Thread: ARU staring into $6m hole

vCash

ARU staring into $6m hole

ARU staring into $6m hole

Pie Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent

Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Australian Rugby Union, already attempting to fix a rift involving Wallabies officials and players, faces a financial crisis which could result in a loss of up to $6 million this year.

A high-ranking ARU official told the Herald last night that the union was "in a state of decay".

There are a long list of reasons for the expected revenue slump, including a blow-out in expenditure, a dramatic drop in Sydney Test attendances because of second-rate opponents, rising costs and discrepancies involving employee contracts.

Several ARU delegates are also "deeply concerned" about the costs involved in running the Australian Rugby Championship, which begins next week, with officials convinced it will turn into "a financial nightmare".

ARU chief executive John O'Neill, who recently replaced Gary Flowers, whose contract was terminated early, is understood to have been surprised at the state of the union when he returned to head office several weeks ago.

Also worrying the ARU is the financial state of the NSW Rugby Union, which has seen its revenue drop alarmingly following a poor Super 14 season and the resultant turnover in staff.

Recently, NSW Rugby Union chief executive Fraser Neill was replaced by Jim L'Estrange, with the removal and appointment of the union's main executive taking just 24 hours.

But what could really affect the ARU balance sheet is the expenditure incurred in running the first season of the ARC, which involves eight amalgamated teams - three from Sydney, two from Brisbane, and one each Canberra, Melbourne and Perth.

The ARC has already deeply divided the rugby community, with concerns that the competition, which will be held concurrently with the World Cup in France, will struggle to attract crowds, especially as it involves sides that have no history.

Its worth as a selection trial for aspiring Wallabies also loses credibility when the national team and its selectors are on the other side of the world.

Also worrying officials are reports that one ARC team is expected to suffer at least a $1.7m loss in its first year. The costs at another ARC side are already running at three times more than originally budgeted, and the team has yet to play a game. One high-ranking source said that "at numerous ARC teams, the costs are already running out of control".

Officials believe only two of the eight teams - the Canberra Vikings and Perth Spirit - have the potential to break even. This has prompted enormous ructions within the Sydney club ranks, with one north-of-the-harbour first division team understood to be considering boycotting the Trevor Allan Cup, a club competition being held during August-September, in protest over losing so many players to the ARC.

There has also been widespread complaints after Waratahs winger Peter Hewat was allowed to play for the Central Coast Rays ARC team, despite last week joining the London Irish club.

The critics ask that while the ARC has been relentlessly pushed as a tier to find representative players, where is the logic of giving a team spot to a player who is about to head overseas?

However, opponents to Hewat's appearance in the ARC have been told he must play because he has been used in the competition's promotional material, and that he is closely linked to one of the tournament sponsors.

Such is the dissatisfaction with the ARC among the game's grassroots that the Herald has been told a committee has been formed, involving high-ranking Sydney and Brisbane officials, who are in the process of formulating an alternate club competition that would take over from the ARC. This competition is expected to cost a third of the ARC.

Meanwhile, Camp Wallaby remains unsteady, with several players privately voicing their concerns they will be involved in yet another training camp next week in Brisbane.

While the players are happy to be part of a three-day camp in Sydney this week, some have said another camp next week is "overkill" - especially as it will involve commando training. The players have been told the camp is to build team morale.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was just reading that, Growden certainly is getting a head of steam up now!
    What's the "mood on the street" over there Chook, do you hear people talking about it?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Only amongst us at GTT. No talk anywhere else. No advertising to be seen other than the short ARC clip on RugbyHeaven and ARU site.
    ABC not really promoting it all either.
    The only rugby promoting I've noticed is ads for RWC on CH10 (who have the coverage).

I would be very surprised if any of my non GTT pals even know what the ARC is.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Such is the dissatisfaction with the ARC among the game's grassroots that the Herald has been told a committee has been formed, involving high-ranking Sydney and Brisbane officials, who are in the process of formulating an alternate club competition that would take over from the ARC. This competition is expected to cost a third of the ARC.

Probably not involving a WA squad, gaurantee it...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I met a guy from QLD last night, after the spirit trials, and he informs me that QLD supporters and clubs (that he is aware of) are all eager and looking forward to ARC. As a regular punter he can't wait to watch about 6 or 7 games at Ballymore for less than the price of a good meal (he mentioned $65 for the lot!).
    So from WA, ACT and QLD all seems happy - Oh it must be the wood ducks from Sydney again.

I can't see how any half decent management team can let costs blow out to "3 time budget" and still turn up for work.

Sound like Growdens got his knickers in a twist to me. Should keep his head out of his arse and he wouldn't be so cranky.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No Shit Shirlock.....

Fair Dinkum.....its a good thing that Grumbles Growden isnt the finance writer...

Any new product that an enterprise launches is normally in for a loss for at least a couple of years....

And if the ARU are to spend some of the millions in reserve after RWC2003 then there will be more paper losses in the next few years...

As for NSWRU...they have been a financial basket case for years......

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    With you Gerry on this one. Why all the negative pr before the comp evens starts. If all those whingeing self serving NSW club wankers dont wont to be apart of the ARC....well bugger off and lets crank up teams in other places and give local players with some assitance from the ARU to have a crack, ie a team in Adelaide, North Old, NT, Tassie wherever. Its about developing the game for the ENTIRE benefit of Australian rugby.

The ARU made what 45 mill from 03 RWC? Its their duty to foster the game and make the Wallabies stronger. Perhaps get their ship in order, bite the bullet and make sure the ARC is a success. Also stop throwing good money at overated mungo players who couldnt give a stuff about wearing the jersey and start looking within our own rugby stocks.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    What he said...100%!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chook
    There are a long list of reasons for the expected revenue slump, including ... a dramatic drop in Sydney Test attendances because of second-rate opponents...
    Seriously. The cheek of the man!

True, it's a bit weird launching the ARC at the time of the World Cup, but I reckon most matches from Europe will come on just after matches in Australia finish...?

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I really don't have the energy to be surprised or frustrated by NSW any more. It's partly their fault for the big $$$ losses with the weak-assed performances of the Waratahs. They're the ones that need the depth development after crashing 10 positions in one season. It reminds me of the spoilt brat who brings a cricket bat to school and as soon as he gets out he has a tandrum and goes off with it. If he can't play and win, noone can. We should form the RARC (Real Australian Rugby Championship) with Queensland, ACT, WA and Melbourne.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    What I find interesting is that the two teams they feel might break even are Perth and Canberra - the two locations that set up their structures around elite teams established during the professional era.

I may be wrong, but it feels like the NSW and Q'ld organisations have carried over a huge amount of baggage from the amateur era. They see their primary focus being the club level, but with a continued reliance on funding from the ARU. Any money they manage to generate for themselves is nice, but there is no major drive to establish a sustainable structure as they see handouts and test match revenues as their right. It is almost as though the ARU is their bank, and anything spent outside of NSW/Q'ld is money out of their pockets.

The strange thing is that, as they claim the biggest support base, I would have thought they would have the most to gain from the ARC. Engage the supporters and you have three teams generating money to help support the various feeder clubs aligned to each team. This reduces demand on the monies generated by the single S14 team, which can be diverted to growth activities and it hopefully all rolls on from there.

Maybe we do Growden a disservice, and he is actually laying the groundwork for a complete restructure of the NSWRU and QRU organisations..?