Thread: One Year Extension for Best Back Jacobs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

One Year Extension for Best Back Jacobs

The question needs to be asked though, at 26 and voted your Best Back, why only a one year deal

Monday, 13 August 2007
    NSWRU Media Unit

The HSBC Waratahs have retained the services of centre Ben Jacobs for the 2008 season, the 25-year old agreeing to a new one-year deal at the weekend.

The extension comes on the back of a best-ever season at Super 14 level for Jacobs, who featured in all 13 Waratah matches on the way to being named best back for the year.

"For Ben, 2007 was a breakthrough year," HSBC Waratahs head coach Ewen McKenzie.

"That may sound strange but after four injury interrupted years we always maintained faith in his capabilities.

"This year Ben got a chance and made the most of it.

"His form was outstanding across a difficult season and that's what made his performances all the more impressive.

"We're looking for him now to go to another level in 2008."

A highly versatile player with the ability to cover a number of positions in the backline, Jacobs achieved his aim of playing exclusively in the centres during 2007.

After starting the season at inside centre he finished one spot wider, scoring two tries including an intercept in the Waratahs final round victory over the Hurricanes in Wellington.

He's since been a standout for both Warringah and the Imagetec Central Coast Rays, lining up for the Rays in their Mazda Australian Rugby Championship opener against the Sydney Fleet last Friday night.

"I'm really enjoying my Rugby and I think that's shown through on the field," Jacobs said.

"I was blown away to be named best back and I'm glad to get the opportunity to have another crack in 2008.

"My focus now is to finish the year off strong with the Rays before getting into preseason training and season 2008 with the Waratahs.

"There's a really positive feeling around the place and I can't wait to get stuck in."

With Jacobs back on deck, the Waratahs still have another four positions left to fill on their roster for the 2008 season.

BEN JACOBS

Position: Centre

Physical: 1.86m, 95kg

Born: 17.05.1982, Sydney

Club: Warringah

ARC Team: Imagetec Central Coast Rays

State Caps: 36

State Points: 40 [8t]

State Debut: 2003 v Samoa

Super Rugby Caps: 28

Super Rugby Points: 20 [4t]

Super Rugby Debut: 2004 v Crusaders, Christchurch

Ben Jacobs stamped his authority on the HSBC Waratahs Super 14 season in 2007. Playing exclusively in the centres he finished the year as the Waratahs Best Back, polling 140 peer votes to edge out match winners Lote Tuqiri and Lachie Turner.

A veteran of the Waratahs program despite being just 25 years of age, Jacobs made his Super Rugby debut against the Crusaders in round one of the 2004 season and his state debut six months earlier against Samoa.

He has since played 36 matches for his state, 28 of those at Super Rugby level.

An Australia A representative in 2005, only injury has prevented him from playing more games in a Waratahs jersey, with his early career dogged by persistent ankle, knee and shoulder complaints.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Very short-sighted......or maybe just 1 year cover before they sign some other big mungo on an over-paid deal to try & persuade the mungo fans in NSW to turn to the game they play in heaven.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    The question needs to be asked though, at 26 and voted your Best Back, why only a one year deal

A veteran of the Waratahs program despite being just 25 years of age, Jacobs ..... with his early career dogged by persistent ankle, knee and shoulder complaints.
    At only 25, with a litany of small injuries - That should answer your question Burgs.
    It should also point to caution on using intensive weights programs (mentioned on another thread) in juniors an school boys. These are the sorts of niggling injuries we expect when people have been put into heavy weights too soon (developmentaly).

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Ben only wanted one year, he is hoping on a transfer to The Force in 2009

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!