Thread: Opinion: Macqueen rates ELVs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Opinion: Macqueen rates ELVs

Opinion: Macqueen rates ELVs

August 20, 2007 - 2:34am
    Story by: Sportal

Former Wallabies coach and member of the IRB's ELV group, Rod Macqueen, offers his appraisal of the experimental rules following the first few matches of the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship.

The Mazda ARC has seen the IRB's Experimental Law Variations (ELV's) tested at their highest level of competition to date.

It is important to remember that these trials form part of a lengthy process that has been underway now for about two years and we are still very much in the experimental stage.

There were certainly some encouraging signs from the weekend's games but it is early days and this is all part of a rigorous process designed to let us assess what is working and what is not.

Understandably it's going to take a little while for referees and players to adapt to playing all of these laws, but considering some of those players who played over the weekend had not played any of the experimental laws, the results were surprising.

The motivation behind all of this is to try to make the game simpler and more enjoyable for both player and spectator whilst ensuring that we keep the different body shapes and sizes in the game.

That said, scrums and lineouts must maintain the same level of importance as under current laws.

Fundamentally, rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes and it must be a contest for possession. Detailed statistical analysis will be conducted and compiled later this month to allow the ELV Committee to evaluate what has happened and what develops throughout the Mazda ARC.

As it stands at the moment, the ELV committee will meet with the IRB later this year to formally recommend which experimental laws they believe should be put forward.

There is no doubt there are some positive signs at the moment but we must remember this is a process that has some way to go before informed assessments can be made.

New laws let brilliant Beale run riot

Rupert Guinness
    Monday, August 20, 2007

It says something about the impact of the new laws on trial in the ARC that 18-year-old Kurtley Beale lamented he felt "old" after a blinding 80-minute performance on Saturday.

Beale's man-of-the-match showing for the Western Sydney Rams, who defeated the Central Coast Rays 39-30 at Bluetongue Stadium, was by no means the only example of all that so far appears so good about ARC rugby.

In a weekend that saw 26 tries scored in four games - and the Melbourne Rebels remain the only undefeated side after two rounds with their 34-24 win over the East Coast Aces - the running play and minimal stoppages that the International Rugby Board's experimental law variations are looking for were there for all to see.

Beale's game was as fine an example as you would have found in this second round. He scored two of the Rams' five tries, played a role in most of their other five-pointers and defended solidly.

It was a performance that, despite the argument that Beale is not yet ready for the Wallabies, left one wondering: what if he had been pencilled in for later use at the World Cup next month?

Beale's two tries could not have been more different. The first, in the eighth minute, was from a chip and chase five metres out that saw him beat the defender and score under the posts and put the Rams 7-3 in front when converted.

The second, after 63 minutes when the Rams were down 29-30, saw Beale sprint wide to the left-hand corner where he twisted his body to stay in play and ground the ball over the try line, putting the Rams 36-30 ahead.

However, even Beale - who loves nothing more than free-flowing, running rugby - admitted afterwards the law changes had left him out on his feet.

"It is a lot faster," he said. "I was really feeling that in the last 10-15 minutes. [When] you have not played a game for a couple of months and to come back to a real high-intensity game, I feel like my body is getting old."

Beale played for the Rams against the Perth Spirit in round one, but he did so off the back of only one training run having taken time off when his grandfather, Raymond, died from a long illness two weeks ago.

Saturday's clash was Beale's first real chance to measure himself within the confines of the new laws. And he loved it, starting at five-eighth then moving to fullback and featuring in midfield and wide play.

"This is like playing in the park ... a lot of running," he said. "Most of the time we have the ball in our hands. There are not many stoppages. It's really good for us skill-wise and hopefully next year in Super 14 the contracted players will be able to benefit from this game to get their skills up on track."

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie was impressed with how Beale adapted to varying roles for the Rams, saying: "They used him in different ways - as a wide-running playmaker [then] swapped him back to full-back.

"He spotted some good opportunities and then there were also some great trademark plays by him."

As for the laws? As much as the players revelled - then fell to their feet in exhaustion thanks to them - and spectators were treated to non-stop entertainment, few dared to claim that they have a full grasp of them.

"I think we are all adapting. I don't think anyone can say they know everything about the rules," Rams coach Brian Melrose said. "I don't think I'm smart enough to work out in a couple of weeks what does and doesn't work."

After two rounds, the Rebels are on top of the ladder thanks to an entertaining win over the Aces, who ran Wallaby Chris Latham, in another nine-try bonanza at Olympic Park on Saturday.

In the other games, Canberra Vikings defeated Perth Spirit 17-8 on Friday night and Ballymore Tornadoes beat Sydney Fleet 26-20 in Brisbane yesterday, despite scoring two tries to three.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Connolly cautious on law reform

By Bret Harris
    August 20, 2007

AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly has expressed concern about two of the experimental laws which may be introduced to the game after the World Cup in France.

The so-called Stellenbosch Laws are designed to simplify the game and make it a more entertaining spectacle.

But Connolly was not sure whether the law variations, which would allow collapsing the maul and hands in the ruck, would enhance the game or not.

"I like most of them," Connolly said. "There are two I'd like to look at and need more time to think about. The pulling down of a maul - that would be a safety issue for me. And the other one is hands in the ruck.

"We've got seven or eight weeks to look at these (in the Australian Rugby Championship).

"They are the two, whether they are good or bad. You have to wait and see how coaches react to them and what short-cuts they put in place, especially the hands in the ruck.

"In the long term, it could slow the ball down (but) it may be the best thing in the world. I don't think we can rush into these.

"What we can say is the (ARC) competition has been great and the law changes on the whole have been very positive.

"Whether we get them all through the IRB remains to be seen, but it's a wonderful step in the right direction. It's been great for the game."

One of the aims of the experimental laws is to reduce subjectivity in refereeing decisions. But pile-ups in the ruck with hands all over the ball have the potential to increase subjectivity in referee's calls.

"They are the issues you want to take out of the game," Connolly said. "You want to try to take the referee out of the equation as much as you can. Who's not on their feet? Who's slowing the ball down? They are things that have to be analysed.

"I haven't done that. I'm sure the (Rod) Macqueens and the people in charge of implementing these will do that."

Connolly hailed the ARC competition as "a tremendous plus for Australian rugby", which has allowed the showcasing of players like Kurtley Beale.

"The laws have changed a little bit," Connolly said. "The game has evolved over the last 12 years and it is now very attack focused.

"We went through a period where we played target rugby. Before that we played let's hang on to the ball like unlimited tackle.

"It's evolving all the time. Coaches are working at playing the ball in contact."

Connolly was confident number eights Wycliff Palu (shoulder) and David Lyons (blood clot) would both be fit for the cup, although there was some concern about prop Guy Shepherdson.

"Palu and Lyons we are very happy with," Connolly said. "Guy Shepherdson has a bit of a knock on his knee, which is a bit of a concern for us.

"Hopefully, it will be OK, but they are the three who are carrying injuries to some extent."

The Wallabies will spend four days in camp in Sydney before departing for Portugal on Thursday for another week's training on the Algarve. After a stopover in Paris the Wallabies will arrive at their World Cup base in Montpellier on August 31.

"There is a lot of work to be done behind the scenes by the management in terms of getting things organised," Connolly said. "That takes a day in itself.

"We've got three days of training before we go, which is important. The players have been working very hard behind the scenes.

"Hopefully, that will top it off. When we get to Portugal, the week's camp, hopefully will put some polish on it."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Initially I thought the hands in the ruck change would clear the pill quicker. After Friday night's match I'm more cautious about it. Perhaps the Spirit players are behind the 8-ball, not having played club rugby under the ELV's all year & Maybe the ref has not controlled many matches either. The other areas where Perth were beaten will hopefully come fairly quickly with experience.

vCash
    I thought the same re hands in the ruck rule, and just like Shasta have had some doubts/misgivings about it. Not only did the Vikings "steal" alot of our ball but we seem more content with defending in their attacking rucks rather than competing which gave them alot more quick attacking ball especially in the 1st half (we hardly saw the ball in the first 20-30min).

There also seems to be alot more penalties/free "quicks" from the ruck than with the current standard rules and fans (even those who profess to know most of the rules) don't get a chance to understand whats going on..making the game appear abit helter-skelterish .

Maybe I'm just a tad too conservative (missing the traditional rolling mauls and the carefully orchestrated rucks) and need to change my thinking in line with the changing face of our game.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm with you re brackets in bottom para KQ, it would be a tragedy if the new rules meant no more 20m rolling mauls
    I remember one we did in year ten in the Caltex Cup that literally went for 45m for a try, pure Rugby gold!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I think the laws will prove OK in the end. Spirit just didn't play up to their ability on Friday.
    The hands in the ruck/maul actually formalises what happens in high end rugby.. the number of time I've seen a ball "appear" in the hands of a standing half-back in tests is ridiculous.
    Sprit didn't have enough people at the breakdown to grab the pill first on Friday. Maybe with Henjak back guiding the forwards it will lift next week.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is certainly going to be the most contentious change. The problem I see is that it places an even greater onus on the referee to police playing the ball on the ground. If he doesn't, the breakdown turns into a wrestlefest and the easy out for a weak ref will be lots of shortarm penalties for "unplayable".

Aside from that aspect, it seems to me that an unexpected side effect is a lot more kicking than counterattack (at least it feels that way so far). It is no longer getting isolated that the players have to worry about; now just being outnumbered is potentially disastrous. The higher the level, the better the defence and if the change is adopted I think it will turn the game into an absolute kick frenzy.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A comment from the Saturday telecast was, (from Pappy I think?) "If in doubt, kick it out."
    ie, Give it back to the opposition at a set piece because the odds are better of winning a free down their end with the bonus of free meters gained from the kick.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And wouldn't that make for riveting internationals...didn't a couple of teams get slated last year for a game with lots of kicking?

vCash
    I assume this will all be evaluated in the wash-up...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    The problem I see is that it places an even greater onus on the referee to police playing the ball on the ground. If he doesn't, the breakdown turns into a wrestlefest and the easy out for a weak ref will be lots of shortarm penalties for "unplayable"..
    Yes, I can see where that comes from AndyS, but if the ref polices the "enter through the gate - rigid enforce" as is stipulated (and didn't happen on Friday) thats the point. if your team don't make it playable, free-kick against.

As for a kick fest - hope its tactical kicks behind the line and not just long bombs.

vCash
    Seems that kurtley beale is a little master in this area, and he hasn't had lessons from andrew johns either( at least i don't think he has)...
    He just plays his natural game, which unfortunately has been stifled in the wallabies ranks, and also super14 ranks just recently...A bit too much predictability has built up and natural flair has been lost as a cost...Nice to see it turning around and fresh new talent is playing the game as it comes to them, rather than as it is structured for them....
    In this case, the new laws are opening up a lot of opportunities...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed, the entry is just as important and destructive if not applied properly.

I don't care what kind of kick - I don't want to see the game degenerate into footvolleyball. If it becomes catch-pass-pass-kick over and over, the game will become almost as tedious as league and I doubt I'll be able to stomach it for long.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with what I've seen with most of the ELV's except the ones to do with the Ruck/Maul.
    The ability to collapse a Maul is a shocker, a cop out and an accident waiting to happen.
    But the biggest "grit my teether" is legalising what MacCaw (yes Kiwi's, and others...) have been getting away with.
    They just need to police it more rigidly and be prepared to Card offenders, I don't see anything wrong with the current (old) rule, it is pretty clear to me.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.