Thread: Too much rugby is barely enough! New WA Comp Announced!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs up Too much rugby is barely enough! New WA Comp Announced!

RugbyWA have announced a new pre-season competition, which starts only 8 days after the Western Force play their first official Super 14 match. To be called the RugbyWA Challenge Cup, it will consist of 4 sides selected from the Western Force squad, last years Gold players, under 19 development players and Force Academy players. Clubs are also invited to nominate players for inclusion.

Too much rugby? NEVER!

Matches will be double headers at Perry Lakes on Feb 18 & 25 and March 4.

Official RugbyWA Challenge Cup Press Release here
    Time to renew those RugbyWA memberships for free entry and members bar rights! Get RugbyWA membership info here

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How good is this for development in this state!?
    Don't think I will be able to make it to the matches from up here this year but hopefully some of our media savvy members will be bale to take a recording to burn to dvd for those of us unable to make it?
    Rock on Western Australian Rugby

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    It's good to see them putting some of their membership fees windfall to good use!

Do you think it will be televised, or will someone need to sneak in with a handycam?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think it would need to be a covert activity Coach
    Just watching the report on last nights 20-20 match at the WACA, what a match!
    I think a similar block of twilight Sevens Rugby could work really well in Perth in summer or spring to keep the interest up in the sport. Perhaps it could be looked at as an extention of the APC or the Pacific Rim Champs?
    Perhaps even a sevens match before the Force fixtures to get the crowd in early and with plenty of voice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    How good is this for development in this state!?
    Don't think I will be able to make it to the matches from up here this year but hopefully some of our media savvy members will be bale to take a recording to burn to dvd for those of us unable to make it?
    Rock on Western Australian Rugby

You may not have to rely on your pals - it maybe on ABC!
    There were moves to put a competition of the club sides on Access31 at the start of the season and another at the end on ABC, but both of these we're rejected in favour of this competition.

I really don't think this competition is helping to improve RugbyWA teams - I could be wrong though.
    It seems to me that it is all happening for the guys who have been brought in and the couple of guys from the inner circle clubs - nothing for the clubs out there doing the right thing within the local competition and promoting junior rugby.......... my 10 cents.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Coach] ...it will consist of 4 sides selected from the Western Force squad, last years Gold players, under 19 development players and Force Academy players. Clubs are also invited to nominate players for inclusion.

Those from "last years Gold players, under 19 development players and Force Academy players" are WA based players I would have thought 8? Also the nominated players from Clubs.
    There is going to be a minimum of 88 players (4x22) involved so it has to include a good deal of local content. There are only 33 in the Force squad and 23 of them will be committed to the weekly S14 match. So you would assume that at up to 65 players will be local?
    Hope the word on ABC coverage is correct, that would be awesome!
    These fellas are the immediate future of the state so it would be great if they get some coverage and spread the rugger word around WA.

vCash
    just thinking about it..there are about 5 players from perth gold and 5 players from under 19 development that are in TWF Academy..This will make it harder for them to field teams...more club players will need to be used..