Thread: Trinity Premier Rugby Hospital Cup Grand Final

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Trinity Premier Rugby Hospital Cup Grand Final

Trinity Premier Rugby Hospital Cup Grand Final

Sick winger keen for a win

By Jim Tucker
    July 28, 2007 12:00am

FLU-HIT Digby Ioane is the spark who can carry Sunnybank to a second premiership today on the same stage where his career took off two years ago.
    The quicksilver winger was still in bed at lunchtime yesterday in an effort to sleep off the bug that may have a better chance of nobbling him than the Gold Coast defence at Ballymore.

He'll have every chance to burn the Breakers if the Sunnybank pack wins a decent cut of possession.

In 2005, the darting dynamo's try and jinking attacks in the 41-17 grand final triumph over Gold Coast earned him a shock Wallaby tour call-up a week later at just 20.

His exploits today will be a preview of the verve he will add to the Queensland backline next year as the Reds' star recruit from the Western Force.

His try-kissed Test debut against Wales last month gave him a valid shot at World Cup selection yet the youngster isn't brooding at his omission.

"I wasn't disappointed. You've got to be patient and 2011 is still there for me," Ioane said.

"With Lote Tuqiri, Drew Mitchell, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Mark Gerrard as the first choices, it was always going to be hard in my position this time."

Ioane has a second premiership high on his mind.

"I wasn't long out of school in 2005," he said.

"I feel I've added heaps to my skills since then and Tim Sampson is still there to put me through gaps."

Ioane was in Year 12 at Gregory Terrace when a blond-haired kid from Year 10 named Ben Lucas first won a chance in the school's first XV.

"I took his lunch on the playground in those days. He's stepped up big time this season," Ioane quipped of the slick-stepping Lucas threat at Flyhalf.

Inside centre stalwart Sampson, 31, has beaten a corked thigh and the late-night feeding calls of new daughter Mia to play his final game for Sunnybank today.

Rival skipper Garrick Morgan, 37, is also retiring after an 18-season career that has taken him from clubland to the Wallabies and back again.

"I haven't been this nervous for a long time," Morgan said.

"I just hope a lot of the young players of today stay connected to their clubs because they are some of the best times of my career. One last result would be great."

Burly Breakers prop Tama Tuirirangi promised Sunnybank's Wallaby props Rodney Blake and Greg Holmes they wouldn't have everything their own way.

"We'll have eight guys working in the scrum against them and we won't be making the mistake of going in high to tackle Rodney," Tuirirangi said.

Blake has brushed through several feeble high-grabs en route to five tries in two finals outings.

Easts Flyhalf Matt Brandon (18 votes) was yesterday named the Tooheys New Medalist as player of the year ahead of Sunnybank flanker Ewan McGregor (16).

Gold Coast:

1. P Toetu,
    2. N Byron,
    3. T Tuirirangi S14,
    4. G Morgan (c) exS14,
    5. L Caughley,
    6. R Fuimaono,
    7. D Ese,
    8. B Paraha,
    9. S Batty,
    10. C Niwa,
    11. B Stapleton exS14,
    12. L Johansson S14,
    13. W Walker,
    14. C Dunn,
    15. M Milroy,
    16. S Williams,
    17. W Munsie,
    18. E Teofilo,
    19. C Bracewell,
    20. S Bruce,
    21. B Kirkham,
    22. N Ruchti.

Sunnybank:

1. R Blake S14,
    2. O Avei S14,
    3. G Holmes S14,
    4. J Kriukelis,
    5. B Tronc,
    6. S Killen,
    7. E McGregor,
    8. J Afu,
    9. N Berry S14,
    10. B Lucas,
    11. K Lee,
    12. T Sampson,
    13. H Veratau S14,
    14. D Ioane S14,
    15. J Dart,
    16. J Tufuga,
    17. N Byrne,
    18. L Billiau,
    19. R Lee,
    20. S Armstrong,
    21. L Bibo,
    22. D Patterson.

Referee: G Acton

Coaches tip Sunnybank to prevail in decider

QRU Media, Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sunnybank have proved a popular tip to win Saturday’s Trinity Premier Rugby Grand Final, with six of the eight premier coaches leaning towards the Dragons to claim the title.

GPS coach Mick Heenan has seen the two grand final teams up close and personal in the past two weeks and believes Sunnybank will have the edge on Saturday.

“I think they’ve proven themselves to be the two best teams in the competition, but I think Sunnybank will win.

“I just think they’ve (Sunnybank) got more strike power, with the forward pack they’re putting on the field at the moment I think they have the ability to hold the Gold Coast,” said Heenan who coached GPS to the minor premiership this year.

Heenan was not alone in his assessment of the Dragons pack headed by the heavyweight front row of Greg Holmes, Rodney Blake and Ole Avei.

However it’s the Sunnybank backline which will win the game according to Brothers coach Paul Mills.

“I think Sunnybank will win if they get their fair share of possession. If Gold Coast can hang onto the ball and muscle up the middle it might be a different story.

“I think Sunnybank will outrun them and have the wheels to beat them,” said Mills.

Wests coach Tony Cross likes the fact the Dragons are going into the game having won eight games straight.

“I reckon Sunnybank might get over the line, they’ve got good momentum going into the game, they play a bit more of an expansive game and probably have a bit better support play.

“I think when it gets out into the open Sunnybank have a bit more to offer,” said Cross who coached Wests to the 2006 title.

Souths coach Ian Cameron said Sunnybank’s experience and their representative players would be the difference.

“They’ve (Sunnybank) got a good, balanced team, they have experienced players in Tim Sampson and John Dart, plus their front row and Digby (Ioane).

“Gold Coast have a very good forward pack but I think Sunnybank have a little bit more strike power in their backs, they’ll shift the ball,” said Cameron.

Easts coach and former Reds fly half Andrew Scotney couldn’t go past the Dragons.

“Too much strike player all over the field, too many quality players and the addition of Blake and Homes will be massive for them,” said Scotney.

Norths-QUT coach Chris Roche believes it will be a tight game but is leaning towards Sunnybank.

“I think they (Sunnybank) have more flair in the backs…the forward battle will be interesting and obviously either team can win it,” said Roche.

Roche will be an interested spectator at Ballymore on Saturday in his role as Ballymore Tornadoes coach, with 19 East Coast Aces players on show.

“When you put both those sides together you end up with a hell of a team which is what they’ll have.

“They (East Coast Aces) will have power, size and speed,” said Roche.

The Ballymore Tornadoes play the East Coast Aces in the opening round of the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship at Carrara on August 12.

Departing Sunshine Coast Stingrays coach David Clark is backing the Breakers.

“They’ve (Gold Coast) got a good coaching team in John Boe and Garrick Morgan and they’ve certainly stepped it up this particular season and turned things around.

“They’ve got more bulk up front, they’ve got structure and they’ve got pace…what they don’t have is Timmy Sampson. Tim Sampson could be the difference in the game but I still think Gold Coast will win,” said Clark.

University coach Nick Stiles also thinks the Breakers will lift the Hospital Cup on Saturday afternoon, saying size and experience will get the Gold Coast home.

QR Queensland Reds coach Phil Mooney is tipping a Sunnybank victory.

“Initially the forward battle will be pretty intense but I think the Sunnybank front row probably has a bit more running in it,” he said.

Mooney is likely to have his eye on recruit Digby Ioane who will turn out for the Reds in 2008.

“Digby certainly offers Sunnybank line breaking and finishing potential.

“I think Digby will be a pretty dangerous threat to the Gold Coast, he roves well from broken play as he showed against GPS and he’s pretty dangerous when he’s got the ball in hand,” said Mooney.

Reds backs coach Damon Emtage is tipping Saturday’s game to be one of the better grand finals in recent years with the best two teams playing each other.

“I think if Tim Sampson plays, Sunnybank will have the edge being able to play a game with variety.

“If he (Sampson) doesn’t play it might swing to the (Gold) Coast, because Sunnybank rely heavily on his direction and his experience,” said Emtage, who coached Sunnybank to their maiden premiership in 2005.

Latham forced out of Trinity Grand Final

QRU Media, Thursday, July 26, 2007

QR Queensland Reds and Wallaby World Cup squad member Chris Latham has been forced out of Saturday’s Trinity Premier Rugby Grand Final at Ballymore by a groin strain.

Latham strained an adductor muscle at Wallaby training and advised the Gold Coast Breakers that he would not be available for the Grand Final.

However an ARU spokesman said he should be right to play for the East Coast Aces in the first two Mazda Australian Rugby Championship matches next month, before the Wallaby squad leaves for France.

The Gold Coast Breakers square off with Sunnybank for the Hospital Cup in Saturday’s Trinity Premier Rugby Grand Final at Ballymore (kick off 3:00pm).

Sunnybank will be chasing their second title on Saturday having beaten the Gold Coast to win their maiden premiership in 2005 but the Dragons have had a disrupted preparation.

The Dragons are sweating on the fitness of inspirational skipper and midfield general Tim Sampson in what will could be the veteran’s last game for the club.

Sampson left the field in the first half of last week’s preliminary final with a quad injury and will be given all week to prove his fitness.

“The physio was quite positive last night, there doesn’t appear to be a tear or a strain,” said Sunnybank coach Roy Saunders.

Dane Patterson will be elevated to the starting line up should Sampson fail to prove his fitness.

The Dragons have lost young lock Robert Simmons after he was suspended after being red-carded for punching in last week’s preliminary final win over GPS.

The Dragons will look to Digby Ioane to sizzle on the end of the exciting Sunnybank backline.

In an enthusiastic display in last week’s 40-10 preliminary final win over GPS, Ioane gave fans a taste of things to come when he joins the QR Queensland Reds for the 2008 Super 14 season.

The Sunnybank flyer left defenders in his wake every time he touched the ball; his speed, strength and footwork making him a danger in broken play.

The Dragons have 13 players in their team for Saturday who were part of their premiership success in 2005, including World Cup-bound Wallaby prop Greg Holmes.

Former Manu Samoa World Cup coach John Boe has guided the Breakers to the grand final in his first year in the job after the Gold Coast finished a disappointing seventh last year.

The Breakers will take a psychological advantage into Saturday’s decider having accounted for the Dragons in both their outings in 2007 but Boe says that record will count for little come 3pm Saturday.

“At the end of the day it means nothing because it’s a one-off, winner takes all.

“They’re a really good team, there’s no question about that…they’ve got some really good game busters, they’ve got some big forwards and they have been playing well,” Boe said.

The hurt of the 2005 grand final loss to Sunnybank will still be fresh in the mind of the Gold Coast as they look to avenge the disappointment of two seasons ago.

The two grand final teams provide 19 players for the East Coast Aces who will contest the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship in August, making Saturday’s decider a sneak preview for Aces fans.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    GOODNESS ME!!!

Sunnybank romp home with record Grand Final score

QRU Media, Saturday, July 28, 2007

Sunnybank posted a record score in beating the Gold Coast Breakers 85-19 to win the 2007 Trinity Premier Grand Final.

The Dragons raced away to a 43-7 lead by halftime, scoring at more than a point a minute to leave the Gold Coast floundering in their wake.

Sunnybank scored 12 tries - three of them to hooker Ole Avei - in their win, which easily outstripped the previous record winning margin of 45-3 by Canberra over Easts in 2002.

Sunnybank flyhalf Ben Lucas claimed two tries in an individual points tally of 35.

Playing almost flawless rugby in the first half, Sunnybank opened the scoring at just the three minute mark when Lucas crossed in the corner after slipping a tackle and dummying another defender, and they proceeded to score a try roughly every five minutes from then on, with the exception of a Gold Coast flurry late in the half when Breakers No 8 Bo Paraha crossed.

Otherwise it was all Sunnybank, with talented Dragons No 8 Josh Afu scoring the first of his two tries and Avei the first of his three, with Lucas having a hand in each.

"We probably executed near the perfect game (in the first half) and that's very hard to do," said Sunnybank coach Roy Saunders.

"We backed what we had the ability to do and that was move the ball and move their big guys around."

Saunders said the halftime talk was "pretty unconventional" as he tried to keep a lid on the excitement at what had been a "mind-boggling" first half display by the Dragons.

"I urged them to stay with what they were doing, with the basics, how we were playing the game."

Saunders said the Dragons set out to play an expansive, athletic game while still controlling possession and not be drawn into slow, confrontational "trench warfare" against the giant Breakers pack.

"We didn't want to get into eight-on-eight trench warfare: we knew that if we could move them around the park that would be to our advantage," he said.

"We spoke about the need to dominate possession and maintain possession.

"When you're playing with width so many teams get lost pretty quickly because they go to width and they can turn over the ball because they don't get numbers to the breakdown.

"I said to our guys: 'we're going to get to the ball quicker than they are. We need to keep using the width of the field and keep going all the way, and when we come back rewards will be there.'

"And they stuck to that and they played that. We recycled the ball a lot and denied them possession. It was just outstanding."

Scores:

Sunnybank 85

Tries: Ole Avei 3, Josh Afu 2, Ben Lucas 2, Tim Sampson, Henari Veratau, Digby Ioane, Ewan McGregor, Liam Bibo
    Conversions: Ben Lucas 11
    Penalties: Ben Lucas 1

Gold Coast 19
    Tries: Bo Paraha, Sam Batty, Waitai Walker
    Conversions: Marshall Milroy 2

Lucas stars for Sunnybank

July 28, 2007

SURPRISE Rugby World Cup contender Ben Lucas demanded an instant Super 14 contract by spearheading Sunnybank to a stunning 85-19 Queensland grand final rout of Gold Coast.

The unheralded five-eighth showed why Australia coach John Connolly was impressed by his lightning pace and evasive skills with a two-try, 35-point haul against the hapless Breakers.

Lucas set the tone by burning the defence to score and also set up a try to No.8 Josh Afu within nine minutes to put the Dragons on route to a record-breaking cakewalk.

Although without Super 14 experience, the 19-year-old was among the short-list Connolly's selection panel considered as Stephen Larkham's understudy for the World Cup in France.

Lucas, rumoured to be in the sights of rugby league clubs as a goalkicking halfback, has only been offered a top-line academy contract by the Reds for 2008.

But on today's performance the 80kg pocket rocket will seriously threaten the likes of Berrick Barnes and Quade Cooper for Queensland's No.10 jersey if he ignores expected interstate advances to stay at Ballymore.

Barnes narrowly won the last berth for the trip to France from New South Wales duo Sam Norton-Knight and Kurtley Beale and while he has a superior boot, Lucas showed he has the attacking game for Super rugby.

The Australian sevens player also showed toughness and courage in shaking off a bone-rattling hit by 106kg centre Lloyd Johansson.

When Lucas skipped over for his second try in the 53rd minute, the Dragons (64-7) had already broken a host of grand final scoring records in the 108-year history of the Hospitals Cup.

Giving him the ball was Reds tight-head Rodney Blake, a controversial World Cup omission, who celebrated the try with a cheeky pat of the head of would-be tackler Marshall Milroy.

Fellow Queensland front-rower Greg Holmes lasted 65 minutes in his comeback from shoulder surgery and will savour another two games in the Australian Rugby Championship to get his match fitness back for the World Cup.

The predictable and clueless Coast had no answer to the attacking onslaught and was also its own worst enemy with a terrible kicking game and Milroy missing an early penalty attempt from in-front.

One-Test winger Digby Ioane displayed his improved handling among his lightning speed for a first-half try while his older nephew, Reds third-string hooker, Ole Avei scored a hat-trick.

Skipper Tim Sampson bid farewell to club rugby in style with a try and producing a pivotal kicking game which helped give territorial dominance.

For Breakers skipper and former Test lock Garrick Morgan, 37, his swansong was one to forget as his side bled 12 tries.

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    My sympathy for garrick morgan, but holy crap, what a floooooging (for a grandfinal it was unbelievable), they obviously turned up to play...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    WHAT A FLOGGING!!!