Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Blacks look the goods

vCash

All Blacks look the goods

All Blacks dominate clash with Italy
    Story by Sportal for the ARU
    Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 23:39 PM (AEST)

Lynn McConnell in Marseille

The All Blacks dominated their opener against Italy.
    New Zealand made a statement of bold World Cup intent with an emphatic opening performance, against Italy, at Marseille's Stade Velodrome to claim a 76-14 victory.

En route to the win, wing Doug Howlett scored three of New Zealand's 11 tries to equal Christian Cullen's record of 46 Test tries.

In stifling conditions better suited to Test cricket at the height of New Zealand's summer, the All Blacks dismembered the Italian side that had threatened to be much more competitive in the lead-up to the tournament.

Revelling in the superb atmosphere of the sun-baked arena, the New Zealanders showed little of the anticipated rustiness after their absence from hard match play.

Signs were on the wall from the outset, not only of the threat likely from the backs in such perfect conditions, but also from the forwards who were massive in their intent and their demonstration of their repertoire of the game's skills.

When lock Ali Williams ran onto ball from the game's first lineout he opened up a gap to feed captain Richie McCaw in for the side's first try of the Cup.

For the second try, the All Blacks secured lineout ball, set themselves efficiently for a lineout maul and then released the ball to halfback Byron Kelleher who raced around the blindside and when tackled slipped the ball into McCaw's grasp for him to burst over the line.

A 10th minute penalty goal to first five-eighths Dan Carter put a temporary stop to the try-scoring parade, but only just.

After the re-start the All Blacks launched a long range assault with wing Sitiveni Sivivatu haring down the left-hand touch and linking, typically on this day of extraordinary feats to link with prop Carl Hayman and No.8 Rodney So'oialo before the ball was moved wide with fullback Leon MacDonald feeding wing Doug Howlett in for his 44th Test try in the 11th minute.

Then two pieces of class from Carter, whose astute chip kicks exploited the rushing Italian defence, saw the bounce of the ball produce tries for centre Mils Muliaina (14th minute) and Sivivatu (17).

Italy slowed the scoring tempo by opting to test the All Blacks lineout close to its line but the defence was better organised and when chunky flanker Mauro Bergamasco chipped a kick ahead, MacDonald marked right on the 22m line.

He tap-kicked and raced right ahead and into acres of unoccupied Marseillan real estate before linking with Williams, who took a Harlem Globetrotters pass before feeding the ball to Sivivatu who powered his way to his second try. For once, Carter's conversion attempt hit the post.

When the Italians kicked to the corner from another penalty, they mounted a drive but the New Zealanders kept forcing them back and then the turnover came with a classic McCaw steal.

Almost inevitably the amount of air the All Blacks were giving the ball resulted in a speculative chance and it came three minutes before halftime when Kelleher's pass from a ruck on halfway was intercepted by wing Marko Stanojevic who scored beneath the posts.

New Zealand was forced onto the back foot in the early stages of the second half, but after nine minutes a lineout move saw lock Chris Jack pick up a bouncing ball and waltz through a huge gap to score beneath the posts.

MacDonald's tidying of a grubber kick through in the 55th minute saw the All Blacks process the ball and when the breaks came, Howlett was on hand to take the pass and hand off his old Auckland Grammar schoolmate Kaine Robertson to score his second.

New Zealand moved its replacements into the action in the early stages of the half. And the ease with which the players slipped into the pattern also impressed.

Howlett achieved his record-equalling moment in 58th minute after some quick thinking from flanker Jerry Collins. The kick was put through to the corner and Howlett secured the ball for the try.

A minute later, Collins was in again after a break by replacement lock Sione Lauaki. Colllins burst onto the ball and slipped a grubber kick through and reclaimed the ball.

Italy scored a moment later when Luke McAlister who had moved in to first five-eighths attempted a banana kick which was taken by replacement Italian halfback Paul Griffen. He fed Stanojevic who ran infield and then a speculator from Mirco Bergamasco saw him score.

Italy thought it had scored moments from the end when Ezio Galon touched down after some in-goal silliness from the All Blacks, however, a lengthy study by the television match official ruled that potential defenders had been held back by the Italians.

New Zealand 76
    Tries: Howlett 3, McCaw 2, Sivivatu 2, Collins 2, Muliaina, Jack
    Con: Carter 7, McAlister 2
    Pen: Carter

Italy 14
    Tries: Stanjevic, Bergamasco
    Con: Bortolussi, de Marigny con

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I was impressed... but not as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

Not sure if they got complacent or got rattled but their second half wasn't overly impressive (well, compared to their first half anyway).

I can see the pressure slowly eating away at them... my choking sense is tingling.

I made Happy sad...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    For me it was an impressive win from a team who didn't really get out of first gear. Unfortunately I don't see any cracks in their armour and they sure as hell have the belief and confidence. It will take a big game to stop them this time! The only thing they will be choking on this RWC will be their laughter when England and France don't even qualify from the first round.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I went to bed after the first half. I felt so sorry for Italy. But I have to say i wasn't all that impressed. I think Gerry made the point elsewhere that they seemed to capitalise on Italy's poor play rather than playing out set pieces. I think its play like that which causes them problems against teams who challenge them, because they're unlikely to make the same sorts of mistakes.

I mean that giant gaping hole in the Italian backline which saw carter and mcalistar dropping kicks into was pretty poor form on the Italian's part. NZ read that beautifully but kept doing it. The Italians should have worked that one out after the first 5 times....or so..

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    did the Italians even turn up????????????????????????????????????

vCash
    Yeah... but I bet they wish they didn't...

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    To many individual stars in the AB's for my liking.

While they did look impressive, they should have ran in 100 points against the italians.

Let the force go in 2009

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramoth
    While they did look impressive, they should have ran in 100 points against the italians.
    and they won't be happy they let the tries in either.

Does anyone have a perfect defensive record so far in RWC???

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    No one has crossed the Wallabies line yet mate....But i bet you already knew that....

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    really....

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Nothin' gets past you mate....

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Im happy to be corrected, but from memory in 1991 I don't think any tries were scored against Australia. At least in the Pool rounds.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    No, Argentina scored two in the first pool game and Ireland scored one in the quarter final.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    1999 was were there was only 1 try scored against the Wallabies....

and that was by..............

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Was it USA?
    at Limmerick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast