Thread: Not all binge-drinking and all nighters

vCash

Not all binge-drinking and all nighters

Just a nice article proving that rugby boys aren't all like Dumb & Dumber - oh sorry Tuqiri and Dunning....

Who needs alcohol when rugby gives you a buzz
    Julia Whyte - The Canberra Times

Alcohol-fuelled off-field dramas suggest that rugby union is fostering a culture of binge drinking and all-night celebrations, but a day after the ARU issued a curfew to two of its top players one of the sport's most promising young talents said he had never felt pressured into drinking or getting drunk.

ACT Brumbies flanker Julian Salvi represents a new breed of players who are more likely to order a soft drink than alcohol when they head to the pub for after match celebrations.

The 21-year-old, who is part of the World Cup shadow squad, admitted yesterday he has had a beer or two on a Mad Monday or after a big win but had never been drunk.

Salvi said while the Brumbies had educated the players on the impact alcohol can have on performance, it was a lifestyle choice he had made before joining the two-time Super 14 champions.

"I never really got into the whole sort of drinking thing, a lot of my mates did it at school and things, but for me personally rugby was more a focus for me at that stage and just getting through school academically as well, so I've never really started and it never really caught on once I got into the rugby scene," he said.

"There's a great camaraderie that we've formed at the Brumbies and that's not about drinking and I've never found that pressure to drink."

Brumbies winger Franky Fainifo and flyhalf Christian Lealiifano are also among the players who rarely drink alcohol.

Fainifo said his choice to only have a beer or two at a birthday or family gathering is due to his upbringing.

"My dad's a reverend, he's always said when I was little to keep away from that stuff and now that I'm old enough to make my own decisions he's happy for me to do what ever I want," he said.

"But life's been good without it."

Such admissions are probably music to the ears of officials at the ARU who this week have had to hose down another controversy involving two players out on an all-night drinking binge.

While Queensland police cleared Lote Tuqiri and Matt Dunning of any implication in an alleged assault last Friday, the fact both players had been out drinking until 5.30am, lead the ARU to give the repeat offenders a 12pm curfew for the Rugby World Cup and training camps leading up to the tournament.

Salvi said it was each player's prerogative whether or not he drinks but supported a curfew for players who were time and again putting themselves and the sport in harm's way.

"I can't really comment on what other people do, although when they get totally off their face and cause a bad name for rugby union they are impacting [the code] and I suppose in that sense, they've got to be careful what they do, they are in the public light and they are role models for young players," he said.

Brumbies chief executive officer Andrew Fagan said the side had never had to impose such measures as curfews or banning alcohol, but it does have an alcohol policy, which allowed the club to test any player who arrived "without the ability to train at the required level" but it had not been needed since it was introduced two seasons ago.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Sanctimonious twats.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Sanctimonious twats.
    Can't agree more!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Oh, give me a break....I am with Fulvio on this one....Good on them, but get over yourselves....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    except for the Magners and Guinness at the various Irish Pubs in ACT, there isn't anything else worth drinking than the water anyway!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Who's going to be the first to say that they've seen them out on the town blotto!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleypinkbit
    Who's going to be the first to say that they've seen them out on the town blotto!

GG the Pieman

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I actually knew about Frankie not being a drinker. I worked at the northern uni games last year when he played for UNE and had several Uni games staff comment that he doesnt drink and these are people that have been on tour with him when he was playing for the Australian Uni teams.

vCash
    Good on them!!...however i just feel its personal choice and as long as players (and anyone in general really) are not acting like complete morons then i don't have a problem with them choosing to drink and also in the case of sports players, as long as their performance on the field and at training is maintained, i don't care how long they stay out for or how much they drink....Just my two cents worth

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have a hunch there may be a cynical reason behind Fairbanks pissing himself laughing at Salvi in that photo?

Totally agree with his (Salvi's) quote in the second last paragraph though.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleypinkbit
    I haven't seen the ones mentioned blotto, but I have seen them out and about.

It's a very Canberra Times article... with that angle even after they had to sack a journo after he texted a Canberra Raider with the message, who had been in a lot of trouble over drinking who then said he wasn't going to drink alcohol, "want to tell me you story over a drink or two?"

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow