Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rugby ratings on Ch7

vCash

Rugby ratings on Ch7

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83
    channel 7 is a joke............unfortunately i was not able to get the foxsports coverage last nite
    After 7's decision for Saturdy night I wonder how the TV stations work out what to program when? Do they just go by the ratings? How are ratings effected by the time-slot?

For instance, I wonder how the ratings for Rugby League have been changed since Ch9 lost the AFL. The Sunday League game was shifted from 3 o'clock Monday morning to 2:00pm on Sunday. How the Wallabies matches have gone in the ratings since 7's decision, after regaining the AFL, to put them on late night instead of prime time?

Say a director at a television channel has a bias towards a certain sport or a vested interest in that sport, say being paid to appear as a panelist on radio, or a guest journo in a newspaper, or is a footy club President. If he were to program rival codes at the worst possible time, he would probably then be able to point to poor ratings as validation if the programming was questioned.It's a bit like say, a government inquiry into a new stadium. You can get the outcome you want if you control the inputs.

Chicken and egg.

Perhaps also, free-to-air Rugby has poorer ratings because so many of us got fed up and subscribed to Foxtel.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I know in the past when the question was asked of 7 about delayed Rugby in WA and the answer was that they WILL NOT compete when a local AFL team is being shown on a rival station.

I don't think that was the case last week (as I was in Melbourne) so I'm not sure what the excuse was for last week....this week against the Eagles match I do actually "understand", not that I agree.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Yep Shasta, I think that FTA TV is dying.
    They won't telecast live events - cause they cost so much- then after they loose the rights to pay TV they have nothing left to sell.

[QUOTE=The InnFORCEr]I know in the past when the question was asked of 7 about delayed Rugby in WA and the answer was that they WILL NOT compete when a local AFL team is being shown on a rival station.[QUOTE]

That arguement holds no water InnForcer, the AFL was being shown on a rival network and finished about 8PM, not long after KO in Sydney - they could easily have done a live telecast and not lost a cent in revenue.

If they are worried about AFL in WA they could have done it at 8:30 after TEN had wrapped up their footy coverage.
    No - 7 jsut is not interested in Rugby full stop. Like normal, they buy the rights to stop opposition from telecasting.

The ARU should only sell TV rights to a national telecaster, who will actually telecast games.

Last edited by hopep; 09-07-07 at 12:08. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    SBS

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    This is the response I got last year 2006 when the question was asked.

Hi Matt,

Some of the upcoming Rugby Union Tests will be telecast live and others will be delayed. The games that are not live will be delayed due to News commitments or the Tests going head-to-head with a West Coast Eagles AFL match. In this case, the Rugby telecast will commence straight after the Eagles game, so that more people will have the opportunity to watch it, therefore exposing the game to more people. In the past the ratings figures have shown that up against a West Coast Eagles or Fremantle Dockers game the Test telecasts have attracted very few viewers.

With the Tests that are up against an AFL game, (but not a West Coast Eagles or Fremantle Dockers match), the test will be telecast earlier against the telecasted AFL game.

Once again thank you for your email.

Regards

Ray Wardrop

Program and Communications Manager

Channel Seven Perth

I then asked where you could find that info and this was the response.

Hi Matt,

The currency that all Australian television stations use to measure the numbers of viewers of programs is an electronic peoplemeter system. This system is of international standard and has been scientifically proven to be the most accurate way of measuring a viewing audience. You can learn more about this system by visiting www.oztam.com.au.

Unfortunately in this business you can't please everyone all the time. We do attempt to please as many people as we can, but we will never be able to cater for everyone at the same time. To appeal to the largest number of people as possible we use the abovementioned peoplemeter system to gauge what programs are the most popular to viewers.

Regarding rugby's popularity in WA, certainly there is a large number of people who are interested in the game which is evidenced by the Western Force's membership which I believe is approximately 25 - 30,000 people. However, in relative numbers, that is under 2% of the WA population. We realise that there are non-members who also want to watch the game so we base our scheduling decisions on the statistics provided by the peoplemeter system as mentioned above.

To provide you with the most recent historical statistics (not last year's or the 90's), I refer you to just a few days ago. Last Sunday Channel Nine telecast the West Coast Eagles versus Carlton game on a delayed basis and that game attracted an audience that peaked at 404,000 viewers in Perth alone. Conversely, our live telecast of the rugby came 4th in its timeslot with an average audience of just 128,000 viewers. It was beaten by Nine News, 60 Minutes, Backyard Blitz, Big Brother, ABC News and The Queen at 80 on the ABC and yet none of these programs came anywhere near eclipsing the audience of the West Coast game.

Therefore, based on these statistics a rugby telecast would have absolutely no chance of getting an acceptable audience against a West Coast telecast. Because of this we have taken the decision to give the rugby the very best opportunity to get an audience by scheduling it straight after the West Coast telecast concludes.

This is a very comprehensive, reasoned and statistically correct response I have provided to your questions below, however I have a feeling that none of it will make a difference to how you feel about our schedule of rugby telecasts. You are passionate about the subject and good on you for it. As I said before, we can't please everyone all the time, we try to please the most amount of people we can and telecasting the game at 9.30pm, straight after the West Coast Game, we believe, is the best possible option for our viewers.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Ray Wardrop

Program and Communications Manager

Channel Seven Perth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    I know in the past when the question was asked of 7 about delayed Rugby in WA and the answer was that they WILL NOT compete when a local AFL team is being shown on a rival station.
    I could understand that if the reasoning is they can better sell advertising to recoup cost of Rugby rights by using the next best time-slot. But nobody will ever convince me that 11:30pm is the next best. There seems to be something else at play here.

Just saw the response you got last year TiF. I might write to him and ask why 11:30pm instead of straight after the AFL. I think the fact that som many of us watch on Foxtel skews the figures too. I'll ask him if Foxtel is even on the people meters.

Last edited by shasta; 09-07-07 at 12:30.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes Shasta they must be working on the prinicple that - if they telecast it really late, nothing else will be on so the 2,000 people still awake in Perth (and at home) will watch it and then they can get 100% of the ratings.

vCash
    Well they have changed their plans for this year.
    On June 30 on 10 the Dorkers finished at 8pm. followed by St Kilda v Richmond.
    On 9 we had Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.

On July 7 on 10 the Eagles finished at 8.30pm.
    On 9 there was The Wedding Planner followed by Tennis.

I wonder how their customers who have paid big bucks for advertising feel about this? Running the Tests as late as 7 have chosen to, most people would record the game and fast forward through the adds. Money well spent???

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    I wonder how their customers who have paid big bucks for advertising feel about this? Running the Tests as late as 7 have chosen to, most people would record the game and fast forward through the adds. Money well spent???
    They will just say that they get enough bang for their buck on east coast I'm afraid.

vCash
    The adds run in WA are from WA companies.

Posted via space

vCash
    really?

Like who, we had better let them know!

vCash
    I'd have to go through the tape. I F-Fed through the adds

Posted via space

vCash
    I have a mate that is Chief of Staff at Seven Perth (moved from Nine this year), but he is away until next Monday. I'll ask some questions on his return.

vCash
    It would be great to hear the "Company Line" and his own thoughts about this

Posted via space

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    why the fcuk not?? that's the only time you can compete?!?!?!?!?!?!!

You'd have to be a complete moron to think if you replayed the game hours later you are going to pull a decent audience!! Any serious fan will have found a way to view it live, not wait until 10:30+ to view it!!

That logic would only make sense to a complete dip$hit!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast