Thread: Govt supports new stadium

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Govt supports new stadium

http://blogs.thewest.com.au/general/...s-new-stadium/
    Quote Originally Posted by The West
    The State Government now thinks rebuilding Subiaco Oval is a bad idea, after earlier supporting the plan most favoured by the WA Football Commission.

Premier Alan Carpenter and his Sports Minister John Kobelke say a new stadium should be built on one of the two preferred sites nominated by the Langoulant task force - Kitchener Park or East Perth.

“I kind of was sort of hoping that we would be able to do a redevelopment of Subiaco Oval but I don’t believe that’s the case any more,” Mr Carpenter said.

“I actually think the redeveloping Subiaco Oval would be a patch-up job which would go on for years. A new stadium is a better option.”

Has the time come for the WA Football Commission to accept the umpire’s decision, and build a completely new 60,000 seat stadium?
    “I kind of was sort of hoping that we would be able to do a redevelopment of Subiaco Oval but I don’t believe that’s the case any more,” Mr Carpenter said.

So he doesn't believe he is kinda sorta hoping anymore? It's little wonder this is going to take for ever... The end result will kind of sort of likely be a sub standard one too....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Don't you just love strong decicive leadership

vCash
    Redevelopment of Subi would mean redevelopement of ME too methinks - hold out Football Commission - wish RugbyWA would state what their/our position is

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wish he would change his mind on daylight saving....

vCash
    they should sort it out now. the longer they take to make up their mind the longer we have to wait for a new stadium

vCash
    nice to see (at least i hope it remains this way) that the government is going to torpedo the WAFC

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is just jockeying for negotiating position, except that the government may well be trying to totally alienate the WAFC to give themselves an excuse for doing nothing at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    the government may well be trying to totally alienate the WAFC to give themselves an excuse for doing nothing at all.
    I wonder if RugbyWA is still holding out for a rectangular stadium?

The WAFC/AFL seem hell bent on keeping control of any venue they use, contrary to the positions of most media commentators, most of their supporters and most AFL supporting non-members.

You may well be right about the governments tactics in light of that. But I also suspect the WAFC/AFL are stonewalling as a tactic to negotiate some sort of control over any new venue.

If the WAFC insist on cutting off their noses, perhaps the pollies will find the fortitude to uphold the undertaking they gave in support the Force franchise bid in the first place. I won't hold my breath.

vCash
    Being a bit thick like - if they committed to $25 million in the orginal tender documents - can they renege on this - was that a legally binding contract - as opposed to the Verbal ping pong which is happening at the moment to try and guage public opinion and thus come to a decision?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'm not so sure it is a case of cutting off their noses. My understanding of the situation is that it is not the AFL being affected, it is the WAFL. The WAFC control Subi, with the Eagles, Dockers and Rugby all leasing the ground for their respective home games to provide the primary source of income to fund the WAFL. The move to the new stadium would mean a total restructure of the WAFL funding structure, probably making it a handout from the AFL. If they wanted to keep the Vics out of the WA situation, it would effectively require the Eagles and Dockers to pay ground rent twice (once to the new stadium, once to cover the lost funding to the WAFL).

I have a certain sympathy for the plight of the local form of boganball, but it is somewhat tempered by their pillaging of S14 and test rugby when our code could use the money even more than theirs.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I have a certain sympathy for the plight of the local form of boganball, but it is somewhat tempered by their pillaging of S14 and test rugby when our code could use the money even more than theirs.
    Absolutely!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Eagles, Dockers and Rugby all leasing the ground for their respective home games to provide the primary source of income to fund the WAFL.
    Hadn't thought of it like that. But it's still the left hand paying the right. I thought they were rubbing it in a while back re using the Force rent to fund junior development rather than fund the WAFL. Whatever, there's no sympathy here. The AFL is hungry for dollars, regardless of what's fair - even to their own stakeholders. They can afford to look after their own.

boganball

vCash
    ahahahahahahahahaha "boganball"............... best call ever hit the nail right on the head. "pass the winnine reds and a tinnie of emu export were off to the boganball" typical west coast suppoters comment