Thread: All Blacks past it: Jones

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

All Blacks past it: Jones

Those crazy South African Coaches say anything for a headline

All Blacks past it: Jones

Marc Hinton
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones, poised to take on a controversial World Cup role with the Springboks, says the All Blacks are a team in decline, but they may still be good enough to win the global crown for the first time in 20 years.

Jones is considering a role with South Africa at the upcoming World Cup in France, a state of affairs that has the Australian scene running amok with conspiracy theories. The former Wallabies coach, who was replaced after the 2005 tour north, has just finished a one-week "advisory" stint with Jake White and the Springboks.

He says he is "having discussions" with the Springboks camp about extending that relationship to take in the World Cup, a situation which seems certain to occur as he transitions into a permanent role with Saracens in the English premiership.

If the right detail is thrashed out Jones will help guide the Springboks through a campaign where the All Blacks clearly present themselves as the side to beat in France and the UK through September and October.

But, according to Fast Eddie, Graham Henry's men in black present less of an imposing obstacle than they did a year or two ago. Jones says he agrees with the theory floated by another ex-Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer that the New Zealanders are on the slippery slope.

"I think they're still the favourites," Jones told Radio Sport in an interview from South Africa. "What the problem has been, if you look at New Zealand in 2004, 2005 and 2006, they were probably five-to-six per cent better than everyone else. Now they're probably one-to-two per cent better than anyone else. That difference has decreased, not dissimilar to England in 2003 when they probably hit a peak in June and then were just able to hang on.

"New Zealand, as Bob Dwyer made the point in May, have already hit their peak but they've still got enough left to be rated the best side in the world and an outstanding chance of winning the World Cup."

Jones, who quit as Queensland Reds coach after a shocking Super 14 campaign earlier this year, told the station his personal observation was that Henry's side still had something up their sleeves ahead of the global tournament. In fact, he wouldn't be surprised to see them hit their stride when the whip gets cracked in October.

"They've been idling a little bit. Graham Henry is a bit like a racehorse trainer returning a stayer for the Melbourne Cup. He doesn't want him peaking a month before, he wants them peaking at the World Cup. I think you'll find the All Blacks, when it comes to the World Cup, will be a much more cohesive unit than they've been over the last couple of months."

In terms of the angst he's causing in Australia with his move into the Boks camp, Jones defended his latest role and said he was particularly surprised to hear such direct criticism coming from reborn CEO John O'Neill.

O'Neill has labelled Jones' move as disloyal and "mercenary" and the Wallabies coaching staff have weighed in by saying they're concerned that he may offer trade secrets to the South Africans that could help them beat the Wallabies should they meet at the Cup.

"I've moved on now, we're moving up to England ... I don't see myself being disloyal at all," Jones told Radio Sport. "What I'm trying to do is become a better coach. In terms of giving away secrets from the Wallabies, I haven't coached them since November 2005, and as is well-documented, when I coached the Reds in the Super 14 I basically had no communication with John Connolly so I don't know where I'd be getting this secret information from."

Jones said his link with the South Africans came about through his friendship with head coach Jake White and that he'd been working on adding some "subtlety" to their well-versed power game. "You see it with the All Blacks who play a powerful game but when they get into a bit of subtlety and some clever moves they become even more dangerous."

But he still believed the World Cup would be won by the side with the strongest defence. "I don't think South Africa are going to go anywhere away from their natural game. All we're trying to do is add something that makes the opposition think a little bit more.

"I'm just trying to add value," he said. "The difference between the top four sides in the world is probably anywhere between 2% and down to half a percent. So if you can add that quarter of a percent here or there it can make a difference."

Jones also labeled the Springboks as the biggest threat to the All Blacks at the upcoming Cup. "But it's now about what side can improve the most. They're small increments, but whatever side improves the most over the next two months will be the side knocking on the door of the World Cup final."

Finally, he couldn't resist a dig at O'Neill who appeared to be adopting selective nationalism when it came to the international game. The new Aussie boss is apparently still hot on the trail of Robbie Deans to take over the Wallabies, apparently even prepared to allow him a farewell campaign with the Crusaders before taking on the job.

"Can you believe John O'Neill even contemplating that after the spray he's given me? I think that's quite humorous ... someone should take [him] up on those comments," added Jones, his trademark smirk no doubt prevalent.

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Eddie seriously needs to have his foot surgically removed from his mouth.

The last thing we need is angry Allblacks!

But I for one have a stackload more respect for the ABs than tha saffas and I wouldn't say that they are the biggest threat to their campaign at all. I'm expecting SA to fall apart at the seams after all their talk and shenanigans. Hope their decision to essentially boycot the trinations tournament blows up in their faces and their lack of match practice blows up in their faces.

Eddie seems to be pretty smug as always. I think he belongs in SA really and I'm sure he and his apparent best friend White will be very happy together.

But don't piss off the AB's Eddie.

You'll awake the sleeping Giant.

Rant over.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Eddie Jones' Wallabies knocked the All Blacks out of the RWC in 2003

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    Eddie Jones' Wallabies knocked the All Blacks out of the RWC in 2003
    So did the French in 1999, the Saffas in 1995 and the Wallabies in 1991 and all that without Eddie

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    You tell him Tdevil

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Can you two get a room?

vCash

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Goldy is a sour puss

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Maybe an Eddie Jones in the making

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm finding it hilarious that a South African is defending and embracing Eddie Jones, the world turns in mysterious ways...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Im loving this thread

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ahh the old "I was really only fishing, I didn't mean it" come back
    He's YOUR problem now Goldie

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Goldweiner is a joke. I mean, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery but he is still the 'poor mans' chook.

Keep trying though.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Eddies head would look pretty good morphed into the photo though

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast