Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Players going to Europe

vCash

Thumbs down Players going to Europe

Is it me or are there a lot of players going to Europe (or just Perpignan and Toulon)?
    George (Toulon), Stephen (Edinburg), Jeremy (Gloucetser) and Chris (Glasgow) thankfully seem to be the only top level Australian players disappearing for the big dollar.
    New Zealand and South Africa appear to be taking a bit of a hammering:

SA
    Percy Montgomery Perpignan
    Ashwin Willemse Perpignan
    Gerrie Britz Perpignan
    Bobby Skinstad Perpignan
    Schalk Burger Perpignan

Marius Joubert Clermont-Avergne
    John Smit Clermont-Avergne

Victor Matfield Toulon
    Lawrence Sephaka Toulon

Frikkie Walsh Montpellier
    Warren Britz Montpellier

Butch James Bath
    De Wet Barry Harlequins
    Joe van Niekerk Northampton Saints
    Brent Russell Saracens

NZ
    Tana Umaga Toulon
    Ali Williams Toulon
    Anton Oliver Toulon

Byron Kelleher Tolouse

Rico Gear Worcester
    Sam Tuitupou Worcester
    Greg Rawlinson Worcester
    Aaron Mauger Leicester
    Chris Jack Saracens
    Carl Hayman Newcastle
    Clarke Dermody London Irish
    Luke McAlister Sale
    Marty Holah Ospreys

Some appear only to be linked at the moment but I think they want the money.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    you can't blame them - professional rugby players of this new millennium don't have the advantages that their previous amateur forefathers who had to earn a living so a lot of them had or gained qualifications whilst they were playing. Professional sportsmen of this day and age have to earn enough money to allow for their after rugby life. So a Superannuation tour of Europe is the way to go. I am sure if they could get that sort of money at home they would stay.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I always find it odd when they talk about Australian players in this big exodus. It does really only seem to be the 4 of them at the moment and realistically its time for George and Steve it's not like they are bright young stars anymore. I think in the coming years less and less with go over for the cash with the ARC and a new S14 team providing more opportunities to press for Wallabies selection (and a bigger Aus A timetable with the PNC).

In general I'd say the cut in pay they get staying here is offset by the fact that a) most Australians are highly proud and would salivate at representing their country with the Wallabies and b) playing in mainland Europe provides something of a language concern plus playing in the UK the weather is completely miserable. Give me sunny, sunny Oz anyday.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    You are right Exile, besides when these players leave it just makes a bit more room for younger talent to come through and that is something that the ARU is trying to acheive. Win win as far as I can see.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Absolutely, plus we get some star players who are still a big draw, which as I've mentioned elsewhere will help profile - and ticket sales! - of rugby over here.

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    No. 8 - Its not you OK.

They are all player at the tail end of their careers and after the RWC tilt they will go and have one or two final seasons on HUGE money. Bit like topping up the super fund.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    No. 8 - Its not you OK.

They are all player at the tail end of their careers and after the RWC tilt they will go and have one or two final seasons on HUGE money. Bit like topping up the super fund.

Luke Mcalister is still young & nowhere near the tail end of his career
    A worrying trend For NZ rugby I feel

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    OK, sorry - MOST are coing to the end of their careers.
    Even so - when your offer close to six figures a season, local NZ rugby just can't compete financially.
    Its hitting Aust as well, just not as much (NZ has a larger pool of high quality player I feel).
    the only good thing BD-GF may be that it should provide openings for new up coming youngsters.
    I also think France will suffer from having too many forigners and not developing their youngsters.

Yes it is a bit sad, But I don't think it will be a 'disaster' for NZ rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter
    Luke Mcalister is still young & nowhere near the tail end of his career
    A worrying trend For NZ rugby I feel
    Good point fella's. There are quite a number of these at the peak and tail end of their careers Victor Matfield, Percy Montegomery, Aaron Mauger and Anton Oliver.
    But good for us!
    Worrying for the NZRFU with the likes of Rico Gear (29), Greg Rawlinson (28), Clarke Dermody (27) and Sam Tuitupou (25) (I hate him for what he did to Hilly!) have got Rugby years left in them.
    Same as SARU with Ashwin Willemse (26), Schalk Burger (24), Marius Joubert (28) and Butch James(28).

I remember when Scott Staniforth shipped out because of the league converts, Graeme Bond, David Pusey, Sam Payne all disappeared at the same time - not so much for loot but for opportunity.
    THANK GOD FOR THE FORCE - IT HAS GIVEN SOME OF THOSE PLAYERS AND MORE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY HERE IN AUSTRALIA.

I would like to see the Force bring home this monster

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by no.8
    Sam Tuitupou (25) (I hate him for what he did to Hilly!) have got Rugby years left in them.
    I think you are mistaking him for Rua Tipoki. Good point though. Truth be told I am loving the fact that the Blues are losing 2 locks in Rawlinson and Williams and 2 inside centres in Tuitupou and McAlister. It's bound to cause headaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I think you are mistaking him for Rua Tipoki. Good point though. Truth be told I am loving the fact that the Blues are losing 2 locks in Rawlinson and Williams and 2 inside centres in Tuitupou and McAlister. It's bound to cause headaches.
    We dont lose much with the departure of Rawlinson & Williams as more capable players are coming up through the ranks in the NPC.
    Tuitupou is definitely a big loss but McAlister hasnt signed any contract with Sale yet...so it's all pure specualtion at the moment. But if he does go, the Blues still have Nacewa who is more than capable of playing at 12.

Besides, this is Auckland we're talking about mate....the breeding ground of future All Blacks. As soon as 1 goes, another 10 come calling.

Save Water..........Drink Beer

vCash
    Just like Perth, Eh?
    'Cept it's locks here.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal
    We dont lose much with the departure of Rawlinson & Williams as more capable players are coming up through the ranks in the NPC.
    Tuitupou is definitely a big loss but McAlister hasnt signed any contract with Sale yet...so it's all pure specualtion at the moment. But if he does go, the Blues still have Nacewa who is more than capable of playing at 12.

Besides, this is Auckland we're talking about mate....the breeding ground of future All Blacks. As soon as 1 goes, another 10 come calling.
    Truth be told I don't rate either of them that highly. But I still think it will have an impact. As for McAlister, unless he is being a complete idiot to try and screw more money out of the NZRU he's as good as gone. And yes Isa Nacewa can play 12, but he is probably better served at 10 as he played this season.

It would be ignorant and one-eyed of me to not acknowledged we have copped 2 out of 2 hammerings from the Blues, but I watched the NPC last year because I was living in Auckland (and had free SKY) and I stand by it when I say that I think they're going to slide a few next year.

Apprentice
    vCash
    another aussie in france graydon staniforth has re-signed with newly promoted aurillac [scored over 250 pts this season] for 2 years brother nigel left nsw to play for counties in nz npc be interesting to have a list of aussies playing in japan uk & europe etc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    Truth be told I don't rate either of them that highly. But I still think it will have an impact. As for McAlister, unless he is being a complete idiot to try and screw more money out of the NZRU he's as good as gone. And yes Isa Nacewa can play 12, but he is probably better served at 10 as he played this season.

It would be ignorant and one-eyed of me to not acknowledged we have copped 2 out of 2 hammerings from the Blues, but I watched the NPC last year because I was living in Auckland (and had free SKY) and I stand by it when I say that I think they're going to slide a few next year.
    Mate we still got Flavell, Brad Mika, Anthony Boric, Angus McDonald, Jay Williams, Jerome Kaino who are all capable replacement at lock.
    As for sliding in the next few years just because of the departure of two locks & a 2nd 5/8 is laughable. From the Auckland & Harbour squad named for the NPC, I could name a XV strong enough to maybe win the Super 14 next year and compete well in the years after.

1. Tony Woodcock / Saimone Taumoepeau / James Afoa
    2. Keven Mealamu / Derren Witcombe / Lance Poching
    3. John Afoa / Chris Heard / Ben Afeaki
    4. Troy Flavell / Brad Mika /
    5. Anthony Boric / Jay Williams / Kurtis Haiu
    6. Jerome Kaino / Angus McDonald
    7. Daniel Braid / Onosai Tololima Auva'a
    8. Nick Williams
    9. Steve Devine / Taniela Moa
    10. Nick Evans / Lachie Munroe / Jamie Helleur
    11. Joe Rokocoko / David Smith / Rudi Wulf
    12. Luke McAlister / Isa Nacewa
    13. Isaia Toeava / Anthony Tuitavake / Ben Atiga
    14. Doug Howlett / Viliame Waqaseduadua
    15. George Pisi / Brent Ward

So you see, most of them are still in their early 20s or thereabouts.

Save Water..........Drink Beer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast