Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Here we go again...

Here we go again, new minion, same paper, same lack of quoted sources, same vendetta...

Force's $300,000 hidden payments

Gerard Ryle
    Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Western Force made secret payments of more than $300,000 during 2006 to players in direct contravention of Australian Rugby Union protocols.

(That is a statement of supposed fact, I hope you are ready for a law suit Gerard?)

The money was hidden in the Super 14 club's annual accounts and did not appear as "player payments", even though it was was paid to three Wallabies on the Force's books.

The Herald understands that Nathan Sharpe, Scott Fava, Cameron Shepherd and former player Chris O'Young, who has moved to Glasgow Warriors, all received the payments, with Sharpe's payment a six-figure sum. There is no suggestion the players knew about any potential breach.

The club and some of its officials have repeatedly denied making these payments and actively sought to hide their actions, the Herald has learned.

Under the protocols, no state union is to be involved in facilitating, procuring or arranging third-party deals as an inducement to sign any player without ARU approval.

But the secret arrangements date back to the formation of the club, when it was desperate to recruit top-line players.

During early 2005 the Force recruited several players and guaranteed to find them paid employment, and even outlined the amount the players would receive.

The club then went further and guaranteed to pay these players the amounts if the employment fell through, which is what occurred.

Under the protocols, teams are generally only allowed to pay players $110,000 a year, in addition to a set of agreed extras such as cars and housing allowances. International players also receive additional wages from the ARU.

The Herald understands that the secret payments are not shown within the Force's "player costs" for 2006, as reported in their annual financial statements, but are hidden within another part of their profit and loss statement. These accounts were provided to other clubs, but until now no one realised the significance.

The Western Force's aggressive policy of attracting star players has long drawn suspicion from the ARU and other Super 14 clubs. It has been central to the team's rapid improvement. The club rose from wooden spooners last year to the second most successful Australian team this season.

The payments have also had an effect at the Western Force, where several employees have been made redundant during the past 12 months as the club struggles to find a foothold in AFL-obsessed Perth.

The latest revelations are expected to escalate an ARU inquiry into player contract negotiations involving the Western Force that began in June.

That inquiry followed the publication in the Herald of a copy of an employment offer prepared for Waratahs forward Al Kanaar that showed potential third-party arrangements. Kanaar was to be paid $30,000 a year to become an "environmental advisor" for one of four companies.

One of the companies was a Force sponsor, the controversial Perth-based fuel technology company Firepower. The other three are stock market-listed entities - Woodside Petroleum, BHP and Rio Tinto.

Western Force chairman Geoff Stooke said yesterday he would not "confirm or otherwise" the existence of the payments. "I don't know who your source is and I am not prepared to comment on it."

The club responded yesterday to a set of written questions by stating: "Players salaries are a confidential matter which we are not prepared to discuss. As you have misrepresented us previously, we having nothing further to add."

Stooke told the Herald earlier this year that the Western Force was not involved in underwriting third-party deals to lure players to Perth.

The side payments at the Force are likely to be examined during a broad review the Australian Taxation Office is undertaking of all Super 14 clubs and the earnings of other sportspersons.

Club officials have had to provide information about all benefits to managers, players and their relatives in relation to tickets, vehicles, housing, loan agreements or prepaid salary deals, family travel, player awards and payments to relatives or parties associated with the player.

Cash payments have had to be declared, as well as any post-career payments as part of a player's current salary, player fines and player management fees.

gryle@smh.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He obviously believes in the old adage, "throw enough mud and some is sure to stick"....Actually, i believe that to be the SMH motto....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    SMH throw pies not mud, most of em dont make it past gowden who applies the inside sauce's and masticates the poor things to death!!

but same ol' same ol' - give it up!!

<>

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I'll now sit back and Wait for O'Neil to come out in support of one his premier clubs ?
    We have been repeatedly told that ALL player contracts comply with ARU rules. Only the Al Kaneer offer fell short, as it occured in the wrong time frame.
    Lets see if O;Neil has the cahoonas to support teams - or if he'll meekly fall into line with Syd power camps.

vCash
    It's articles like this that make me want to finish my law degree so I can sue the pants off these people... *sigh*

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Here we go again, new minion, same paper, same lack of quoted sources, same vendetta...
    Well not quite. This is the bloke who has been on Firepower's trail since the off.
    He's an accomplished investigative journo who has won 4 Walkley awards.

When the linkages to top-up sponsorships of EWF players broke he co-wrote the articles with Jacqueline Magnay, a long time League journo.

When you read his profile........

http://www.smh.com.au/news/investiga...917697002.html

and see how he got his first sniff of the story

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow...07/1873604.htm

you can't help but wonder whether this smoke leads to a fire

vCash
    yeah smoke comes from fire,
    followed this up a little and found the following

Firepower releases initial fuel pill tests: results indicate increased fuel efficiency.

http://www.firepowergroup.com/defaul...&NewsItem=True

and this,

NSW Supreme Court will hear Firepower defamation case

http://www.firepowergroup.com/defaul...&NewsItem=True

"The NSW Supreme Court has given the green light for a jury to hear a defamation case brought by Firepower Chairman Tim Johnston and CEO John Finnin against the Sydney Morning Herald."

“It seems the Herald wants to have its cake and eat it,” said CEO John Finnin. “In the articles they are saying the fuel pill is a sham product, but in court they propose to argue they weren’t saying that.

it wasnt them it was the un-named sauces like a bottle of big red with no label

<>

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    It's articles like this that make me want to finish my law degree so I can sue the pants off these people... *sigh*
    Jehna, with thoughts like that it's obvious you are not that far into your studies...

Let me give you the tip, the money lies in acting FOR these people!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusher
    yeah smoke comes from fire,
    followed this up a little and found the following
    Both those are from the Firepower website and written by the spin doctors they have hired. I hope everything is "above board" with Firepower, for the sake of RugbyWA. But I've got an uneasy feeling about the whole thing. I said here the first time this was in the news..

" I think it's possible The Force and O'Meara may have been dragged into this more as "collateral damage" than the prime target. I recall the SMH has been trying to get some dirt on Firepower for a fair period of time. Their take on the company seems to be that there has been a lot of money invested and a large share of that doled out on sponsorships in S14, NRL, AFL and overseas with very limited earnings or evidence about the much mooted green technology."

here...... http://thewholeforce.com/showthread....lateral+damage

Maybe this one isn't down to the "usual suspects" at the SMH/Rugbyheaven. Time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Jehna, with thoughts like that it's obvious you are not that far into your studies...

Let me give you the tip, the money lies in acting FOR these people!

Lol...oh no don't worry...at 4 and a half years in i'm well aware that i'm in the wrong field! I'm trying to maintain my idealism... I don't actually want to be a blood sucking scum bag lawyer...

I'm not completely stupid though. I'm quietly working away on my back up plan to be a trophy wife. I feel plan A is likely to see me beaten up on a street corner somewhere...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    "...as the club struggles to find a foothold in AFL-obsessed Perth."

Reeeeeally struggling. What are our average crowd figures, again?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Its the SMH............grain of salt

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    I don't actually want to be a blood sucking scum bag lawyer...
    What you trying to say about FS?

Trophy wife huh...well how about trying out for our cheerleader squad and if succesful it's a sure fire way of getting noticed by the big name players.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

You calling yourself a big name player TEF!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If ya can't beat them, sink them...

Watchdog for third-party deals

by Peter Jenkins
    August 17, 2007

THE AUSTRALIAN Rugby Union will appoint a full-time financial watchdog to police payments to Super 14 players and crack down on any illegal third-party deals.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill flagged the prospect yesterday as Western Force came under scrutiny for allegedly breaching the player contracting protocols by making secret payments of $300,000 to four players last year.

The Force allegedly made the payments to key signings recruited from eastern seaboard rivals in a move that, if proven, will lead to heavy financial sanctions.

The allegation aimed at the Force is that the organisation agreed to find employment for four players, including World Cup second-rower Nathan Sharpe, and also agreed to underwrite the amounts outlined.

The jobs supposedly did not eventuate and the Force made payments to Sharpe, fellow Wallabies Cameron Shepherd and Scott Fava, and former halfback Chris O'Young.

Super 14 franchises are prohibited from facilitating, procuring or arranging third-party contracts without the approval of the ARU and the Force have continually denied that they lured any players with non-declared arrangements.

There is no suggestion the players were aware of any potential breach.

A check of the WA Rugby website yesterday showed its 2006 annual report has not yet been posted while the 2005 annual report was online, but with the financial report removed.

A high-ranking official from another franchise said last night:

"If these payments claims are right, they need to be dealt with very severely. Players move provinces because of this sort of thing and the impact on the club that player leaves can be dramatic."

O'Neill said the potential fallout from ongoing speculation about under-the-table payments in the game was to hire an overseer along the lines of the NRL's salary cap policeman, Ian Schubert.

"We're in the middle of conducting a complete review of the player contracting system," O'Neill said. "It includes looking at player payments and compliance, and one position that might come out of it is a role similar to the one Ian Schubert holds at the NRL."

O'Neill met ARU chairman Peter McGrath in Sydney last night to discuss the latest controversy.

McGrath said they were always intending to "catch up" ahead of tomorrow's ARU board meeting where the Force drama will be on the agenda, along with an update on the contracting protocol review which has been running for several months.

"If what has been reported is accurate, it's disturbing and we'll be looking at it," McGrath said.

"Our contracting protocols are absolutely essential, as they are in every professional sport. We've all got to live by the rules, because there's anarchy if we don't."

McGrath refused to speculate on the possible sanctions for the Force if they are found to have made non-sanctioned third-party payments.

"I'm not prepared to talk about hypotheticals." he said.

"But what I do know is if we have a set of rules and people don't follow them, that is not in the best interests of anyone."

Queensland Rugby Union chairman Peter Lewis this year called for a summit meeting of the ARU and the leading officials from the four Super 14 franchises to discuss the player contracting system. That meeting will take place on August 31.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast