Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Amanda Shalala Take a Curtsy!

vCash
    Yes there is, when they catch them....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Another mental image that I'm not happy with!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    i'm pretty sure i've heard her giving various sport reports on JJJ. i'll listen much more cloesly now.

i had a bit of a google and guess what? this my be our girl..

http://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/sp...otlight_12.htm

go the tafe system... she wont be paying hex

sorry i can not seem to get the link to post properly.. the dir on the sever you want is /courses/spotlight/spotlight_12.htm

argggh!! now it seems to work

Last edited by antiussentiment; 22-08-07 at 11:47.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    Remember, you put that frontrow picture up first mate, that was more than a mental image.....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    Looked in a mirror recently?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hope we get Amanda back soon as a Rugby reporter.

vCash
    Amanda Shalala was just on ABC news, she cracked the big time! Soon she'll ABC's rugby correspondent and rugby will be in the news everyday!

vCash
    Amanda Shalala at work ... or play?

Good sport
    04/10/2007
    Imagine if the worst part of your job was having to go home. That's the experience of Amanda Shalala, the ABC's first Woman Sport Broadcaster Intern, whose only complaint is that "they keep making me take days off!" Justine Greenwood reports.

A sports tragic from the age of 13 (her heart captured by the St George Illawarra Dragons during their thrilling but ultimately failed bid for the 1999 NRL Premiership) and an enthusiastic communicator after public speaking and debating in high school, Amanda said the internship provided a "glorious mix" of her two passions.

"When I read the job description I thought 'this is me'! It's like they went into my brain and said 'this is for Amanda Shalala.'"

More than 100 hopefuls vied for the position and those short-listed had to wow an interview panel made up of Iain Knight, Head of TV Sport, Steve Robilliard, Sport Broadcaster and Tara Hester, Production Supervisor.

The internship offers a year working in all facets of ABC Sport, including TV, radio and online. It was established after a 2006 senate inquiry into women in sport and recreation, when the ABC committed to increasing the number of female broadcasters in its sports coverage.

Amanda believes it is an important pledge. "When you look out in the broadcasting world there's no women. "Well, I shouldn't say none but there's very few."

Of those few women, as both Amanda and the senate report point out, many have called the ABC home at some time in their career. Think Karen Tighe, Simone Thurtell, Tracey Holmes and Debbie Spillane.

Amanda has studied studied a Bachelor of Journalism at Charles Stuart University and completed a one month internship with the ABC Sports News Department at Ultimo and casual work with ABC Sports in Sydney and Melbourne.

That experience has helped her progress quickly from observing others to editing, producing, interviewing, blogging, researching and presenting.

Although she admits to some jitters before conducting her first interivew, Amanda said the thrill of talking to a sporting hero quickly helped her overcome the nerves.

"I'm like a little kid when I'm interviewing my heroes! A few weeks ago there was the Australian Rugby Championship (ARC) launch, so I got to interview David Croft, the Melbourne Rebels captain, icon of Queensland Rugby, a real veteran of the sport.

"I thought, how am I going to do this, I'm going to be so nervous, but once I got there I realised that I know what I'm talking about. So I found it was easy."

ABC Sport has also given Amanda the chance to bring some creative flair to her work or as she said, "they've let me be a bit crazy!"

"We did a story on some young players coming through the Rugby Comp ... I tried to make it a bit different. We had some music, cool graphics and I had a theme - sort of like they were being hunted."

Like most sports reporters, the work has seen Amanda crisscrossing the country, covering the Federation Cup on the Gold Coast, international netball test matches in Melbourne, and, after watching lawn bowls at Tweed Heads, she now declares, "I love lawn balls!"

Having to know about sports as disparate as lawn bowls and netball must surely be a difficult task. But not for this sports tragic. "It's just my life. Everything I do revolves around sport ... I retain useless information about sport. So that probably helps me."

Her ultimate goal is to be a sports commentator and she already has strong ideas about what the kind of broadcaster she aspires to be.

"You've got to convince people through your voice, your face, that you really want to be there and that this is something that is amazing and great and if you don't like it, well, you should like it. Because this is awesome. This is sport."

Amanda said she has been encouraged by some wonderful mentors at the ABC. She cites ABC TV sports presenter Steve Robilliard as being particularly inspirational and receiving advice from Debbie Spillane as a high point of the internship so far.

Amanda dreams of interviewing Adam Gilchrist and also hopes to report from any Olympic Games, the State of Origin, an Ashes Series and the Soccer World Cup. One fantasy that will have to stay just that, is captaining the Australian Men's Cricket Team to Ashes glory. But while Amanda may never play cricket like Ricky Ponting, she feels she is on her way to doing the next best thing.

"It doesn't feel like work, that's what I tell my family and friends. It's not like I'm going to work every day - all I have to go and think about all day, every day, is sport. It's like a holiday."

With that attitude Amanda is destined to hit the sports broadcasting world for six. (C'mon - you didn't think we would let you get away without at least one sporting pun!)

The ABC plans to offer the Woman Sport Broadcast Internship on a yearly basis. Any enquiries should be directed to Suzy Cheung, Assistant to Head of ABC TV Sport & Events, for referral to Iain Knight, Head of Sports and Events.

vCash
    Good stuff!

C'mon the

vCash
    Must remind self.... petrophysics pays the bills... internships at the ABC will not.

Stupid 'having to pay for stuff' getting in the way of everything.

vCash
    I want to be a petrophysicist!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2