Thread: Reds Starting Lineup

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reds Starting Lineup

Time to get the armchair selectors caps on crew!
    Here's my take on the Reds first pick squad for '06:

1. Greg Holmes
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Rodney Blake
    4. Mark Connors
    5. Hugh McMeniman
    6. David Croft
    7. Tom McVerry
    8. John Roe (c )
    9. Josh Valentine
    10. Julian Huxley
    11. Drew Mitchell
    12. Elton Flatley
    13. Lloyd Johansson
    14. Ben Tune
    15. Chris Latham

16. Anthony Mathison
    17. Sean Hardman
    18. Cameron Treloar
    19. Ben Mowen
    20. Tim Atkinson
    21. Berrick Barnes
    22. Henari Veratau

For squad list go to www.redsrugby.com.au/reds/reds.rugby/page/33744

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's not actually that bad a team. The only concerns though would be with the forward pack.
    An exciting backline however.

vCash
    Yeah indeed, very impressive backline, although a few of them will likely suffer season ending injuries (Tune and Flatley... I'm looking at you guys).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I reckon the Reds have been a bit undersold on their first pick side but unfortunately it's the depth that is the problem, as with all four squads really!
    There's some decent meat in the tight five, they just need someone to teach them to work as a unit I think. Perhaps need some bigger backrowers?
    This pack (above) adds up to 880kg which is in the ballpark for S14.
    They have some great juniors coming through in Ben Mowen (C )(Aus U21 05), Geoff Abram (Aus U21 05), James Horwill (Aus U21 05), Caleb Brown (Aus Schools) and the exciting league convert Berrick Barnes.
    I imagine it was the likes of these that Eddie was refering to in his interview re applying for the coachs job?

vCash
    Like it Burgs - just one little tweak - bring that big ginger monster Cameron Treloar into the pack, put Hughie on the flank and bring big Mitchell Chapman onto the bench. I would David Croft the Flick as well and bring James Sua on the open side.

Croft hasn't impressed me since he took over from (the King of Backrow) David Wilson..........

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Miller Backs Barnes

QUEENSLAND rubgy coach Jeff Miller has seen enough of boom rugby league recruit Berrick Barnes to blood him at five-eighth in the Super 14 opener against New South Wales next month.

Miller, who hands over the Reds' reins to deposed Australia coach Eddie Jones after the Super 14, finds himself blessed with five-eighths, with both Wallaby veteran Elton Flatley and Julian Huxley also in the picture.

Miller will examine all his positional options under match conditions in a pre-season trial against the Blues at Ballymore on Saturday night.

That match will mark Flatley's comeback following yet another concussion, suffered in last year's Tri Nations series.

Barnes, a brilliant schoolboy sportsman, excelled at both rugby codes and cricket, and was chased by both the Reds and the Queensland Bulls.

But he decided to first try his hand with the NRL, spending the 2005 season with Brisbane Broncos, with whom he was held in very high regard.

Miller said Barnes, 19, had quickly settled into his new surrounds and was displaying the confidence needed to take on such a difficult role so soon.

"He's fitted in really well with the guys," he said.

"In fact he's out there bossing some of them around, which is pleasing to see.

"He showed (on tour) in Argentina (late last year) that with a little more work and a few more games under his belt to adjust to the two different defensive lines (league and union) that he could be very good.
    "I've got no qualms about throwing him in."

Flatley, entering his 10th season with the Reds, realises he will have to work hard to keep Barnes out of the No.10 jumper.

"He's a good bloke first and foremost, and very keen to learn," Flatley, who is back doing contact drills and confident of making a smooth comeback, said.

"He's come here (from rugby league) prepared to listen and learn.

"You have to like his enthusiasm and he certainly doesn't lack confidence.

"He communicates very well for a young guy and he's got a very big future."

Flatley meanwhile dismissed concerns he was taking a big risk playing again after experiencing seven concussions in the past four seasons.

"There's been no dramas since and I've been doing full contact the last few weeks without any problems," he said.

"Physically I'm in the best shape I've been in for four or five years.

"I can't think about what if I get another head knock, that's when I will get hurt.

"I'm pretty confident, I've been doing all the training, doing all the stuff with my technique, tackling.

"I just might have to become one of those little American quarterbacks and try and stay out of trouble as much as I can."

AAP

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Reds starting lineup v Blues Trial Match:

G Holmes, S Moore, T Court, M Chapman, M Connors (c), H McMeniman, T McVerry, B Mowen, S Cordingley, B Barnes, C Brown, L Johansson, J Huxley, T Atkinson,C Latham;
    Res: P Niumata, S Hardman, A Mathison, C Treloar, O Avei, N Berry, A Brown, P Hynes, D Mitchell, D Croft, E Flatley.

Injuries: Number 8 John Roe (foot), prop Rodney Blake (knee), centre Steve Kefu (wrist), centre Duane Luki (hamstring), winger Henari Veratau (hamstring), winger Ben Tune (THE knee!) and halfback Josh Valentine (knee, test)

Greatest interest will be in League convert Berrick Barnes in this match having shown much promise on the preseason tour.
    Also Brett Stapletons school mate at The Southport School, Caleb Brown will want to make every post a winner straight out of school and should be gearing himself for a blinder.
    Andrew Brown comes into the centres following a successful two years in the Australian Sevens team and is in his first season of S14.
    After outstanding performances on the Wallabies Spring Tour, Latham, Mitchell and McMeniman will be looking to make a big impact for the Reds this year and Lloyd Johansson will be wanting to keep troubling Wallaby selectors as well.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Barnes impresses for Reds

Barnes impresses for Reds
    Sportal

The Queensland Reds have beaten the Auckland Blues 29-14 in their Super 14 trial at Ballymore, with Elton Flatley making a successful comeback for the Reds.

Flatley, who missed most of 2005 through injury, played the last 20 minutes of the match and came through unscathed which was a wonderful sign for Reds coach Jeff Miller.

Miller now has several options as to who he can put in the playmaking role, with Flatley, Julian Huxley and Berrick Barnes all vying for the same position.

Barnes continues to impress having switched club and codes from the Brisbane Broncos, and his performance in this trial was exceptional.

Barnes was important in helping the Reds to a 22-0 half time lead, with the highlight in the first half being Barnes' wonderful cross-field kick which landed straight into the arms of Mitchell Chapman who crossed for a try in the seventh minute.

Auckland came back strongly in the second half but a late try sealed the game for the Reds, as both teams were able to gain valuable match practice heading into the upcoming season.

The only injury to come out of the trial was a knee injury to Queensland winger Peter Hynes.

Reds 29
    Tries: Chapman 2, Atkinson, Avei
    Conversions: Huxley 2
    Penalties: Huxley

Blues 14
    Tries: Atiga, Waqaseduadua
    Conversions: Ward 2