Thread: ARC - we like it, we need it, stuff the journo's

vCash

ARC - we like it, we need it, stuff the journo's

Leading up to the new comp starting, it was an ARC slate-o-rama-fest from all journos concerned against this 'ill-conceived money pit' that would be the 'death of Aussie grass-roots rugby'. One round into the ARC, it's fascinating to watch what's been happening online (which is all I've got up here in the UK - more on that later).

First off, the big name Hacks have gone deathly quiet. Hardly a whisper of anything ARC apart from a few score-line and injury reports, and odd tucked away mentions of early signs of the competitions success. Here's a few found buried in the SMH (chief ARC nemesis):

"The next surprise was that, despite speculation to the contrary, the game attracted a reasonable crowd. Canberra is a rugby town and officials were pleased with the turnout of 4355."

"Down 16-3 early in the second half, the home side scored three tries to two in front of a larger than expected crowd of 3547."

On Planet Rugby:

"ARU Deputy CEO and ARC Commissioner, Matt Carroll said the standard of rugby shown across the four matches was also impressive. Expectations weren't very high, with officials having budgeted for a crowd attendance average of 2000. The target was exceeded, with the average attendance reported to have been 3508 for the weekend."

Sounds like good news.

Secondly, I haven't yet found any blog or forum reaction to the ARC that's been anything but positive and interested. Being able to see such talent on display outside of super 14's is definitely attracting attention and everyone's talking excitedly, although sometimes a little warily, about the new law changes. If anything, rugby supporters seem to be frustrated by the lack of conversation and coverage of the ARC.

So far then, the numbers and the reactions say that people in the 'real world' like the ARC. Forget the old club brand loyalties, people want to see quality talent in a decent competition. The new cheesy names they'll get used to (if they haven't already).

Which is great, because we sure as hell need this level of competition in Australia. To demonstrate why; this weekend on SkySports (UK Foxtel) there are two Air NZ (NPC) and a Currie Cup game, live. From Australia? Nothing. Ultimately this is because historically there's been nothing of sufficient, recognised quality to show. For all these years our key southern hemisphere rivals have been marshaling their rising talent in strong, national competitions. What have we had?

Contrary therefore to the naysayers, with the advent of more depth in the Super 14's and then the ARC as well, I'm excited about the future of Australian rugby. Especially if you look at what we've achieved so far, effectively with one arm tied behind our backs. I'd say the sort of money they've talked about investing ($7.5m over 3 years) is more than worth it out of the RWC'03 kitty, especially against a certain ex league player's salary ($6m over 4 years).

Who knows, I might even get to see some of it on the telly one day.

First posted on Green and Gold Rugby

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by greenandgoldrugby; 17-08-07 at 04:34.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Very true G&G.

The rugby has been fast, exciting and skillful. The next round will be the same except there will be bigger crowds still. I reckon Perth Spirit will easily get 5000+ tonight. Stuff that up yah growden!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    The Eastern States clubs have been dead against it because, unlike the Air New Zealand Cup and the Currie Cup, the ARC takes place during the club season rather than after it. Sydney's clubs are big money enterprises and to lose half their stars during the finals stages of the season and the finals is diabolically stupid as far as the're concerned, and you can see their point. Just ask Frank how they feel down at Paly about losing Ratu and Chucky going into the finals. The season structure has not been given a lot of thought in setting up this comp. The ARC is a good thing and essential for Australia to get that depth of elite talent, but more work needs to be done on the season structure so that it works for everyone.

vCash
    I think it was always going to be difficult to introduce the ARC in a world cup year. Its current slot is a best fit scenario and probably could not be avoided. You will probably find it will be shifting later in the year probably around Sept-October.
    Super14 is Usually later anyway so they should gel well with the Club Scene/Trinations.

vCash
    I am with Zimmo on this one, the introduction of the comp was unfortunately timed with the World cup, and coinciding with finals in club rugby...This is most likely going to be addressed as a priority in the wash up and i believe things will be altered for the next season to put more smiles on dials in the eastern states and relevant club comps....Just think, rugby for almost the whole year, wouldn't that be an awesome achievement in the long term....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Point is Rick, it doesn't conflict with the Sydney and Brisbane comps as they have been modified to match.
    The Finals for both, as reported on TWF were on July 28.
    Sydney's main trophy, the Shute Shield, has been awarded for 2007.
    They are now playing a second comp (previously the pre-season comp) which I imagine will be a much more even playing field with the Clubs almost like a handicap horse race.
    This will again be of far greater benefit to Australian Rugby as battlers like Penrith and Southern Districts (who have only lost one or two players each) will be on a par with Sydney Uni 2nd XV etc and therefore won't just be on the end of perpetual floggings with the rare upset.
    The NPC and Currie Cup are underway in NZ and SA and you can be sure there is also still Club Rugby happening there.
    What we are seeing in Western Australia is as you suggest, the result of RWA not adapting the comp here to allow for the ARC.
    However, in WA there are only a handful of players involved as, as we all know, the local S14 players are rarely running out for their respective Clubs anyway. I believe that to be a bigger impediment to growth in WA than a couple of the better locals missing from a couple of Clubs.
    In my mind our S14 players MUST be out with their Clubs week to week rather than wrapped up in cotton wool at the Perry Lakes gym.
    That builds depth for the Comp from the top and the bottom.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Point is Rick, it doesn't conflict with the Sydney and Brisbane comps as they have been modified to match.
    The Finals for both, as reported on TWF were on July 28.
    Sydney's main trophy, the Shute Shield, has been awarded for 2007.
    They are now playing a second comp (previously the pre-season comp) which I imagine will be a much more even playing field with the Clubs almost like a handicap horse race.
    This will again be of far greater benefit to Australian Rugby as battlers like Penrith and Southern Districts (who have only lost one or two players each) will be on a par with Sydney Uni 2nd XV etc and therefore won't just be on the end of perpetual floggings with the rare upset.
    The NPC and Currie Cup are underway in NZ and SA and you can be sure there is also still Club Rugby happening there.
    What we are seeing in Western Australia is as you suggest, the result of RWA not adapting the comp here to allow for the ARC.
    However, in WA there are only a handful of players involved as, as we all know, the local S14 players are rarely running out for their respective Clubs anyway. I believe that to be a bigger impediment to growth in WA than a couple of the better locals missing from a couple of Clubs.
    In my mind our S14 players MUST be out with their Clubs week to week rather than wrapped up in cotton wool at the Perry Lakes gym.
    That builds depth for the Comp from the top and the bottom.
    OK, the Eastern States clubs aren't having their finals sabotaged by the ARC, but I bet their cash registers are suffering, which is just about as important to those club committees.

And unless it's changed recently, the NZ club season always finished by August so that rugby people could get behind the NPC. It was quite a short season compared to Australia, because that's all Australia ever had.

vCash
    Let us all hope these issues are addressed at the end of the season and the ARC becomes a well planned extension to the rugby seasons, both club and super14, right across Aus....It is too good a prospect to be pulled apart now....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Champion
    vCash
    All good points