Thread: Another scare for All Blacks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Another scare for All Blacks

Another scare for All Blacks

Marc Hinton in Marseilles | September 12, 2007

When All Blacks second-rower Chris Jack went down with a shoulder injury at training on Monday the collective intake of breath from coaches Graham Henry and Wayne Smith was practically audible.

Another second-row injury was the last thing the Kiwis needed, even if they could probably play Henry and Smith there and still beat minnows Portugal in their second World Cup pool match in Lyons this weekend.

With Keith Robinson (calf) and Reuben Thorne (hamstring) still struggling with their injuries and confined to light duties on the training field this week, the All Blacks certainly didn't need another second-rower going down as preparations resumed after a day off following the 76-14 victory over Italy.

Already they're reduced to playing Waikato loose forward Sione Lauaki as their back-up second-rower, and the situation is getting so dire it must only be a matter of days before a replacement is seriously contemplated.

The All Blacks camp was playing down Jack's injury, but it didn't look good when the veteran went down clutching his left shoulder after a collision with Sitiveni Sivivatu. He resumed training but later applied an ice pack to the problem area before the session wound up.

Robinson, sidelined for a second week with his calf injury and definitely out of the selection picture for Portugal, underwent separate testing and was involved in several long conversations with medical staff.

Centre Conrad Smith, who has been suffering from a hamstring strain, ran through most of the drills, which should indicate he will be right to run out this weekend, while prop Tony Woodcock - not likely to be required for starting duties against Portugal - also took part in the session.

But Thorne, also recovering from a hamstring strain, took only a minor role in the session and still looked to be hampered by his injury. He was pencilled in to start against Portugal, but it now appears that first-choice locks Ali Williams and Jack will be asked to back up. That is providing Jack's shoulder doesn't flare up overnight.

It's all a delicate situation for Henry and Smith. Their schedule is hardly a demanding one at present, nor the strength of the opposition, but they will not want the injury cloud hovering over such a crucial position when the tournament approaches the business end of things.

Auckland second-rower Troy Flavell is on stand-by back in New Zealand and is considered the favourite to get the call-up should the All Blacks coaches decide reinforcements are needed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Shock! We keep being told - Nothing scares the AB's

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    That reconditioning program seems to have worked well for them

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    i cant believe troy flavell wasnt there in the 1st place!! i thought he had a good super 14 season... guess he will get his chance now?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    He doesn't look too good in this shot, but yes I thought he was worthy of a call up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!