Thread: Football Commission: 'don't rule out Subiaco Oval'

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Football Commission: 'don't rule out Subiaco Oval'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...?section=sport
    Posted Thu Jul 5, 2007 3:00pm AEST

The WA Football Commission chairman, Neale Fong, says the public and stadium taskforce do not understand the Subiaco Oval redevelopment proposal.

The chairman of the West Australian Football Commission, Neale Fong, says a proposal to redevelop Subiaco Oval as the state's premier sporting stadium should not be ruled out.

The Premier, Alan Carpenter, has dismissed the idea of redeveloping Subiaco Oval.

He says the two most viable options for building a new stadium are the old East Perth Power Station site or Kitchener Park in Subiaco.

Dr Fong says the Subiaco Oval redevelopment needs to be clarified as many people do not have a clear understanding of what is proposed.

"I don't believe that the redevelopment proposal that we put forward has been clearly understood, either by the taskforce or by the government or by the community, so I think there is an opportunity for us to better articulate what we are talking about here with the new Subiaco oval development," he said.

"A new stadium's not going to work without football, and obviously football can't do a new stadium. So it's a mutual process, it's one that we'll be working together with, we're going to be insuring that the football position is maintained and indeed that's what this is all about. At the end of the day, a new stadium is here so we can actually have stronger sports, football and other sports."

The Sports Minister, John Kobelke, says the Football Commission needs to let go of the idea of redeveloping Subiaco Oval.

"I think we really need to get on with what is the real game and that is buildinig a new stadium either at East Perth or Kitchener Park, and I think it is about time the Football Commission stopped trying to flog a dead horse," he said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Shaddup Fong
    You just been bitch slapped by the Premier

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry Fong......I have ruled out you and the WAFC as being a Hostile Landlord.....stay at Subi if ya want......we're outta there...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Shaddup Fong
    You just been bitch slapped by the Premier
    Fongy said Brian told him what to say

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    Dr Fong

"I don't believe that the redevelopment proposal that we put forward has been clearly understood, either by the taskforce or by the government or by the community, so I think there is an opportunity for us to better articulate what we are talking about here with the new Subiaco oval development," he said.
    This pretty much says it all

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Hold on, hold on, hold on.....Let me just clear something up here. We have a sport which has circa 40K crowd at every game for 22 weeks of the year (not to mention many other major events), they are salary capped and only pay $1 per year rental for the stadium. How come they can't afford their own stadium? If you had a soccer team in the UK with that sort of income I'm pretty sure they would be running one of the top teams with expensive players out stripping any player management salary budget of two AFL teams put together. Not to mention owning and managing their own facilities, i.e. stadium and training grounds/facilities.

I know that it is a simplistic way to look at it but you have to admit there is a lot (!!!!!!!!) of money going in and not a hell of a lot to show for it.

Not surprising that they want to keep their books private.

Just happy to be here