Thread: ET Perth Spirit Outmuscle Rays

vCash

ET Perth Spirit Outmuscle Rays

ET Perth Spirit Outmuscle Rays

The ET Perth Spirit have scored their first away victory in the Mazda ARC with a 31-19 win over the Central Coast Rays at Bluetongue Stadium on Sunday afternoon...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Watched the game on ABC2 and thought the encounter dismal. Infact, comparing the two teams I thought the Rays played better generally and simply got done by "ill-discipline" (that is, if you understand the new ruck rule).

The Spirit had alot of possession but didn't demonstrate any tactical nous. I hardly saw any backline moves and when they did try something, it wasn't with conviction and skill (lobbed passes; horizontal running; etc).

They still don't appear to have a handle on the new breakdown rules and seemingly give up possession rather easily (though I must concede that its abit better than the first game). One glaring problem we have is that when a quick tap is passed to a thundering forward who ploughs into two or three, there tends to be no adequate support at the tackle and this gives the opposition easy turnover ball.

I think coaches need to possibly (if they havent already) slow the quick taps right down to a crawl and find moves that would better suit the short penalties (freekicks). I'm not suggesting all short penalties to be slowed but quite possibly a number of them because at the moment we seem to lose alot of valuable ball/territory because of the quick taps.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    didn't get to see the game KQ, but I suspect it wasn't pretty to watch.
    with 2 tries for and 3 against, your always hanging out for luck and penalties.
    Still, glad to get of the bottom. I agree, they still have a lot to improve on and now doubt theyv'e got the goods to make the finals.

vCash
    I agree with this assessment. It was plain ugly. We're getting hammered at the breakdown and it's because our big men are getting lazy and sealing the ball off rather than cleaning out. We're also expecting the breakdown to be contollable for more than a couple of seconds. This just isn't going to happen when everyone can use thier hands, and it's probably symptomatic of a greater issue in the organisation. Force suffered a bit at the breakdown as well, and we need to get a culture of cleaning the area up before we use the ball.

That being said, I thought the tries they scored were pretty lucky, the ref all but tackled browny off the ball for the first one, and Shep's brain exploded for the second.

C'mon the

vCash
    SUMMED IT UP NICELY KQ

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    I think shep may have liked a rather big hole in the ground to appear when that try was scored. I saw the game live on ABC2 (foxtell) and thought it was boring as well. I thought the new rules were to encourage attacking/running rugby??

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am not really able to give a intelligent sum up of the game as I was watching it from the sidelines. And dont have the benefit of various camera angles, replays etc.

Was great of the boys to stop and say gday to us after the match.

Blue Tongue Stadium has got to be the blueprint that we use for an example of an ideal stadium Yes our needs are for something slightly bigger, but its a great little stadium and the City of Gosford should be proud of it.

Full Strength beer available on tap, and mid strength bourbons for those that are that way included. No Bundy :thumbsdown: and the Central Coast League-ies right across the road and the Train station the other side of the stadium.

It was great to see Sage have some friendly banter with a couple of 12 years and someone who is gets free parking out front of the shopping centres. Sage one won and scored a points decision on the other. Was great to catch up with Shasta and JamesBrown.

Looking forward to the next Sydney based game of the Spirit at Parramatta in 3 weeks.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    About time they won an away game
    Good to see you and the other TWfers had a good day Exile

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    It was great to see Sage have some friendly banter with a couple of 12 years and someone who is gets free parking out front of the shopping centres. Sage one won and scored a points decision on the other.
    Well I have to choose my intelectual battles wisely, but that day it didn't matter who it was, 6 year olds all the way up to 12.. I verbally beat them down.

One guy kept yelling out what a boring game it was, and how it's supposed to be running rugby, so I kept calling him Growden... Made the ABC guys laugh at least.

Can't remember what else I said, it was all gold though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    One guy kept yelling out what a boring game it was, and how it's supposed to be running rugby, so I kept calling him Growden... Made the ABC guys laugh at least.
    Can't remember what else I said, it was all gold though...
    Hehe.

Just watched the replay. Unfortunately the ABC were showing replays of it at the time, so our "advice" to Mr Goddard about the legality of Two Dads shoulder charge or as Pappy called it " a good shoulder hit" was not part of the telecast

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I thought they looked more like running head butts