Thread: Nick Cummins Signs with the Western Force

vCash

Nick Cummins Signs with the Western Force

Australian Sevens try-scoring machine Nick Cummins has joined the Emirates Western Force on a two year contract.

Described by Australian Sevens coach Glen Ella as the best Sevens prospect since Matt Giteau, Cummins rejected interest from two other unions and a National Rugby League franchise in his move west.

The 96kg Cummins is a product of the St Francis School in Brisbane, where he starred in the swimming pool and on the athletics track, as well as on the rugby field.

He represented Queensland Schoolboys in rugby and played NTRA Touch Football for Australia.

The outside back played a season of Randwick colts before being selected for the Australian Sevens team, where he finished the 2007 IRB Sevens World Series as the nation’s top tryscorer.

He has been playing first grade with Randwick since returning from representative duties.

Cummins said he was delighted to be a part of the Emirates Western Force rugby program, and was also looking forward to playing for Perth Spirit in the Australian Rugby Championship.

“The Force is a team on the move, and playing and training under coach John Mitchell and alongside guys like Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd and Scott Staniforth will be a great learning environment for me,” he said.

“I’m really looking forward to the opportunity of developing my game and being part of a successful team,” he said.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach John Mitchell described Cummins as a “salt of the earth” type of the character with plenty of natural talent.

“He’s tall and rangy with lots of acceleration. He’s also not afraid of the fray, and we like that,” Mitchell said.

“We’ll look at Nick’s potential at outside centre but he also provides us with a new option for the wing now that Digby Ioane has gone.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Disclaimer: Although the contents of this post are from a RugbyWA News Feed, no RugbyWA staff member or representative actually made this post - the username and avatar are used purely to identify the source of the information.

vCash
    Here's another player who will prob be playing for Perth Spirit.

$crew digby, we've got Cummins. Hope to see him play sometime and not be like Brett Stapleton and not get a force game at all.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    This appears to be a massive signing for the future, well done to Mitch and the crew for stitching up the deal and welcome aboard Nick

Here's an article from earlier in the year that I previously posted about Nick:

Meet the new Matt Giteau

Daniel Lane, Rugby Heaven
    Sunday, May 27, 2007

He's played just one full season of colts, a sprinkling of first-grade games and a few matches for the Australian sevens team but that's been more than enough to make Nick Cummins rugby's hottest property.

While Kurtley Beale, Quade Cooper, Lachlan Turner and David Pocock are at the vanguard of the Australian Rugby Union's "generation next", Cummins is being pursued by three Super 14 franchises and big-spending NRL club the Sydney Roosters.

He's 98 kilograms of talent and power. Australia's sevens coach Glen Ella added weight to Cummins's appeal when he compared him with Wallabies superstar Matt Giteau.

Former Waratahs utility back Duncan McRae, a member of Randwick's coaching staff, said Cummins is only two seasons away from a senior representative jumper - provided he continued to work hard and to learn.

The only flaw, it seems, is he's still coming to grips with the intricacies of senior rugby. Indeed, that was part of Ella's rationale to pitchfork him into the national sevens team.

"Nick is as good a prospect as I've had in the sevens since Matt Giteau," Ella said. "He has enormous natural ability. He is strong and he's a vicious defender.

"Last year I was told to look at a kid in the Randwick Colts. When I saw him, Nick was picked for the Australian sevens team.

"He just needs a greater understanding of the game to reach his potential and sevens will help him in terms of one-on-one defence, beating the man and running lines.

"It will definitely help to develop Nick's breakdown skills."

Although three Australian Super 14 franchises are vying for his signature, Cummins admitted there was a long, hard road ahead of him.

"It's been hard but plenty of people are helping me out and I appreciate it," he said.

"After I arrived here I needed to learn plenty about backing up in attack, improving my one-on-one defence and developing a greater level of fitness. I've never done weights before.

"It's great to hear people say I could make a name for myself but I know it is up to me to go as far as I can because no one else can do it for me."

Cummins joined Randwick at the beginning of 2006 via Bundaberg after a Galloping Greens talent scout cornered him in a pub after a game for the Buccaneers.

"I spoke to a bloke from Randwick and he suggested I give Sydney a go," he said.

"I saw Randwick play Eastwood when I was in Sydney on a schoolboy trip once so I was aware that it was a big deal."

Cummins is still as green as Randwick's famous myrtle jumper, but he's been given a glimpse into the lifestyle that awaits him if he can make the grade.

He has been to South Africa, Dubai, New Zealand, the United States, Hong Kong and Adelaide with the national sevens team.

"I'd never been overseas before but the sevens has allowed me to see some great places and to sample the local culture," he said. "What's really amazed me is how we are asked to sign autographs because the locals see us in an Australian rugby shirt. If only they knew, eh?"

Perhaps. But if Cummins can live up to expectations, his signature could one day be worth something. And that might happen sooner rather than later.

Nicholas Cummins
    Australian Sevens Player Profile:

Club Randwick
    Position Outside Back
    Nickname Nicko
    Height 189cm
    Weight 95kg
    Date of Birth 05/10/1987
    Representative honours QLD Schools, Australian Touch Football, Australian Sevens, Emirates Western Force Contract
    Other interests/talents Surfing, touch football

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    That is awesome, and I wondered about the possibility when I originally saw the article, but I bet it causes some (very understandable) moaning in the East. It would appear that we are picking up some very good players within the apprenticeship program, although I wonder how many spots will be left if the ARC throws up some talent. What we probably need now is a good S14 ready wing and we'll be close to right.

As an aside, does anyone know what the situation is with that young Pally player, the spelling of whose name was the subject of much discussion. This probably eats into his prospects unless he is strictly Academy material, which may not be enough if he is being pursued by NPC and Currie cup coaches.

Last edited by AndyS; 13-07-07 at 12:19.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    OK thats two signings so far.The question needs to be asked.Who is leaving or not having their contracts renewed?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Cannon, O'Young, Ioane and Stapleton for starters BG?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Matt Windle as well I believe. Also, were Daruda's plans confirmed?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Going by the player profile pages you are right about Windle Andy.
    The names still listed are:

Richard Brown
    Pekahou Cowan
    Ryan Cross
    Scott Daruda
    Luke Doherty
    Scott Fava
    Matt Giteau
    Gareth Hardy
    Matt Henjak
    James Hilgendorf
    Tom Hockings - Apprentice
    Matt Hodgson
    Luke Holmes
    Jon McGrath - Apprentice
    Tai McIsaac
    Lachlan MacKay
    Drew Mitchell
    Pat O'Connor
    Junior Pelesasa
    David Pocock
    David Pusey
    Haig Sare
    Angus Scott
    Nathan Sharpe
    Cameron Shepherd
    Scott Staniforth
    Troy Takiari
    Rudi Vedelago
    AJ Whalley

The names missing from Season 2007:

Brendan Cannon,
    Digby Ioane,
    Chris O'Young,
    Brett Stapleton,
    Matt Windle,
    Michael Dan - Apprentice

You would assume that our Reserve Scrumhalf would have gone on to a full contract which leaves the three Senior Apprentice positions for Tom Hockings, Dane Haylett-Petty and James O’Connor.
    So far we have recruited Tamaiti Horua and Nick Cummins so, by my reckoning, we are still due for two more recruitments to reach the full squad again.
    I would suggest to any Hookers and Scrumhalves involved in the ARC that you may want to play your best ever Rugby when at Members Equity this year!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Dane Haylett-Petty and James O’Connor were signed to the Academy - is that the same as a Force apprentice contract?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I get me confused as well Andy, can one of geeky types put a flow chart together showing the RugbyWA set up???

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    Dane Haylett-Petty and James O’Connor were signed to the Academy - is that the same as a Force apprentice contract?

dont think so

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    You would assume that our Reserve Scrumhalf would have gone on to a full contract which leaves the three Senior Apprentice positions for Tom Hockings, Dane Haylett-Petty and James O’Connor.
    So far we have recruited Tamaiti Horua and Nick Cummins so, by my reckoning, we are still due for two more recruitments to reach the full squad again.
    I would suggest to any Hookers and Scrumhalves involved in the ARC that you may want to play your best ever Rugby when at Members Equity this year!
    Yeah its a definite that the 2 spots that are open for a hooker and a scrum-half will be taken up by top performers in the ARC. The Reds have gone and filled their last with Turinui so they've balls up yet again (potentially).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My understanding of terminology is that there are Academy Players who are also Apprentices and then there are three "Senior Apprentices" who are part of the Senior Training Squad however also spend time with the Academy Squad, especially during the season when the main Squad is on the road.
    Those closer to the action may want to clear that up if not accurate.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yes so much for the wing/centre and lock/back row positions, what about the hooker and srum-half positions? Is there a time limit for the 'signings'?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I doubt it. Why would you have the ARC if you couldn't come along and recruit all of the goodies at the end?