Thread: We got no help from rugby states, says Rebels coach

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

We got no help from rugby states, says Rebels coach

So far so good for the Rebels and it's good for the comp and Aus Rugby to have them doing well.
    It's just a shame they couldn't have slid a couple more local fellas onto the roster.
    Perhaps if they had a couple more star signings they could have I guess...

We got no help from rugby states, says Rebels coach

Friday, August 17, 2007

Melbourne Rebels coach Bill Millard has hit out at a lack of help from the rugby heartland as the frontier franchise prepares to host its first Australian Rugby Championship match on Saturday.

Surprise-packet Melbourne feature in a top-of-the-table clash with Wallaby Chris Latham's East Coast following the Rebels' 32-27 away win over Canberra in last weekend's opening round of the fledgling competition.

But with success in the southern capital considered essential for the survival of the controversial ARC, Millard told AAP the support needed to grab a foothold in AFL-land hadn't always been there.

"We've had to work really, really hard to get this team competitive and there's been a lot of barriers that we'll review at the end of the year with Australian rugby," Millard said.

"It's really us here working our arses off from five months ago.

"It's really the VRU (Victorian Rugby Union). We haven't had a huge amount of help but, the way it's fallen into place, I think we'll be pretty competitive and next year we'll learn from mistakes and do a little bit better."

Asked what sort of "barriers" the Rebels had encountered, Millard said: "I won't go into them.

"I guess it's the first set-up, just setting up for the first time and definitely next year we'll do it a little bit better.

"I think the best thing is the boys are absolutely loving Melbourne. Our best asset is these boys want to come back next year."

Despite the problems, Rebels manager Josh Philpot said he was confident of a healthy crowd.

"I know for a fact there's been a lot more interest generated this last week since the win," he told AAP.

"In that sporting precinct there's always a bit of a walk-up crowd so we're certainly hoping to get in that vicinity of three, four thousand.

"There's a lot of expats here, people who are crying out for it ... People are saying 'we want this', there are a lot of corporates saying 'we want this'. It's a matter of capturing it."

Latham's presence is also expected to help, after the superstar fullback continued his return from knee surgery by starring in the Aces' 27-21 win over Ballymore last week.

"Obviously we'd love to have a Wallaby with us but it's just great for the competition," Millard said.

"The boys are going to go after him, we're not going to sit back and watch him."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    No surprises there. There was support for the WA S14 franchise "in principle" from the off. But things changed dramatically once the eastern unions realised that it would actually mean that The Force would need to sign some of their players. Any advances the Vics make from now on may be despite the NSW, Qld, ACT & possibly WA unions.

That would be sad. Not to mention weak as piss when you compare what the AFL has invested to gain a presence in Sydney and Brisbane. The ARU will need to support them and probably RugbyWA just as strongly.

Anyway enough of this. Time to head to MES.

GO SPIRIT!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!