Thread: They wear black in Melbourne - Growden's take on the game...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

They wear black in Melbourne - Growden's take on the game...

Greg Growden
    Monday, July 2, 2007

MONDAY MAUL

ON FRIDAY, the Wallabies meandered onto the Melbourne Cricket Ground for their captain's run. As they headed out in their kit, which resembles Wee Willie Winky Wallaby pyjamas, a loud voice screamed out: "Go the All Blacks!"

For seconds these words reverberated around a near-empty stadium.

Then they began playing a game of touch football. Up went the kick-off, and down it went when Stephen Larkham made an almighty fumble.

At the back of the Members' Stand, a large group of New Zealand supporters were on a guided tour of the ground. They saw the Larkham fumble, and ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaad with delight. The players even stopped to work out where the chortling was coming from.

The Wallabies thought they were in friendly territory. Clearly not.

On to game night. Thousands upon thousands, all decked out in black were marching in unison towards the G. One baffled woman, clearly scared that she was about to be mown down by the Black Battalion, waves the white flag of surrender, well, actually a moth-eaten Wallabies scarf, and asks: "Is there actually anyone left in New Zealand?"

"Yeah," one puffed-up South Island farmer, who gave away his origins by having a frayed flannelette shirt bulging out over his blick trackpants bellows, "that Aussie loser who runs the corner dairy in Oamaru is holding up the fort. Everyone else is here. No one wants to miss out on seeing us beat you here, eh."

The Test began. The Wallabies were awarded a penalty. Stirling Mortlock aimed up - and was met with a booming bellow of boos. Where were we? Carisbrook? Eden Park? Jade Stadium? Wasn't this supposed to be a home ground for the Wallabies?

No wonder it took the home team of sorts so long to find their bearings, and a successful invasion of the G by the Black Battalion appeared inevitable.

Something happened at half-time, though. Wallabies coach John Connolly must have relaxed them in the dressing room with some sidesplitting Jackie Gleason Honeymooners skits, because they returned to the field with smiles on their dials and an unexpected skip to their step.

Then came several crucial moments. George Gregan hobbled off. Matt Giteau moved to halfback. Scott Staniforth appeared at inside-centre, and suddenly there was a certain spark to the Wallabies back line. They became faster, slicker. Larkham was under less pressure at five-eighth, and they at last looked like a Test back line with a purpose. And, thankfully, several lumbering Australian forwards had been told to stop clogging up the back line after they had decided to camp there during the first half.

Then one too many cynical "let's unfairly kill the ball" fouls at the breakdown by the All Blacks and Carl Hayman was sheepishly heading to the sin bin. Fifteen players against 14 led to 14 points to the home team of sorts, and suddenly we had a real contest.

Then the fatigue factor hit. The All Blacks, who had been to Durban and back in just over a week suddenly looked so, so tired. The Wallabies sensed it, and decided to wear down the clock with one pick and drive after another. Never had a pick and drive looked so beautiful.

Finally, there was silence. The Wallabies looked at each other in disbelief. And the chant started. That hideous chant every Kiwi dreads will begin each and every four years to turn life into a nightmare.

As their team's intellectual, Anton Oliver, so aptly put it on the day of the game: "If New Zealand were to lose a game, the economy goes skyrocketing down. It is a serious thing, but … hey, it is only sport, at the end of the day."

Not in New Zealand.

As the Black Battalion gloomily headed off into the Melbourne black, all they could hear was, "Choke, choke, choke, choke …"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    not bad for "Grumbles Growden"

vCash
    Who wrote it for him?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Jesus, that's the second one he's written in a month that I liked!

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    Jesus, that's the second one he's written in a month that I liked!
    allegedly .. I'm with Jedi.. Who wrote it for him ???

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I thought there seemed to be a lot of cheering for the Ab's during the game on TV, especially when they performed the "kapa o pango" and booing when the Wallabies were kicking for goal in the first half. A decent article by Growden...allegedly

vCash
    I thought one of Mortlocks first half kick attempts was successful because the crowd cheered so loud!

He missed and the crowd was full of kiwis!

I made Happy sad...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I can tell you that the crowd was staggering, complete All Black sections. I would say 65-70% were All Black supporters. It was really scary until the final whistle. They weren't too bad as they left the ground, the still had hope for AC race win to go, but once the Swiss took out race 6, the mood really changed.

In the morning at a jam packed hotel reception full of Kiwis I just made my way to the Concierges Desk and in a voice loud enough for everyone in the hotel could hear I asked "could you please tell me where they are holding the wake for the All Blacks", they didn't find it amusing, and I started a fresh day of celebrations!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Ran into a kiwi mate up here yesterday who was actually graceful in defeat (rare i know), and he actually was backing the wallabies to win (well not really, just said it was the best chance they had), but surprise, surprise, he then commented that the Kiwis will now definately win the world cup because they have now had a loss prior to the main event....
    Kiwis never stop supporting thier team, and some should take my mates lead and show a bit of respect in defeat...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I took great pleasure in wearing my Wallaby jersey into the local mines Wet Mess on Monday night.
    Normally (when there is no match involved or they win) you hear all sorts of (mostly) good natured ribbing from the background but on Monday it was deathly quiet.
    Sitting in a group with two Kiwi mates, with reference to my jersey I said:
    "So, the weekend. I don't think I need to say anything really?"
    The reply was a very measured and quiet:
    "No, you don't need to say anything..."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.