Thread: An amateurs fairytale...

vCash

Smile An amateurs fairytale...

Pedro carves out a place in history
    (Rugby News Service) Tuesday 11 September 2007
    By Manuel Elicabe
    SUR-LIGNON, 11 September - Pedro Carvalho is living the dream after scoring Portugal's first IRB Rugby World Cup try.

The 23-year-old wing received the biggest cheer of the match in his side's 56-10 loss to Scotland on Sunday when he took Duarte Cardoso Pinto's pass and forced his way over the line in the first half - just reward for an accomplished performance by the rugby world cup debutants.

Now Carvalho is beset by interview requests from a thrilled Portuguese media, and has been inundated with congratulatory text messages from friends.

"It is really difficult for me to describe what I am living, but I know that this try is a treasure and I will have it with me for all my life," said Carvalho, whose nickname is 'Kikí'.

Juggling act

Unlike his professional opponents, Carvalho has to juggle his law studies with playing rugby for his university team, Direito Rugby Club. He said: "All of my fellow students have sent me a lot of messages to my mobile since the match ended.

"All of them were about my good job in the field and my try. I appreciate it a lot, because I know that our country is proud of the whole team."

Carvalho was 10 when he started playing rugby with friends, and his childhood idol was New Zealand wing Jonah Lomu. He will come up against a new generation of All Blacks in the biggest match of his career on Saturday, but his new favourite does not feature in their ranks.

"I have another idol - he is Miguel Portela and is in the Portuguese team with me," Carvalho said.

Bring on the All Blacks

Many amateurs will consider themselves in the shop window at the rugby world cup, but Carvalho is philosophical about the prospect of turning pro. "It would be very nice to play as a professional, but I am not desperate on that," he said. "I have to finish my studies, and all my things are in Portugal."

For now, this young man from Lisbon is happy just to be able to play against New Zealand. "It is exciting because we are going to play versus one of the most famous rugby teams in the world. I can't believe that I am going to see the Haka live."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    A great story & why the RWC is so awesome!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    "It is exciting because we are going to play versus one of the most famous rugby teams in the world. I can't believe that I am going to see the Haka live."
    Lots of guys in Portugal carry man-bags so maybe they can give the AB's some tips after the game!!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good on u Carvalho, that's the kind of stories you like to hear about during a RWC!!

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    The article should be kept on file to send to all the jounos who write about the World Cup being a joke and stupid when the All Blacks beat them by 120.

I hate reading all those articles saying it should be cut down in teams because the minnows have no chance. But if you actually talk to the teams they love it. This guy has just got the first try in Portugal World Cup history and is most excited about seeing the Haka. He doesn't care if they lose by 120. As long as the team plays hard they will be happy just to be there.

I can understand cutting down the number of teams if it is about making it financially viable. But please don't cut it down because of uneven matches.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl
    The article should be kept on file to send to all the jounos who write about the World Cup being a joke and stupid when the All Blacks beat them by 120.

I hate reading all those articles saying it should be cut down in teams because the minnows have no chance. But if you actually talk to the teams they love it. This guy has just got the first try in Portugal World Cup history and is most excited about seeing the Haka. He doesn't care if they lose by 120. As long as the team plays hard they will be happy just to be there.

I can understand cutting down the number of teams if it is about making it financially viable. But please don't cut it down because of uneven matches.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    Lots of guys in Portugal carry man-bags so maybe they can give the AB's some tips after the game!!!!!
    Quality

Let the force go in 2009