Players honour heroes with Maori tattoos
(Rugby News Service) Saturday 15 September 2007
By Manuel Elicabe

LYON, 15 September - Playing New Zealand in the IRB Rugby World Cup is a dream come true for players in the Portugal team, including two who have Maori tattoos in honour of their idols.

Portugal, who are making their first appearance at a world cup, have never played New Zealand before. The two teams meet on Saturday in Lyon.

Both Juan Manuel Muré and David Penalva have a distinctive Maori spiral motif tattooed on their thighs.

Second row Penalva, who plays for French club Blagnac, said he had his leg tattooed when he finished playing for Biarritz in 2003. Two years later, he had a similar design tattooed on one of his shoulders.

"I have spent a lot of time with New Zealand Maori rugby players," he said. "When I was playing in Biarritz I learned a lot about the Maori culture and I really like it, so that's why I got the tattoos.

"Tattoos aside, they're the best team in rugby and it's an honour to play them."

Prop Muré, who was born in Argentina, got the Maori tattoo on his right thigh after meeting an Argentine tattoo artist in Lisbon who created the deisgn.

"The All Blacks are my idols," Muré said, explaining why he had opted for a Maori tattoo.

The finished product took five hours to complete and Muré said the final hour was agonising.

I know how that feels, 6 hrs on the back and i still have to finish the colour, another 3hrs worth....I really like these Portugese guys and hope they play reasonably well tonight, good luck fellas...