Thread: Welsh warning to Aussies

vCash

Welsh warning to Aussies

Wallabies handed Welsh warning
    PA Sport
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 08:11 AM (AEST)

Tom Shanklin has backed Wales to hit Australia with Grand Slam style in Saturday's pivotal World Cup clash after the 'glory days' of 2005 were rekindled in the final romp to victory over Canada.

Wales had been on the ropes at 17-9 down but took advantage of a tiring Canada side to surge ahead with five tries in an electric display of attacking rugby.

Stephen Jones and Gareth Thomas were credited with changing the game after being introduced off the bench but Shanklin was arguably the stand-out player as Wales attacked from all areas in a great throwback to the manner in which the 2005 Six Nations was won.

The challenge now is to reproduce that for longer than just half an hour - and against two-time world champion Australia.

"We did play well in that second half on Saturday," said Shanklin.

"It was like a switch had been flicked and we were back to the good old days of free-flowing rugby."

"After 60 minutes they were pretty tired, we played a bit wider and the holes opened up. We were more clinical, we were making breaks and capitalising on them to score tries."

"We played in that period how we want to play and it suits us and that is the way to go now."

"Our attack is getting better all the time. It would be nice to have 20 minutes like that against Australia."

Shanklin believes it would not be out of place for Wales to be considered favourites against Australia.

On the back of just five wins in 17 Tests, that could be considered an outlandish comment but the Cardiff centre thought long and hard about it.

While the Wallabies opened their campaign with a 91-3 rout of a second-string Japan side, Shanklin feels Wales' tough outing against Canada will have done them some good.

And with a good recent record against Australia at the Millennium Stadium, home advantage could be key.

"In my opinion, I would say Wales are favourites because we know we can beat the likes of Australia," said Shanklin.

"They have had a Tri-Nations series and a good start to the World Cup."

"But we've won one and drawn one against Australia in Cardiff in the last couple of years and that is a confidence boost going into this game - knowing what we can do against them."

"You can't read much into their game but I think we needed a tough test. Canada gave us a real good run. They often take a long time to break down and that is what happened."

The stunning performances from Jones and Thomas have left the Wales coaching staff with a difficult selection meeting tomorrow.

Thomas played at inside centre during the August Tests, but should he return as a full-back?

Jones, who had come close to missing the World Cup with injury, seems nailed on to start at fly-half but does that mean James Hook moves to inside centre?

"There are a lot of issues," said Shanklin.

"Stephen was mad up for it against Canada. That was his first game after a big injury and he wanted to prove a point."

"He had missed out on the warm-up games then it was a case of 'where does he fit in at the World Cup?'."

"So to come on and play like that in his first game was fantastic - he controlled it and played brilliantly."

"James is also a quality player and he weathered the storm."

"Where do they all fit in? That is a job for the coach."

"Whether it's James or Steve at No.10, they have both got the same style of thinking and they want to play the game in the same way."

IMHO i reckon the Australians played a really well structured game from start to finish, the welsh only kicked in in the latter stages when fitness started to play apart, unlike the Aussies who excelled towards the end of thier match but played consistently the whole game....I would acknowledge the warning, but cannot see the welsh lads getting over us...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "In my opinion, I would say Wales are favourites because we know we can beat the likes of Australia," said Shanklin.

"They have had a Tri-Nations series and a good start to the World Cup."

"But we've won one and drawn one against Australia in Cardiff in the last couple of years and that is a confidence boost going into this game - knowing what we can do against them."

I think I'd take current form over historical venue form against a weakened touring side just quietly!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He has a point in saying that thier previous encounters have yielded some good results, but at the moment i believe thier is a significant amount of daylight between the quality of both teams, but i can't wait to see what happens in Cardiff as the Welsh are sure to lift with the brilliant support they are sure to receive...
    Aussies by +9

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I reckon a bigger margin 12+
    Australia's performance against Japan was deceptive. I think they worked a very structured game and even when it blew out they still worked as a team and there was absolutely no individualism as opposed to the SA v Samoa and NZ v Italy games.
    In fact of the three games i rated NZ as the team with the most work to do. Their unforced error rate was shocking, their territory gains were very hapazard. They played like they were at the Hong Kong sevens!

South Africa were far better, but their defence was lacking in the first half, they tightened up well in the second though, but i think that may have been also due to the tiring of the Samoans.

Rookie
    vCash
    There will be more aussies in Cardiff for this considering the stingyness of the welsh counterparts.

We will smash the carnts!!

vCash
    I can't imagine Canada dominating Australia for 60 minutes of any test match, requiring a mad scramble to get some world class fresh legs onto the field. Australia can't afford to take Wales lightly, but should easily take this match given the performances I've seen so far.

Of all the teams in honest contention, Wallabies looked to be the most on-track in their taper.

C'mon the

vCash
    True but i think it will be a very different wales team that faces the wallabies

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."