joy from Los Lobos after the try was something to see. They were courageous throughout even though outclassed and were still giving it their best when their fitness had run well out.

As long as rugby has moments like that it will never lose it's unique core values. I just hope the bean counters don't take that away from RWC 2011.

vCash
    That try was fantastic!
    I was worried that they would run themselves out before the end of the first half, but they bravely kept on regardless.
    Great stuff It's why I watch this competition.

That, and watching the Wallabies belt the Welsh in Cardiff

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    I thought they did particularly well in the first 20mins. I thought they'd crash and burn after that but they did well It was interesting to note the commentators claiming that NZ's easy run to the finals would actually be a disadvantage for them. They have no opportunity to really practice set pieces and won't be tested until the finals....thought it was a good point

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If "New Zealand used the match....to focus on skills rather than scores" then I believe they "lost".
    The skills on display were very ordinary, even for a second string AB's, for mine.
    Absolutely rapt for Portugal, it was a milestone event in Portuguese and Third Tier Rugby.
    At times it was like a scene out of Gulliver's Travels with the little munchkins swarming over the giants!
    I think it is the only time I have ever applauded a Drop Goal apart for my team!!!
    The passion and self belief pre-match and during the match was inspirational and a timely reminder to all of the honour of representing your country in the World Cup.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    If "New Zealand used the match....to focus on skills rather than scores" then I believe they "lost". The skills on display were very ordinary, even for a second string AB's, for mine.
    And i'm hoping that will be their downfall

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    We gave the loudest cheer when they went over for the try, and that was one of the most passionate singing of a national anthem i've seen.

vCash
    "Passionate", Sage? We thought at least one of them was going to give themselves a hernia! They certainly made sure people heard them singing. Wonderful stuff

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Best moment of the RWC so far for mine, just pipped the Argies victory lap against the French with all their family in tow.

vCash
    I loved when Portugal scored their try...what a great effort!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    All Blacks let standards slip

Jim Kayes in Lyon | September 17, 2007

In the week-long build up to the 108-13 thrashing of Portugal, the All Blacks talked incessantly about getting the basics right.

Do the simple things properly, they said, and the score will look after itself.

The All Blacks notched up their second biggest win and scored 16 tries at Stade de Gerland on Saturday, but they didn't always do the basics very well.

Certainly not as well as they will have to against Scotland on Monday even though the Scots are only average at best, and in the World Cup play-offs.

This was always going to be an awkward game for the All Blacks. As a Test it lacked the tension and uncertainty of South Africa's 36-0 drubbing of England, and even Australia's 32-20 win against Wales.

With 11 changes to the team that beat Italy, and Portugal never going to put any sort of consistent pressure on the All Blacks, it was destined to be a messy game.

But the All Blacks set high standards for themselves and as daft as it might seem to suggest given the lopsided score line, they were too sloppy against a passionate Portugal.

Coach Graham Henry wants the All Blacks to improve each week but they were below the standard set against Italy last week when they produced an almost faultless first quarter to lead 38-0. The All Blacks started with a mistake on Saturday - when Chris Masoe dropped the kick off and the often unforced errors continued throughout the match.

When the All Blacks did do the simple things properly, the gap between the No. 1 team in the world and the No. 22 team was cruelly exposed.

Some of their tries came after just one ruck while others were straight from the kick-off as the All Blacks' pace, power and quick thinking left the Portuguese grasping at thin air and the crowd of 40,729 on its feet.

It was Portugal, however, who got the loudest cheer when the video referee determined reserve prop Rui Cordeiro had scored a try.

If the All Blacks slipped a tad on Saturday night they will be a different beast in Edinburgh as they have shown in the past - and even in the last two weeks - that the better the opposition is the better they play.

Victory against Scotland will see the All Blacks top pool C and play whoever finishes second in pool D - Argentina , France or Ireland. None of that trio is a grave threat.

Of more concerns to the All Blacks are their injuries.

Fullback Mils Muliaina limped off in the seventh minute on Saturday with a minor hamstring tear. He was optimistic he would be fit to play Scotland but the coaches may err on the side of caution.

Reuben Thorne's hamstring may let him play, probably at lock, but lock Keith Robinson's calf remains a problem. It would not surprise if he went home.

Henry has now given everyone bar Thorne and Robinson a game and suggested on Saturday the selectors would have a few headaches when they pick their top side.

Henry's biggest headache is how he gives Chris Jack and Ali Williams a rest if Robinson continues to be the team's resident food bill. Picking the top side is reasonably straight forward.

No. 8 Sione Lauaki, for instance, was untidy at the back of the scrum and surprisingly lacklustre with the ball, especially compared to Rodney So'oialo's non-stop performance against Italy.

Hooker Andrew Hore and Masoe were busy and largely productive, but neither is in the class of Keven Mealamu or Richie McCaw.

And Brendon Leonard showed he is, for now at least, best used off the bench with Byron Kelleher starting at halfback.

Nick Evans played well, showed off his massive punt and finished with 33 points but is not as redundant as this is to say Daniel Carter.

The contested areas are the midfield and wing. Aaron Mauger is in a tight contest with Luke McAlister at second five-eighth, but Conrad Smith's return should cement his centre's spot unless Isaia Toeava can conjure an authoritative performance from somewhere.

Joe Rokocoko showed such pace and poise when he raced in for tries in the third and 11th minutes that he has to be a first choice wing.

The other, for now, is probably Doug Howlett.

Fairfax Media

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.