Thread: Shepherd plays the waiting game

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Shepherd plays the waiting game

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/rugby-union-news-display/shepherd-plays-the-waiting-game-30816

10/07/2007 7:28:02 PM
    Steve Orme

Sportal

Wallabies and Western Force winger Cameron Shepherd has suffered another setback in his bid to recover from a knee injury he suffered in April.

After eight-weeks on the sidelines the 23-year-old returned to the field for Australia A in the Pacific Nations Cup tournament last month, but his comeback was short-lived.

"We got another scan done last week and unfortunately the whole PC (Posterior Crucient) ligament has totally snapped now," Shepherd said.

"I've been told that's actually a good thing meaning that instead of running around with the tendons stretching and the pain coming (as a result), the whole ligament's now gone which is quite common in a lot of rugby players and other sportsman."

"Now it's just about me strengthening the muscles around where the ligament attaches and just getting them so strong that the knee can cope without having that ligament there," he said.

While Shepherd conceded his extended period away from the game has been frustrating he remains confident a return to the field is not far off.

"It's moving forward, it's obviously a little bit disappointing to have moved so little in ten weeks but I'm definitely on the up now and hopefully I can get it right and get back on the field as soon as possible," Shepherd said.

The youngster was in spectacular form in his 11 matches for the Force during the 2007 Super 14 campaign and the timing of his injury could not have been worse with the World Cup fast approaching.

"It's obviously very disappointing to have missed the whole Tri Nations because I thought I put myself in a good position after Super 14 to play a few Test matches this year but that's just the way life goes and the way rugby goes."

"I'm trying to stay positive about it keep myself physically fit and strong and if it does come that time where I get a chance to pull on the Wallaby gold again I've got to be ready to go," Shepherd said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Sounds like his World Cup hopes are dashed now.Hope he will be fit for APC games

vCash
    the whole ligament's now gone which is quite common in a lot of rugby players and other sportsman."
    Well you learn something every day, don't you? Followed or was involved with in some way, the two Rugby codes most of my life and I never knew that you could play on with a knee ligament completely snapped and not have surgery.

I'da thought it might be like a lot of other injuries - you can collect complicating injuries trying to compensate.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I had heard that it was better to fully snap it but I assumed that was because it was easier to fix, not to be able to do with out it
    I agree Shasta, you would have to worry about the flow on effect, it has certainly been the case with my knees...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah, you'd imagine it might cause problems - guess they can do a lot with a knee support and/or judicious strapping though...

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Player
    vCash
    poor bastard, he would have cemented his spot in the wallabies easy after the S14 season, but i guess there is still time. hope he gets back to his best soon, cos hes a pleasure to watch when hes on fire, i genuinely believe he is as good as anybody to watch when hes goign..

vCash
    Tough break (no pun intended) for the form player of the season 07, had to happen at the end of the season too, good timing for the force, not so good for the wallabies...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder what the effect of that will be post-rugby...fine while he is playing and keeping the compensating muscles strong, but I can't imagine he can leave it 10 years then get the ligament fixed.

vCash
    I was surprised by Sheps' take on his recovery so I Googled the injury. It's at

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...orcruciate.htm

The strengthening he mentioned is the treatment provided no other knee damage is evident. But unfortunately it also sounds as though these injuries leave you with a "dicky knee" which may be prone to further injury.

That would explain his tentative displays for Norths & Oz A.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes is not as bad as it could be.
    The Posterior Cruciate (PCL) is there to stop the leg (Tibia) sliding forward under the Thigh (Femur) - but the knee cap and tendons are in the way so they 'can' do that job.
    The Anterior Cruciate (ACL) is worse to snap as it stops the leg sliding backward - no other real support.

He will eventually need to have it either re-attached OR replaced. Thats still only around 8 to 12 weeks recovery - he may fit it in post RWC and next S14, then take 6 months off.

Still - changes all his balance, rotation, steping and kicking abilities.

Player
    vCash
    if he doesnt make the orld cup squad then he should get it operated on straight away, give it maximum recovery time then look forward to next super 14 season.... but still very unfortunate